Sign in to follow this  
spaced

Coalition to revive identity card

Source: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology...0820-12ujb.html

I can see this being expanded to include everyone, not just welfare in the future (considering this was the original plan). How would you feel if this encompassed all citizens?

Coalition to revive identity card Tim Colebatch

August 20, 2010

A COALITION government would revive the controversial Howard-era plan for a national access card to identify every individual receiving government benefits, shadow treasurer Joe Hockey has revealed.

On the eve of what Prime Minister Julia Gillard says will be a ''cliffhanger'' federal election, Mr Hockey has told The Age that giving everyone a single identifier for access to health and welfare benefits could lead to ''massive improvements in productivity in health and welfare''.

But instead of everyone having a card, this time the identifier could be in electronic form.

Big deal...let's see what we already have like that:

- Tax File Number

- Medicare Card

- Driver's License

Another number/card isn't going to matter to most people, only the paranoid.

Beat me to it, hund.

I've never quite understood the fear of an identity card.

Yeah, it's not like we don't have enough of them already...oh...Passport anyone? Birth certificate? Citizenship papers?

Hell, the US have the Social Security number, without which you can't do a thing over there...seems to work fine.

Some people just have to be paranoid and retarded for the sake of it (not pointing at the OP here...just to be clear).

If it means an extra card to carry around - fuck that.

But if it can serve the purpose of all previous cards which I mostly use to prove my identity, bring it.

Most Western countries have an identity card.

I think that having a single card/number which covers medicare, tax, welfare, etc. will improve services. Government agencies will be better able to cross-reference data and there would be less duplication when filling in forms, etc.

The people who are afraid of an identity card are just paranoid. There's nothing the government could do with an identity card that it can't already do with the hundreds of identifiers that everybody has.

I'm fine with the idea, as long as it is not a radio-activated chip.

Smart-card only, and I'm down with it, for replacing all my other cards.

Oh. If I *have* to carry it, then I'm moving.

Gee Mr Abbott is grave digging for new ideas. Might as well just carry around with a card with me tax file number on it for ID.

Edited by Jeruselem

If it takes over all my other governement issued cards thats fine, fuckers weigh me down I have so many.

I have no problem with this. In fact i would like one reference to be used when dealing with the government.

I have no problem with this. In fact i would like one reference to be used when dealing with the government.

Just don't let your mates borrow it when they are drink driving.

Cards are olden days technology. A simple microchip implanted in the brain stem would be a much more convenient alternative.

Where to?

Canada.

Or Brazil.

Where to?

Canada.

Or Brazil.

So you're fine with the idea, though if you're required to carry it then you're not okay with the idea?

Where to?

Canada.

Or Brazil.

So you're fine with the idea, though if you're required to carry it then you're not okay with the idea?

Or if it is radio based, not contact based.

So, I refuse to live in a country were identification is required to be carried at all times, or where the identification can be used to track me while I'm carrying it, even if not used.

Where to?

Canada.

Or Brazil.

Or if it is radio based, not contact based.

So, I refuse to live in a country were identification is required to be carried at all times, or where the identification can be used to track me while I'm carrying it, even if not used.

Agree on the RFI tracking of ID cards...that is totally fucked and I would staple mine to the cat.

I don't have any issues with being required to carry one that isn't trackable though. I carry my license everywhere I go...

Edited by twinair

A drivers license doesnt identify you, only declares you qualified to drive.

Yeah righto.

I'm not against the idea on similar provisos to many around here. Had a wall'o'text, but basically it should work and run on the same possession requirements as current ID, but combine multiple State-issued documents into one Smart-card WIHTOUT RFID.

So for instance, if I'm driving it will be compulsory for me to hold EITHER my licence OR my ID card.

Declares who (or is it whom?) qualified to drive? Oh, that's right, the person identified by the information and photo on the card!

/shakes head

I'm not against the idea on similar provisos to many around here. Had a wall'o'text, but basically it should work and run on the same possession requirements as current ID, but combine multiple State-issued documents into one Smart-card WIHTOUT RFID.

So for instance, if I'm driving it will be compulsory for me to hold EITHER my licence OR my ID card.

Declares who (or is it whom?) qualified to drive? Oh, that's right, the person identified by the information and photo on the card!

/shakes head

He wants to be the next 1shot.

The thing about a drivers license is that its not required to carry at all times - only when you're driving.

If i'm asked to identify myself, there is no requirement for me to have any forms of identification on me at all times. There are situations where it is required, such as driving, but if i'm on public transport or walking down pitt st mall, i am not legally required to carry any forms of ID at all.

So i agree with Vanna. I don't mind the idea of a one stop card, but i don't want to be required to carry it at all times (or be required to produce it on demand), and i don't want RFID.

The thing about a drivers license is that its not required to carry at all times - only when you're driving.

Do you take it out of your wallet when not driving?