Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Pomky

Whats the difference between front loader and top loader

Well Mudg3 bought a front loader washing machine for the sharehouse and I'm just wondering how they differ to a top loader which I've always used apart from being harder to poke shit into, I might put it on a wooden box or the remains of the old one to alleviate that issue so what else sets them apart.

Cheers

Fronts tend to be more water efficient, need a low sudsing detergent and are less harsh on clothes.

Fronts tend to be more water efficient, need a low sudsing detergent and are less harsh on clothes.

\

Thank god my flannies are safe.

And my stubbies. :P

In the olden days, top loaders used way more water. These days, if you get a brand new "smart" washing machine, the difference isn't that great.

I prefer front loaders - I think they're more efficient and they don't destroy your clothes as much. But that's just from my own experiences; perhaps the top loaders I've used have just been shitty.

With a front-loader if you put the clothes on top they won't actually fall into the machine. This is in stark contrast to the washers of time gone by.

Rob.

low sudsing detergent

Don't learn this the hard way like I did.

Thankfully wasn't my washing machine, but I swear I have never seen so many bubbles.

With a front-loader if you put the clothes on top they won't actually fall into the machine. This is in stark contrast to the washers of time gone by.

Rob.

1. place front loader on it's back, creating efficient top loader.

2.???????

3.profit!

If a cat managed to be it a front loader its kinda screwed. In a top loader I would imagine it would have more of a chance.

I do know of a story of one cat that was in a front loader but came out alive, the poor, lucky, thing.

If a cat managed to be it a front loader its kinda screwed. In a top loader I would imagine it would have more of a chance.

Wanna try that again? :P

Rob.

I do know of a story of one cat that was in a front loader but came out alive, the poor, lucky, thing.

How did the cat get in there? :|

Wanna try that again? :P

Rob.

To the Lab!! This needs proper testing

Rob.

to quote you...." Har Har "

:D

Top loaders 'generally' have a quicker cycle (haven't tried the latest front loaders so don't quote me)

Top loaders can actually be opened to add that last minute dirty garment you found that you dropped on the bathroom floor instead of waiting for the next load.

Top loaders can be just as water efficient if you utilise your grey water.

As has been said... if your cat falls into your front loader you'll be lucky if it comes out alive.

Top loaders are quicker, less efficient, and much rougher on your clothes.

Front loaders are much slower, more efficient, and are gentler on your clothes.

Cheeky hates our front loader combo machine, i think its fkn awesome. I much prefer it to the top loader we used to have.

It takes just over an hour to do a full load of just washing, and about 4 hours to do a full wash and dry cycle.

How did the cat get in there? :|

Not sure.

My assumption at the time was that the thing was left open and full of clothes, the cat jumped in and slept then the thing got put on while it was still there.

Then again I do know that my old cat, when a kitten, hopped into the fridge. Luckily my mum was only making tea so the door was opened fairly soon and ym mum was confronted by a very cold kitten.

If you get a top loader without a central agitator, it's gentle on your clothes.

I guess I dont mind the front loader for washing only. I just dont like the washer/drier combo!

As Juggs says, its takes 4 fucking hours to wash and dry a load in the front loader combo. I HATE IT!!! I used to have a top loader washer and a drier. I loved that because it would take about an hour or so, maybe 45-50 mins to wash a load and 1 hour in the drier. And while that load was in the drier, I had my 2nd load in the washer so as soon as load 1 was done in the drier, load 2 was in the drier an load 3 was ready to be washed immediately.

So for the time it takes to wash and dry 1 load in Juggs' magical combo machine, the old top loader and drier had 3 done!!

I dont have time to sit around waiting like that. I much prefered my old system, like a production line. I got more done, quicker.

Just make sure with your front loader you buy the powder for FRONT LOADERS only. They are usually clearly labelled as front loader or "matic" in the title somewhere.

As others have said, make sure you use detergent for front loaders only

Otherwise you are going to need to invite friends over for a soap sud disco

I guess I dont mind the front loader for washing only. I just dont like the washer/drier combo!

As Juggs says, its takes 4 fucking hours to wash and dry a load in the front loader combo. I HATE IT!!! I used to have a top loader washer and a drier. I loved that because it would take about an hour or so, maybe 45-50 mins to wash a load and 1 hour in the drier. And while that load was in the drier, I had my 2nd load in the washer so as soon as load 1 was done in the drier, load 2 was in the drier an load 3 was ready to be washed immediately.

So for the time it takes to wash and dry 1 load in Juggs' magical combo machine, the old top loader and drier had 3 done!!

I dont have time to sit around waiting like that. I much prefered my old system, like a production line. I got more done, quicker.

Just make sure with your front loader you buy the powder for FRONT LOADERS only. They are usually clearly labelled as front loader or "matic" in the title somewhere.

you could hang said clothes out on the washing line or under the house if you live in a double story house if you want them done faster.

I love my front loader :)

Uses less powder, uses less water, and it's not really possible to overfill it (the door won't close if you try).

AFAIK front loaders also have a much faster spin cycle, meaning that the clothes come out drier than they would if it was a front loader.

you could hang said clothes out on the washing line or under the house if you live in a double story house if you want them done faster.

This is what we actually do. The whole production line thing only ever really applied when we lived in a unit a few years ago and had nowhere to hang clothes. Now we do, it takes even less time on a nice day - about an hour to wash and about 45 mins to dry on the line. Cheaper, cleaner, faster.

The biggest plus with the combo unit is that it is convenient. I can put a full load of washing on late at night (the last load of the day, or the load you meant to put on earlier but totally forgot about - usually full of work clothes) or i can put a load on during the day if its necessary to have certain clothes cleaned for that night and i cant be around to transfer from one machine to the other, or from machine to the line (eg. at work, busy weekend etc).

There were times where we would have to stay up even later than desired to ensure that the load was moved from washer to dryer, not something we have to worry about any more. Set, forget, wake up to toasty socks/undies/uniforms.

I'd not go back to seperate units even if you paid me. At the very least i'll consider a second dryer, but still feel its fairly unneccessary.

Edited by Juggalo Scrub