Sign in to follow this  
Takoma

Destroy computer and go do outside stuff for a year

I have no problem curtailing my PC use, and have a perfectly adequate social life. Really. No, really. Stop looking at me like that. T_T

Okay so we all probably have to battle with excessive PC use sometime in our lives. My advice? Turn the fucker off and unplug it. Go cold turkey for a while. If you destroy your computer you will probably hate yourself. Anyway, it's not your computer's fault, it's YOUR fault.

Start some things which will take up your time after work. Team sports are great as mentioned, but not necessarily for everyone. Change your lifestyle at the same time.

Really, you need to start to feel good about the positive changes you make. Take pride in sticking to a routine, and get satisfaction through eating things you know will help your body to run better.

It is not necessary to actually destroy your computer. Give it away if you have to.

You should get to the stage when you use your PC less to fill in time, and more as downtime in between your other commitments.

Edit: Note that there's nothing essentially wrong with heavy computer and net usage, unless you think there is. If you think it's effecting you in a negative way, time to change something.

Edited by jetsam

Well if you do it I will buy your monitor off you... If it does HDMI

Edited by Mills

I couldnt nuke the data. the hardware.... well ok, but I just try limit it to dark hours, and daylight means go do something.

I think these days you would really need a computer to go about your day to day activities if you rely on one so heavily at the moment. Why not just go outside and do outside activities without destroying your computer, or are you that dependent that you have to destroy it?

I'm afraid we are going to evolve into salamander-like creatures with little thin legs, and light sensitivity. I urge people to get a place that has some land. Planting, landscaping etc.. that way you won't end up like a spaghetti-armed worm with a che guievarra shirt, or communist red star---ooooh-trendy. Alittle muscle tone is good, and your don't want your heart to turn into an undersized ham hock.

You wanted a railway job, but got knocked back because of your size, yeah?

I'm surprised you haven't done so already. The more active you are, the more weight you'll lose. Then if you're serious about that rail job, you'll have incentive to shift however much weight it is that is required of you to be considered for the role.

Certainly sitting on your arse playing games or surfing the net isn't going to do that for you.

I'd follow this guy into virtual battle any day. well said.

You wanted a railway job

Yep

but got knocked back because of your size, yeah?

Nup

I was making headway on it regardless though, until the collarbone thing. That's been going on about three months and has undone most of it. Now the process starts again (and I applied for another train job a couple of weeks ago, too).

--edit-- And forget the TV, it's a non-issue. I only watch movies on it, and then only once or twice a week. I grew up on a farm with no TV, I got my first set about three years ago at the age of 25 and ignored it totally :p

I lost 57 pounds in early teens. rules to lose weight by: get up from the table hungry, do not eat past 7pm, lots of water to feel full, vegetables 'til you can't stand it, cantaloupe/watermelon are low cal, iced fruit sorbet for treats, small favorite treat bender after losing say 15 pounds--we must have some fun in life. avoid 'healthy muffins' --the calories are absurd.

RE: collarbone--some good physical therapy to get your range of motion back. swimming if Ok'd by doctor.

I am six foot five, 280 pounds and only 25 overweight. I changed. I am mule-headed, love to eat, cook. It was swimming and weighlifting. I'm not a six pack abs, or rippling muscle--but I'm in a pretty good place.

God(of your choice) Bless.

Tak my suggestion is to go one month without computers. No phone, no PC, no TV, no Console. If you need to do banking go into a branch.

I'm sure for one month you can survive and this will help break the tech cycle you're in. After one month you can come here and write a little post about how it felt for you.