Sign in to follow this  
lazyfly

Is i7 870 worth it over i5 760?

Hi folksies.

Topic says it all. i5 760 is $250 and the i7 870 is $360. Is it worth the premium for gaming, general computing, SketchUp and a bit of proper CAD work?

I'm not spending more than that on a CPU either, so no other suggestions please, plus P55 is a pretty cheap chipset :)

Cheers

Ken

i7 870 advantages are ht and a higher clock speed

ht isnt worth it in games and i doubt it would be noticeable for you in the others great for video encoding work and such though

the extra clock speeds dont mean jack if you take the time to do a small and easy overclock

imo go the i5 760 and spend some of what you save on a hsf like the hyper 912+ $39

I've built afew 760 pc's for customers, mainly for general computing and game here and there. I'm pretty pleased with the performance and price.

All measurable by how long this upgrade will last if you ask me.

About a year? i5 760. More than a year? i7 870.

$110 over a few years is nothing.

I'd basically agree with everything above, but to sum it up: for an upgrade that lasts less than a couple of years and is gaming-centric, the i5 760 would be the best bet, if you're into heavily threaded apps like video encoding, or want the rig to be optimised for more than a couple of years the i7 860 would become the idea choice. So more than likely for you the 760 would be ideal.

Edited by philo-sofa

Hi fellas, thanks for all the replies.

Don't say 12 months or so for a 760, I just bought my kid a i5 750 system and want that to last for a couple years at least! I'm getting a couple of better components because his will be upgraded first in future -- so mine will need to last a bit longer. If that makes sense then good, if not, never mind.

I'm gonna go the 870, how much this bares on the time for another upgrade is questionable, I think. They both appear to OC like a mofo which is good! I'll be happy with 3.6 for a couple of years. A 5870 etc etc. I'm most looking forward to a SSD but they seem to break a lot so stuff them for another gen -- though they certainly seem to be getting better.

So again, thank you to the replies.

Hi fellas, thanks for all the replies.

Don't say 12 months or so for a 760, I just bought my kid a i5 750 system and want that to last for a couple years at least! I'm getting a couple of better components because his will be upgraded first in future -- so mine will need to last a bit longer. If that makes sense then good, if not, never mind.

I'm gonna go the 870, how much this bares on the time for another upgrade is questionable, I think. They both appear to OC like a mofo which is good! I'll be happy with 3.6 for a couple of years. A 5870 etc etc. I'm most looking forward to a SSD but they seem to break a lot so stuff them for another gen -- though they certainly seem to be getting better.

So again, thank you to the replies.

ive got the 860 and its a wicked Cpu, ive tried straining it, and its a hard thing to do, i dont overclock, but the built in turbo boost is good, current while im writing this everest is showing 1.8ghz @ 0.90 volts

i know the 870 cost alot of $$$ a few months back, but since the 875k came out, they have dropped alot

Edited by tuner

Im the same with tuner

I also have a 860 and havent OC it (as i dont know how) but its great and fast plus it was what I was looking for.