Sign in to follow this  
Girvo

Holy Smokes: HTC Touch HD!

http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket-pc-pr...e-htc-touch-hd/

Check. That. Beauty.

Gorgeous screen, WVGA, but it's the same size screen [although possibly bigger according to some readers!] [and same size in general] to the iPhone! Imagine the clarity of it. Crazy.

It's running the TouchFLO 3D interface a-top a Qualcomm 7201a chipset.

Now, dissapointments:

1. Qualcomm Chipset

This chipset is without hardware acceleration [the "A" at the end of the chipset number designates that]. Now, with the correct drivers it's not too much of an issue, but I hope to God that they'll drop the "A" before the device is released. As it stands, with 528mhz processor backing it up, it *should* do alright. Quake 2 should run well :P

2. Resistive Touchscreen

Now, this one isn't even certain. HTC have gotten the Capacitive thing down with the Diamond's navigation pad [it's capacitive, and multi-touch is enabled, just not used], so I hope this will be fully capacitive. However, I'm not sure, and in all likelyhood it will be a single-touch resistive screen. Which kinda puts a damper on gaming.

The only thing that makes me think otherwise is the complete lack of a D-Pad. That is interesting. We shall see when we've got more than spy-shots :)

All-in-all, I'd get one! :)

http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket-pc-pr...e-htc-touch-hd/

Check. That. Beauty.

Gorgeous screen, WVGA, but it's the same size screen [although possibly bigger according to some readers!] [and same size in general] to the iPhone! Imagine the clarity of it. Crazy.

It's running the TouchFLO 3D interface a-top a Qualcomm 7201a chipset.

Now, dissapointments:

1. Qualcomm Chipset

This chipset is without hardware acceleration [the "A" at the end of the chipset number designates that]. Now, with the correct drivers it's not too much of an issue, but I hope to God that they'll drop the "A" before the device is released. As it stands, with 528mhz processor backing it up, it *should* do alright. Quake 2 should run well :P

2. Resistive Touchscreen

Now, this one isn't even certain. HTC have gotten the Capacitive thing down with the Diamond's navigation pad [it's capacitive, and multi-touch is enabled, just not used], so I hope this will be fully capacitive. However, I'm not sure, and in all likelyhood it will be a single-touch resistive screen. Which kinda puts a damper on gaming.

The only thing that makes me think otherwise is the complete lack of a D-Pad. That is interesting. We shall see when we've got more than spy-shots :)

All-in-all, I'd get one! :)

I want that or Google Android / HTC Dream...

To be honest, the Dream looks a little... kiddy for me. I'd prefer hardware like this with Android on it :)

Well that's a mixed bag and I'm completely underwhelmed. I knew there was something like this floating around thanks to the inaccurate rumour mill, but that thing just completely does nothing for me.

Ok sure, the screen looks pretty, but the hardware, and zero buttons (not even a dpad?) puts it out of my desires :P

Well that's a mixed bag and I'm completely underwhelmed. I knew there was something like this floating around thanks to the inaccurate rumour mill, but that thing just completely does nothing for me.

Ok sure, the screen looks pretty, but the hardware, and zero buttons (not even a dpad?) puts it out of my desires :P

You know what gets me?

The lack of onboard flash.

Serious, if they want this to be an iPhone competitor, they need at least 8Gb built in. Otherwise, who the hell is the target market? :S

You know what gets me?

The lack of onboard flash.

Serious, if they want this to be an iPhone competitor, they need at least 8Gb built in. Otherwise, who the hell is the target market? :S

I'd expect it'll have an SD slot tbh, which fits the bill fine if you ask me.

But I do agree, that if they want to compete with the iphone then they need to REMOVE options, as they just confuse idiots. :P

And cool.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/09/blinding...or_of_t9-2.html

I know it's not a new idea, but I thought I'd bring this to the attention of a few more people around here because it's almost ready for WinMo release, which means it should be leaking onto XDA devs sometime soon.

Looks very very interesting, and I'll even give it a shot for a while, despite my hatred of OSKs.

Timing, given the link about the Touch HD from the other thread, couldn't really be better :)

I wonder why the Device Information photo in the article shows a 65k screen, a bit behind the times 260k has been around a while and 16 million is becoming the norm.

Not so gorgeous display.

Could this be an indication of a graphics driver issue?

I wonder why the Device Information photo in the article shows a 65k screen, a bit behind the times 260k has been around a while and 16 million is becoming the norm.

Not so gorgeous display.

Windows Mobile limitation. But to be honest? Barely an issue.

That remark would earn you fan boi status from some around here.

/begin rant about four year old phones...

...ah, forget it.

;P~~~

So it's the same size as the iPhone but running Windows mobile and HTC's overlay.

A 5mp camera with no flash (why bother with such a resolution with a shitty lens and the lack of flash - night shots are still going to be shit).

I would love to know what the battery life will be and the synchronisation method (I would expect activesync).

I have been asked to look at a mobile device that would be used by sales people in the field and at trade shows. Our current accounting package supports it on Windows mobile devices so with the improved screen real estate on this device it might be a contender. As part of the solution I would probably replace their current aging Blackberries with something like this.

Hoping it will also support UMTS850 to be able to use nextG

That remark would earn you fan boi status from some around here.

/begin rant about four year old phones...

...ah, forget it.

;P~~~

My KS20 has a 200k screen ;)

But as a general rule 65k is the tops on WinMo.