Sign in to follow this  
The Fuzz damn you!

3 TB drive available

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3858/the-wor...desk-3tb-review

Seagate has released its first >2GB HDD offering -- a 3GB drive. If you want one though, you'll need to pay for the enclosure too; so far, Seagate is only selling them as external drives. Of course, there's nothing to stop you from cracking open the case and pulling out its shiny, Tardis-like innards for use as an almost- standard 3.5" SATA drive. Have a look through the article to see what can and can't be done.

Exciting times!

And to think I just bought another two 2tb drives. :(

Edited by mudg3

Generally speaking these are going to be media drives, but bear in mind that unless you have a EFI capable motherboard (with the latest firmware generally) you don't be able to boot from it.

Generally speaking these are going to be media drives, but bear in mind that unless you have a EFI capable motherboard (with the latest firmware generally) you don't be able to boot from it.

You wouldn't want to anyway. They're crappy slow drives. Should be good for mass storage though.

Seagate has released its first >2GB HDD offering -- a 3GB drive.

Sheesh. Remember when Atomic would be all over a typo like this? "OMG! LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE! HAR HAR HAR!"

Rob.

Seagate has released its first >2GB HDD offering -- a 3GB drive.

Sheesh. Remember when Atomic would be all over a typo like this? "OMG! LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE! HAR HAR HAR!"

Rob.

i only just got to this thread, and was beaten by someone... who should be sabbathing! :P

You wouldn't want to anyway. They're crappy slow drives. Should be good for mass storage though.

Mmm. Kind of brings up the now almost accepted modus operandi of running a smallish SSD or two for boot, and the rest spinning platters (and not necessarily 7.2kRPM, either. given 5.4k RPM drives + a pile of cache really do perform nicely these days).

Intel's 3bpc SSD's are almost in the public eye. Things will change shortly...

z

what the hell do you use all that storage for? fuck im struggling to fill up 500gb worth of hdd's lol

what the hell do you use all that storage for? fuck im struggling to fill up 500gb worth of hdd's lol

Once I have some spare time, my file server will have:

1 x 250 GB

2 x 320 GB

4 x 1 TB

Granted there's a 1:1 redundancy in that, but still...

Rob.

My steam games alone come to 358gb and Im sure other peoples steam folders are much larger.

My steam games alone come to 358gb and Im sure other peoples steam folders are much larger.

Seriously? :O

Rob.

I'm struggling with my 4 * 1TB drives in my ZFS file server currently. Having to burn a whole bunch of stuff off to BD-R this evening to make more room...

z

I'm struggling with my 4 * 1TB drives in my ZFS file server currently. Having to burn a whole bunch of stuff off to BD-R this evening to make more room...

z

Same.

Just picked up another 2x 2tb drives and will probably grab some more once I get a decent raid card im all outa sata ports : /

lol im sad then, i have 106gb free on a 250gb hdd lol my other 250gb hdd is all empty ..sigh

becuase its internal them i may have to get it...would make a great backup drive...

But i already have a 1.5TB externtal and a 320 external....

I NEED MOAR STORAGE!!

Edited by jdog

wow! 3G would be cool.....my 2x 1TB drives are chocka - I remember when I got the 1st one, I thought that I'd never fill it....then I got the 2nd one.

there's 52G left on one, and 114G on the other - time for a cleanup methinks!

Keep in mind most HDD controllers will have trouble with the 2.19TB barrier.

So unless you've got a dedicated controller that can properly address > 2.19TB (or 2TiB), best sticking with 2TB drives.

Keep in mind most HDD controllers will have trouble with the 2.19TB barrier.

So unless you've got a dedicated controller that can properly address > 2.19TB (or 2TiB), best sticking with 2TB drives.

"Existing motherboards utilizing BIOS (non-UEFI), GPT ready operating systems like Windows 7 64-bit, and appropriate storage class drivers can use hard drives larger than 2.19TB as storage. A problem is a number of host bus adapter (HBA) and chipset vendors don't offer driver support for these types of drives.

To provide a solution for this compatibility issue, Western Digital bundles an HBA with the Caviar Green 3TB drive that allows the operating system to use a known driver to correctly support extra large capacity drives. Granted, this bundle is a short term solution until updated storage drivers and system software support become available industry wide."

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Western-Dig...d-Drive-Review/