Sign in to follow this  
The Fuzz damn you!

3 TB drive available

Ah, so it comes bundled with an adapter.

I'm guessing the $/TB value isn't going to be great.

A WD 2TB green is about 6 cents a GB (approx) - based on $AU125 purchase price

While a WD 3TB is about $US239, lets say $AU270 - so 9 cents a GB (again approx)

Not too bad in the scheme of things, brand new tech with an adapter.

NOTE: the $AU270 is just an estimate, and slightly higher than hopefully it will cost once its here.

i dont want a green drive cos they are shit for raid 5.

when is samsung going to release a 3tb drive ?

ive got 10tb worth of stuff, i need a server for backing up and 8 or 16 three tb drives would be great and should last me another year or two.

i might have to bite the bullet and grab 16 1.5's cos they will be a shitload cheaper.

Ah, so it comes bundled with an adapter.

I'm guessing the $/TB value isn't going to be great.

A WD 2TB green is about 6 cents a GB (approx) - based on $AU125 purchase price

While a WD 3TB is about $US239, lets say $AU270 - so 9 cents a GB (again approx)

Hmm.

Newegg seem to be selling just the plain drive, no adapter. Which brings the controller issue in again. Which I'm guessing it what your estimate is based on.

But then Tiger Direct has the bundle for $US250. Of course to be fair we should compare it to the prices in the same store to get a likely ratio. Their 2TB Green is $US110.

So 8.3c/GB vs 5.5c/GB. Hah! An identical 2:3 ratio to the $125 vs $270 numbers you used earlier! So your guess of $270 for the bundle looks about right :)

That makes it surprisingly good value for the largest internal drive on the market. I was expecting around $400ish for the bundle.

I wonder in this case if the 'work around PCI controller' is actually helping us (being the consumer). My expectation was the same as yours, new HDD's tend to be expensive, but it may be that as it's not simply a plug and play solution, that they haven't been able to charge the price premium. Essentially we're not competing for these HDD's with the Server boys etc (although they purchase server grade, they must be all made on a similar factory line). Also, SSD must also have had an impact too.

All in all good news for us consumers.

My question is wether the controllers still have issues if the drive is partitioned

If its like the good old win 98 days when they chucked a fit over drives larger than a set size thens its not such an issue

My question is wether the controllers still have issues if the drive is partitioned

If its like the good old win 98 days when they chucked a fit over drives larger than a set size thens its not such an issue

I would say yes, from the articles I've read, some had difficulty even with the controller. If no controller is used at all, then I believe the drive is simply not picked up at all - doesn't sound like its simply a matter of detecting less than the 3TB.