Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
motiv

Help needed: low power citrix xenapp server

Hey all,

I am looking to setup a low power citrix server to run a couple of my windows related work programs through my iPad

As it stands, I have No issue in connecting through my work's citrix programs on my iPad, although I require access to certain local programs that they will not load due to company policies.

As this is the case, I figured how hard will it be to setup my own at home which will need to run ~ 10+ hours a day.

So, my questions are

where do I start?

what tech would you recommend as I would require this to be relatively low power?

how easy is it to setup?

Will my current upload speed of 1mbit affect the performance?

Thanks in advance

Rob

I wanted a low power solution for my ZFS NAS recently so I went with an Athlon 'E' series processor.

I know it's not as powerfull as an I5 but it's ideal for my purposes.

I'm running 4GB RAM and have 6 drives in two zpools, and have OpenSolaris hosting one instance of Virtualbox most of the time. I'm averaging 20% CPU utilization under these conditions.

CPU : AMD Athlon II X3 400e 2.2Ghz, 1.5MB Cache, Triple Core, 45w Energy Efficient

Motherboard: ASUS - M4A78LT-M-LE

Hope that is of interest.

Thanks,

That does open my mind a little and presents another question. Is citrix necessary, is there any other alternative I can use to access a single windows program through my iPad on a virtual environment. I have not checked if there are suitable iPad apps, although I do know and run citrix client on this thing.

Hrmm.

That might be a good option, run a low power, cheap computer/server with minimal components, don't think an atom box will cut it as I have one spare..

Anywho, please keep the options coming to help me figure this out.

Rob

If you've got an Atom board on hand then you don't really have much to lose by trying it. If you find you need more horsepower then you can always replace the Atom board with something with a little more grunt.

Thanks,

That does open my mind a little and presents another question. Is citrix necessary, is there any other alternative I can use to access a single windows program through my iPad on a virtual environment. I have not checked if there are suitable iPad apps, although I do know and run citrix client on this thing.

Hrmm.

That might be a good option, run a low power, cheap computer/server with minimal components, don't think an atom box will cut it as I have one spare..

Rob

I think that you are missing the simple...

You could easily set up RDP (Remote Desktop) to log on to your computer at home\work. Just keep in mind that you will need to open a port in your firewall, and setup port forwarding.

This solution is not perfect, but will be a lot easier then setting up citrix if you are unfamiliar with the software.

Your other option that is the easiest of them all. Get teamviewer and install it on both your iPad and computer and connect that way.. goes through port 80 so don't have any further setup..

I won't explain either of these in detail till you tell us what you are using it for. high graphics will be better through citrix, but if you just want to connect the RPD\teamviewer will sort you out.

Thanks user interface.

Well, the option of citrix was on the basis our crm/crystal reports are handled by our citrix server located in hamburg. I would only need remote access to our simple information system program, which is GUI based, but not graphic intensive.

I have not dived too much into the capabilities of the iPad with the exception of citrix, but I had thought remote desktop was not an option. I'll have a look at the teamviewer program you mention and see if it suitable. Just with my current pc. I would not running hours on end but if this program will work well. I could try load it on some of my lower power pc components

Thanks for that

Rob

Thanks,

Hrmm.

Rob

I think that you are missing the simple...

You could easily set up RDP (Remote Desktop) to log on to your computer at home\work. Just keep in mind that you will need to open a port in your firewall, and setup port forwarding.

This solution is not perfect, but will be a lot easier then setting up citrix if you are unfamiliar with the software.

Your other option that is the easiest of them all. Get teamviewer and install it on both your iPad and computer and connect that way.. goes through port 80 so don't have any further setup..

I won't explain either of these in detail till you tell us what you are using it for. high graphics will be better through citrix, but if you just want to connect the RPD\teamviewer will sort you out.