wraith676

Civ 5

IIRC, Civ IV had a significant patch shortly after release, major playability and stability issues.

Time to start saving my shekels.

I hate it when it doesn't remember your advance setup of preparing a custom game.

What is even more annoying is the AI and friendship towards me no matter how i try to improve relations they always want to attack me.

I once started in a rich region of silver and gold, my starting city, Rome was near Cattle, Grapes and 3 silver mines. Both Arabia and Greece asks freebies of my silver. So i accept then when i want their furs or gems early in the game they refuse, no matter if i give all, do research agreements, open borders at some point in the 100th turn one of them attacks me. When we both have balanced army as well.

So always when i play, i do it alone just like North Korea, screw the other Civs.

I also found out that one civilization has a collection of wonders so early on the game, its even worse if its civilizations that are less focused on military but more with culture.. It's more worse if they use Tradition policy. ugghh! I'm playing on Warlord level, i found Prince level a lot harder, the armies are so much aggressive and like to attack me early on the game.

Still fun, i just have to work super hard to try and get at least 1 wonder

Argh, so annoyed at the end of turn thing.

You'd be stupid to end your turn in a multiplayer game with this crap; so everyone's just going to wait for the turn timer to count down; boring!

Fix this!

Well Im not a civ fan normally but this has me hooked. i spent all night last night playing it and I slept dreaming about tiles and where to build stuff.

I then went to work thinking about trades and how I exploited countries.

So adctive that it ate my time without me even realising it.

I caved.

Ordering Civ 5 Deluxe now, from Steam, for USD$59.99. Except it spits up an error when I enter payment details, but is very vague on what actually is going wrong. Pfah.

The pace is a little too slow for me tbh. It takes a ridiculously large number of turns for you to build anything and you can't put more construction points on it cos your fucking city would be starving to death. Plus you get bugger all gold.

I think the economy system needs a bit more work so you can actually get some automatic trade going to increase your revenue.

Got my arse handed to me on a silver plate last night on Prince level. While I was fighting off 3 consecutive invasions, Persia was building a massive army and started attacking with helicopters when all I had were riflemen.

Is there a way to restrict the era?

Anyways, it's a fun game but can be frustrating, I remember Rise of Nations did the same thing but at a faster pace. Civ could take a few tips from TW on AI too.

Edited by Oracle X

Well, I think I've played this game enough to come to a proper conclusion.

Civ 5 is meh. It's either still in Beta, or Sid and co have completely lost the plot.

One big sticking point is that the AI is just retarded, and the more I play it, the more I notice things that tells me that it isn't even playing by the same rules as I am. Infinite happiness? Money just doesn't matter for them? Diplomacy is just random?

Then there are the small things - Happiness doesn't scale when playing on larger maps, meaning that the world remains essentially empty after a few civs bit the bullet.

Razing cities is basically the only option as far as I'm concerned. Why pay for buildings that you don't want, as well as a courthouse - which takes longer to build than just using that newly captured city to build a settler, and start a new city without the stupid courthouse or unhappiness.

And the amount of cool things they've removed from the series! No more vassals, colonies, alliances, espionage, religion, etc. Due to the new global happiness feature, some of these things would've been perfect for this game.

Firaxis have just lost a will-buy-it-on-day-of-release customer, and have received a brand new will-wait-and-see customer. The above problems could probably be ignored if the game wasn't so full of bugs and glitches. But, this is quite possibly the most big-filled games I've ever had the displeasure of playing.

I'm not the only one judging by the reactions on the 2K forums and Civ Fanatic's forums.

If they had of just used the money they obviously payed for some of the glowing reviews on keeping their staff back in July, then maybe this game would've been a lot more well received by its fan-base.

Given I only received my copy a few days ago and started playing last night, I'm not really in a position to say much :)

My first impressions are, it looks fantastic, but everything seems to take forever. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just that the pace of the previous game was faster. Some of the faults/omissions previously mentioned aren't good, and I do wonder about the positive reviews...

Well, I think I've played this game enough to come to a proper conclusion.

Civ 5 is meh. It's either still in Beta, or Sid and co have completely lost the plot.

One big sticking point is that the AI is just retarded, and the more I play it, the more I notice things that tells me that it isn't even playing by the same rules as I am. Infinite happiness? Money just doesn't matter for them? Diplomacy is just random?

Then there are the small things - Happiness doesn't scale when playing on larger maps, meaning that the world remains essentially empty after a few civs bit the bullet.

Razing cities is basically the only option as far as I'm concerned. Why pay for buildings that you don't want, as well as a courthouse - which takes longer to build than just using that newly captured city to build a settler, and start a new city without the stupid courthouse or unhappiness.

And the amount of cool things they've removed from the series! No more vassals, colonies, alliances, espionage, religion, etc. Due to the new global happiness feature, some of these things would've been perfect for this game.

Firaxis have just lost a will-buy-it-on-day-of-release customer, and have received a brand new will-wait-and-see customer. The above problems could probably be ignored if the game wasn't so full of bugs and glitches. But, this is quite possibly the most big-filled games I've ever had the displeasure of playing.

