The Tick

The tech you really hate setting up

Having to fix "broken" laptops for people. Honestly people..

I also hate this. Actually, I also hate removing bloatware on new laptops.

How about getting that brand new Dell and finding the LAN port don't work at all. :D

Mostly anything wireless. Printers and scanners are usually a doddle to setup.

Photocopiers are more complicated.

Booting into DOS in order to flash the BIOS in a SATA RAID card. Was my most recent painful experience.

The flashing process itself was straight forward but with no Floppy Drive, creating a USB DOS boot environment was a pain the the proverbial.

UNetBootin to the rescue.

Vendor installed Operating systems.

Creating a Gold image for automated installation (once it is setup then great, but just to get to that point with answer files etc...)

Printers, thank god most vendors are supplying UPDs these days.

The flashing process itself was straight forward but with no Floppy Drive, creating a USB DOS boot environment was a pain the the proverbial.

Why didn't you just make a dos boot cd?

Using Unetbootin on a USB thumb drive was quicker for me.

The annoying part was needing to download a DOS boot image and create the boot disk - it just shouldn't be necessary these days. It wasn't that it was difficult - just aggravating.

What do I like installing the least?

Other peoples stuff.

LOL, wish I could say the same except ... I do that for a living

I must agree with many of you. Printers are the bane of my existence. They aren't particularly hard, just annoying and boring.

I must agree with many of you. Printers are the bane of my existence. They aren't particularly hard, just annoying and boring.

This

Macs on a windows domain.

Don't like it and probably never will. This is more to my lack of work with them but to be honest I really don't think i want to work too much on them unless I get a mac for free or very cheap.

Oh, and drivers these days.

Why the fuck are the simplest driver packages, say for chipset 40mb, and product drivers like 200mb+

WTF?

Since when is the actual drive ever been that much over 1mb? Just give me the damn driver, I dont want your douchebag bloatware.

Why the fuck are the simplest driver packages, say for chipset 40mb, and product drivers like 200mb+

WTF?

Since when is the actual drive ever been that much over 1mb? Just give me the damn driver, I dont want your douchebag bloatware.

Actually, you'll find driver packages contain drivers for many versions not just that specific driver.

So you release one big package instead lots of little driver packages

Edited by Jeruselem

At work, I have gotten pretty good at extracting the bare driver files I actually need if possible. Some drivers are packaged in proprietary archive files which makes it extremely difficult.

WTF?

Actually, you'll find driver packages contain drivers for many versions not just that specific driver.

So you release one big package instead lots of little driver packages

Drivers are not that large. It's still bloatware.

I've looked at many of these, some of them have maybe 5 drivers for a series of sound chip, which may still total under 1mb, but comes in a 40mb package.

Or printer or scanner drivers for a single specific model, that start hitting half a CD.

Desktop PCs, be they Mac, Windows or Linux. Argh!

I hate printers too.

In fact, anything that the end user touches with their hands :(

I like installing pretty much everything.

Thing I hate, is then watching users fuck it all up by finding the one or two toolbars that don't require admin rights to install (but happen to be full of shit that fucks up our environment), that is what I hate.

I love installing computers, printers, scanners, copiers, MFDs, setting up mobiles (blackberries and iPhones etc), installing apps, running reports and all of that, it is fun and I enjoy it.

But I swear, one day, I am going to be charged with murder with a deadly keyboard or something!

Old laptops with fucked up proprietary driver packages.

+100

Especially ones which used RAID 0 in one drive (Toshibas).

network printers and FRONT PANNELS ON CASES!!!!

OMFG EVERTY USB CONNECTOR HAS A MASS OF INDIVIDUAL PINS

SWITCHES AND LEDs ARE ALWAYS POSITIONED DIFFERENTLY, and AAANNNDDDD NOT EVERY CASE LABELS THINGS THE SAME WAY!!!!! Just caus ONE decides to write the rows of pins in one order, doesnt mean the next board is the same.

None of my mates have front usb ports if i built it :P (i do it for free for mates) if they wanna work out the order of the bloody pins on their mobo, go ahead. dont get me STARTED on front firewire. or front USB3 with individual pins.

Printers.

I have to get up early in the morning just so that there is enough time in the day to hate them.

Lawl @ Dylan Moran quote.

I hate setting up any gadget that includes drivers/software on one of those goofy little 8cm CDRs... the last USB-RS232 converter I bought from WES springs to mind, but the same applies to any cheap chinese-made "Supah Speshaw Make DIGITAL LIFE al right lucky!!1" gadget that friends/family members received as gifts or purchased in some moment of stupid optimism because "it looked kinda cool".

I open the package, see the tiny little CD, swear, and piss off for a coffee + cigarette in a desperate effort to drum up the enthusiasm to tackle what I know is going to be a needlessly painful and pointless waste of my time.

Getting old games to work on XP/7 can be a nut-busting experience too these days.

I have the biggest issue with CPU coolers, they hate me for some reason. And I'm always so scared of breaking something.

Repatching network cabling is a pretty horrid job. And never looks neat, no matter how much time I send on it.

Anything with active sync never ever worked like it should have.

Wireless networking is pretty idiot proof these days, only call the isp for the internet login information. I had one router that wouldn't work but it rattled like a maccarena, we agreed that something inside wasn't screwed in properly.