nobody813

Show us your Rig

1300w would be happy with 3 overclocked titans

gtx680 sli only needs a good 650w psu maybe 750w with a high v oc maybe 850w if it was a rig with a cpu that sucks more power than 1155 and had a few extras

While it's true that SLI 680s only "need" 650w, as you mention, CPU overclocking can increase that up to 250w. Given that most PSUs run at their most efficient, and therefore quietest and coolest at around 50-75% load, there's something to be said for PSU overkill.

Although 1300w does seem a lot!

2011 may get up to that but it would take some crazy v to get a 1155 cpu to that v which is what it looks like was used in the system i was referring to :)

for a heavily overclock 2011 system 850w would probably be ideal for two top end cards like 680\titan\7970 and 1000w for three

this is not to say the psu wouldnt be working overly hard if you tried to do something crazy like run fur and linpac at the same time with ~1.6v on the cpu and gpu

Edited by Dasa

Guest xyzzy frobozz

gtx680 sli only needs a good 650w psu maybe 750w with a high v oc maybe 850w if it was a rig with a cpu that sucks more power than 1155 and had a few extras

While it's true that SLI 680s only "need" 650w, as you mention, CPU overclocking can increase that up to 250w. Given that most PSUs run at their most efficient, and therefore quietest and coolest at around 50-75% load, there's something to be said for PSU overkill.

2011 may get up to that but it would take some crazy v to get a 1155 cpu to that v which is what it looks like was used in the system i was referring to :)

for a heavily overclock 2011 system 850w would probably be ideal for two top end cards like 680\titan\7970 and 1000w for three

this is not to say the psu wouldnt be working overly hard if you tried to do something crazy like run fur and linpac at the same time with ~1.6v on the cpu and gpu

Well that's a good point too.

While we all buy PSUs on the basis of max usage, how often do the CPU and GPU actually run at 100%, let alone at the same time?

Just about never.

Oooh, can you get an image of the El Wire when its illuminated?

i've been trying. when i get a proper one i will upload it.

While we all buy PSUs on the basis of max usage, how often do the CPU and GPU actually run at 100%, let alone at the same time?

Just about never.

my pc idles 85w and gets up to 530w in crysis 2 so 650w would be cutting it a bit fine i guess

2600k at 4.3ghz 1.29v

two 7970 at 1050mhz stock v one at 1112mv the other at 1175mv

20w water pump 6 120mm fans 1hdd 1 ssd

Just about never.

When I play Arma 3 my cpu maxes 100% on all 4 cores and 100% on the GPU :P

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Just about never.

Stop playing it on Xbox!

;-P

interestingly enough there is still a massive difference in power use at 100% depending on the work type

interestingly enough there is still a massive difference in power use at 100% depending on the work type

and different things have different definitions of 100% load. furmark and kombustor run fine on my PC ~77 degrees temps. but bitcoin mining or the metro 2033 loading screen will crash it.

Yeah I'm aware of that, was a tongue in cheek comment :P

Guest xyzzy frobozz

and different things have different definitions of 100% load. furmark and kombustor run fine on my PC ~77 degrees temps. but bitcoin mining or the metro 2033 loading screen will crash it.

iTunes will lockup my computer almost without fail, but I blame Apple's shitty fucking program, not my computer....

:-)

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

here's the final photos, now i just need to get my OCs working, GPU is too high, CPU can go higher.

i will upload the rest tomorrow

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by noskcaj

I'm putting together a new Z77/Ivy/7950 Crossfire setup tomorrow so I'll be sure to put up an image or two. :)

Completed my new build tonight.

Intel Core i5 3570K

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3

Gigabyte HD7950 3gb Overclocked (900MHz factory core) in Crossfire

Creative X-Fi Titanium

Corsair H100 with two Corsair SP120 Performance fans.

Corsiar HX-750 PSU

1x Intel 520 series 120gb SSD

4x WD/Seagate mechanicals of various sizes.

All neatly stuffed inside an NZXT Switch 810 White.

CPU idle temps: 29-33c

GPU idle temps: 32c @ 30% fan speed

That's idling almost 50% cooler than my old system in the same case which ran at higher fan speeds.

Posted Image

Edited by Ezkaton

Thanks.

Tonight's job is to OC the CPU to 4.5GHz and bump the RAM up to 1600MHz. :)

Found out last night that my GPUs 'boost' automatically to 1000MHz under load, up from the already factory OC of 900MHz.

Score!

ROCK SOLID 60fps (capped) in the new Tomb Raider with TressFX turned on and everything else maxed out at 1920x1080.

GPUs don't go over 70c @ 30% fan speed under heavy load. :)

I'm happy.

EDIT: Got 4.5GHz stable at 1.34v but it ran at 80c under full load.

Not happy with the temp so I dropped it back to stock 'boost' at 3.8GHz for now.

Edited by Ezkaton

Few weeks back I decided to get a new coolermaster HAF XB case, bit of an improvement over a the generic case I had with this system inside. This is my 2nd PC that my brother frequently uses when he comes around.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This all was done on the first attempt, very very easy case to work with that allows you to cable manage with ease. I'm ordering in some gear to make it look a little bit snazzier and when I get it done i'll post the pics.. should look nicer :) I recommend this case though, quite a good buy.

I like it...looks fun and easy to work in

Definitely is. Only setback i'd say is the size, not for the smaller sized rooms or desks (which doesn't hinder my current situation fortunately)

This is an update photo of my new PC. I have already posted the full system previously not too long ago. I put this one up because I doubled my ram. You say cramped what specifically? Because if you are talking about the CPU cooler and ram modules then you are correct they are nearly touching.

But here is an updated full pic for your pleasure.

Posted Image

I said cramped because you put the camera so close to everything with no text to explain why... it almost looked like a parody of some sort.

The second pic is much better.

Edited by Ezkaton

Is the ram Kingston HyperX?

I had sticks like that with a very similar CPU cooler in my partners pc, she loved the cooler and ram coz they were both blue, but they were literally touching =/

yess. it de hyperX with the extra long heatsinks. The ram just squeezed into place alongside the cooler. they are very close to not fitting, but it is not affecting actual operative ability.

Time for a PC clean and revamp

replaced stock coolermaster fans with bitfenix fans. also installed some strip LEDs and created the plate for the 5.25 bays

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image