I'm not the only one judging by the reactions on the 2K forums and Civ Fanatic's forums.

If they had of just used the money they obviously payed for some of the glowing reviews on keeping their staff back in July, then maybe this game would've been a lot more well received by its fan-base.

I agree to a point, but I'm still a fan.

The AI is a bit odd at times, but not totally ridiculous.

I disagree with razing, I always choose the puppet option if they're of a certain size, ~3+. I can't wait around to raze, nor do I want to lose all of those existing buildings. Besides, they often build colosseum and theatres anyway, which is typically what I need.

Allying maritime city-states is definitely OP.

My mates and I all agree that there's a lot missing; we suspect it's so that they can sell 'new' features in expansion packs in 12 months time.

Edited by Periander

civ3 still pretty much is the daddy, IV was poo, V feels great but I agree, its slow and detail is lacking eg: polution ec

I've been playing this pretty regularly the past week or so.

It's not as good as I hoped but there is a lot of little changes that I think make the game a whole new playing field, so unless you have time to really sit down and play it, you will miss out on a bit.

I'm in the same boat.

There are a few omissions that annoy me :

* No transports

* meagre movies when wonders are built (I loved these in Civ 3)

* Inability to easily guard a non-combat unit - you cant stack a naval unit on an embarked worker for example. This becomes VERY tiresome when you're trying to guard settlers/workers

* AI players take forever to have their turn - I'm running an i7 870 and it's slow

* There should be limited stacking, not no stacking

* how do I easily maintain the balance between research/gold/culture ? This was easier in Civ 4

*Can I trade maps and tech?

There are some great changes, like the hex map, cities able to bombard.

I need to play more to get the feel...

You can stack some unit types - generally one combat with one non-combat. On land, at least. Not sure about embarked combat/non-combat.

As far as slowness goes, I'm noticing the game is taking forever, late-game, just flicking between units of my own, let alone the AI. Checked resmon and the program isn't even using 30% CPU time.

Edited by Nich...

Fully agree there macca. These changes have made things a lot more boring and harder to use in my eyes.

Also, one thing I noticed is that you cannot hide other players moves, your moves or attack moves like you could in IV. Which sped things up greatly. This whole waiting for a minute or two till you get your next turn is bollocks especially on a newer spec system.

I've found that playing a custom quick game is a better way to do things, it moves a lot faster than the super slow normal. I'd compare quick in V to normal in IV.

just got the game, anyone keep getting told to wait a few minutes to install the game as the servers are too busy?

Are you filtering ports to only connect to, say, Gamearena/Telstra Steam servers? 'cos that would probably do it.

:(

One thing I always enjoyed in Civ 4 were the end of game stats and the 'replay', so you could fast forward to see how the game panned out. The stats were quite detailed, units & buildings killed, rankings by criteria, etc.

They have pulled the guts out of this completely. From what I've gathered in a bit of googling, it looks like Civ 5 simply doesn't track a lot of the stats or game state any more, so it's impossible to show and unlikely to be added back in.

I do like many of the things they have added, but some of the features they have pulled are just stupid IMO. At the moment I think it's probably on par with Civ 4, different, but not better or worse. Given the length of time between the two releases, on par is a bit of a let down...

Are you filtering ports to only connect to, say, Gamearena/Telstra Steam servers? 'cos that would probably do it.

damn. thanks.

this is stupid, have to download 4.5GB just to play thre fucking game, and i cant use a filter to do it. this is why i hate steam. / rant

Edited by tunksy

It's not a Steam issue, it's a Gamearena issue. They host the server, and they are a big and popular server.

Macdude, with the transport thing you mentioned.

Every unit is its own transport.

i.e. afaik any unit can "embark" onto sea tiles and they become a sea transport.

Does Civ 5 have the same thing that the past Civ's did where, once you become powerful enough completing the map is a formality?

They used to get to a point where oyu were so powerful that you were unstoppable but completing the stage would take another hour or more and is mindlessly easy.

I guess that has always been my biggest gripe the climax of the game is early int he map and it fizzles down at the end and becomes boring once you are powerful.

i will be getting this has a xmas gift for myself but which would be the better opition? the steam version or the retail disc version?...i am kind of leaning toward getting the disc version as i like having a collection of games on my shelf)

Edited by jdog

These days I prefer steam because it keeps all my games in one place.

I don't have much space to store a large collection of games really even tho I have over 100titles on hard copy.

I guess bandwidth is also an issue, sometimes its a pain to have to DL a game when you get that itch to play it.

Macdude, with the transport thing you mentioned.

Every unit is its own transport.

i.e. afaik any unit can "embark" onto sea tiles and they become a sea transport.

Correct, and I call that bullshit :) I disagree with the concept that any unit can just jump into the sea at any point and paddle like crazy.

Also, if you do this, it's difficult to get your naval units to guard the embarked units as I don't see a way of grouping/stacking them together.