Sign in to follow this  
g__day

Windows instal - slight fail means documents & settings invalid

Here's a weird one. My eldest son's PC has 2 IDE and one SATA drive. At least one IDE drive started failing (probably the over sized / 90cm (extra long) round IDE cable) starting loosing it. Of course this is the drive with boot manager!

So I decided to load XP on the SATA drive - multiple times. Every time somewhere in the install - of three separate genuine Windows XP Professional + service pack 2 CD ROMS (general ones not HP specific recovery ones or anything) - it failed copying files like excel.do_ or work.do_ or ami.do_ . Each time I had a small fail - ugly - never seen that before...

On power up - the windows login said it couldn't create the user profiles. So each user profile has the same chess piece ICON. When I sign on it warns teh profile couldn't be created. Under Start -> Program is null - its empty. Start My Computer and point to C:\ DOcuments and Settings - its a hidden read only system file. When I click on its properties Windows says its an invalid file location. I can't delete and re-create it the directory (even changing its attribute to make it non hidden and non system won't allow a delete under Windows).

I'm keen to know if anyone can think of a fix for this!

Many thanks

Matt

test the hard drives on a different PC. quick format them and see if you can transfer files and such. thats what i would do first anyway.

after that i would suggest installing XP without the SP2 - if thats possible qith the discs u have.

if you have copies of the original CD, then perhaps copy is corrupted.

i have the redistributable SP2 and SP3 on a usb flash drive, and after ive installed windows using the sata driver floppy i upgrade to SP2 then SP3 all offline without any problems.

run memtest dude.

everything its copying is going through ram. if its faulty, you'll get orrors.

on another side, thos files are 'backup' files. notice the underscore? that would be changed and replace the 'broken file' if they become corrupted. You can run Nlite and make a new disk that WONT try to copy those.

Resolved - in a wierd way.

Hacked copy of WIndows SP1 - installed fine, legit copy then placed over it with SP2 + legit licence - all fine. Then updated to sp3 - no idea why legit version couldn't be installed at first stage!