Sign in to follow this  
matteh

Another new phone thread...

Hi guys,

Looking at getting a new phone as my W995 is getting battered and doesn't really suit my needs.

I'd like a phone that I can jump on the net with occasionally to look things up and to browse the forums and facebook with.

Basically my list of features is Net/Maps. Media isn't that big of a deal as I have my Cowon S9, and I have a DS for games, my budget is around $400.

So far I've looked at the X10 mini pro, but I've heard mixed reviews, need to try one myself I think.

Any suggestions?

That phone is tempting, I might have to keep saving - I know if I get an android phone and I can't use an app due to the lower specs of the Wildfire I'll want a Desire 'just because'.

I have a few tabs of reviews open so I'll keep reading about it. I did know about the Wildfire, just hadn't crossed my mind.

Thanks for the reminder =]

Yeah, I do really like the Galaxy S, I'm thinking of paying out my contract on the w995 [$650ish] and getting the Galaxy S on contract, that way I can get a better cap with more data... Ah decisions...

::EDIT::

Yeah I've decided to do that, as I know if I cheap out I'll regret it... Also the Plan for the Galaxy S gives me more for less than I am currently paying.

Edited by matteh

I've got a HTC Legend, which I chose over the Desire because it was smaller and had better battery life (and cheaper I guess).

The only apps that run slow are some of the 3d games, which I don't play. otherwise, haven't found any apps that wouldn't work due to lesser hardware.

I'd advise against the Mini Pro due to the smaller screen, and incompatibility with apps due to it. Not sure what version of android it's running either. At least I know my Legend will be updated to Froyo eventually.

I'm currently strugling to decide between the Galaxy S, HTC Desire and HTC Legend...

I've heard bad things about Samsungs UI and, but good things about the multi-touch over the Desires. I do like the look of the Desire over the Galaxy, but the Galaxy still looks nice.

Any opinions from users of either or both phones?

Oh true... I keep forgetting I don't really have to rely on Samsung for software support with Android.

Galaxy S will also be on Virgins Cap, and be insured whereas the Desire would be purchased outright with no insurance..

So the Galaxy S's issues with UI and lag can be solved via rooting for sure, any other issues I may be overlooking?

I thought the Samsung Galaxy felt very *cheap* to hold. It definitely didn't feel like it would hold up over a 2yr contract, but then who keeps phones for that long anyway :P

I have the nexus one currently running cyanogens cm6 rc3 and loving it, tried the desire rom had some cool features but love cyanogens rom so much more. The galaxy s look like a decent phone, especially if you root and and run a custom rom. Cyanogens roms rule, very stable very polished.