Dasa

The Sandy Bridge Preview

not impressed. there's some nice features, but then they go and fuck it with the overclock options etc etc

I'm happy with what I have. sure I'd like to update, but, there's nothing at all that's worthwhile spending money on. I'll wait for something a bit more worthwhile than an incremental update (at best)

5ghz on air... dam where is jdog, he should probably see that link.

I wonder though if the increase in performance over nehalem would be linear or exponential as you go up in speed since theres a 7-13% difference between each architecture, would be cool to plot it on a graph.

5ghz on air... dam where is jdog, he should probably see that link.

I wonder though if the increase in performance over nehalem would be linear or exponential as you go up in speed since theres a 7-13% difference between each architecture, would be cool to plot it on a graph.

right here nes,

so i saw the link tunsky posted and it looks good...only thing is depending on price this maybe worth it over i7 (1366) but becuase its new tech it will cost alot...i think waiting for some i7 gear pricecuts would be better....

I'm beginning to wonder if this whole upgrade your pc business is worth it.

Here I am with a pretty decent set up with the new Civ 5 and I can't even play it. I been through 2KGames forums, I'm not alone by a long shot on the issues this game has.

And if it was one game fine, but its other games too. Right out of the box, issues. If its not issues with the games coding, its hardware computability issues, steam issues and so on.

Yet for much less I could buy a console and be gaming straight out of the box. Buy the game, load it and play. Just how it should be.

With PCs, its upgrade this, upgrade that, so you can get the "best" from the game. Which is fine by me, IF it all works that way. For a while now, this hasn't been the case at all.

WTF is going on?

Now I see Intel are gearing us up for the "latest and greatest" in CPU power and efficiency. Soon the slogans will start up about how much better gaming will be with these new chips.

Review sites will test, and include in those tests gaming results, with graphs showing the improved performance for our gaming benefit.

So you'll read the reviews, see the results and upgrade to the best gaming experience you can afford, or money can buy.

OK now your set up. Got a killer rig ready to grab that newest game for your beast of a PC to light up, all bells and whistles at max settings.

But what? I need what update? I need to run MemTest to check if my RAM is faulty? have I tried Prime95 to see if my new CPU is running ok? I need the latest DirectX runtime executable? Oh I need to update my videocard drivers? Oh I need to reinstall Steam? Have I updated my BIOS? Should I wear a bra on my head before I press the games .exe?

So you do all that, and more, and the game STILL doesn't work? ....

Now your sitting there, with a brand spanking new $XXXXXX machine, playing Windows Solitaire waiting for an update, a miracle, something so you can actually get some use out of this killer gaming rig you've built. I guess you could always load an older title in the mean time.

Or maybe see the light and buy some simple PC for net and basic tasks, and grab a console and be done with all the bullshit.

/ends rant ;)

I'm beginning to wonder if this whole upgrade your pc business is worth it.

Here I am with a pretty decent set up with the new Civ 5 and I can't even play it. I been through 2KGames forums, I'm not alone by a long shot on the issues this game has.

And if it was one game fine, but its other games too. Right out of the box, issues. If its not issues with the games coding, its hardware computability issues, steam issues and so on.

Yet for much less I could buy a console and be gaming straight out of the box. Buy the game, load it and play. Just how it should be.

With PCs, its upgrade this, upgrade that, so you can get the "best" from the game. Which is fine by me, IF it all works that way. For a while now, this hasn't been the case at all.

WTF is going on?

Now I see Intel are gearing us up for the "latest and greatest" in CPU power and efficiency. Soon the slogans will start up about how much better gaming will be with these new chips.

Review sites will test, and include in those tests gaming results, with graphs showing the improved performance for our gaming benefit.

So you'll read the reviews, see the results and upgrade to the best gaming experience you can afford, or money can buy.

OK now your set up. Got a killer rig ready to grab that newest game for your beast of a PC to light up, all bells and whistles at max settings.

But what? I need what update? I need to run MemTest to check if my RAM is faulty? have I tried Prime95 to see if my new CPU is running ok? I need the latest DirectX runtime executable? Oh I need to update my videocard drivers? Oh I need to reinstall Steam? Have I updated my BIOS? Should I wear a bra on my head before I press the games .exe?

So you do all that, and more, and the game STILL doesn't work? ....

Now your sitting there, with a brand spanking new $XXXXXX machine, playing Windows Solitaire waiting for an update, a miracle, something so you can actually get some use out of this killer gaming rig you've built. I guess you could always load an older title in the mean time.

Or maybe see the light and buy some simple PC for net and basic tasks, and grab a console and be done with all the bullshit.

/ends rant ;)

booo

wall of truthful text

my system right now is only worth about $650 but it plays games (from what I can tell) better than all the I7 systems and crossfire/exotic graphics cards I have used, and I don't have any compatibility problems like I normally do.

well im addicted to 2560x1440 now console games run ~720p which is nasty by comparison

as far as $$ goes i think im well in front vs a console due to the number of games i buy and the premium you pay for them vs pc games

as far as problems goes iv had more problems with consoles overheating, rrod and dead optical drives than i have with pc

the only real annoying compatibility problems iv had with pc is when networking for a lan with mates if there is one pc that cant see the others.... it sucks when you waist half a day sorting this shit out

a few game bugs that normally get patched eventually which is now happening on consoles to

a more common one on consoles now is corrupt save games... now that shit really pisses me off

with crossfire the main problem i can remember that i couldnt simply get around was it didnt really work in stalker soc for a long time

oh and steam being a slut after the new ui update turned it it to a steaming pile of bug shit that would delete games and all sorts of other fun things...

and at the end of the day i would miss upgrading my hardware a lot as i just love it :) even if it dose only happen every year or two

Edited by Dasa

with crossfire the main problem i can remember that i couldnt simply get around was it didnt really work in stalker soc for a long time

You just brought back a lot of painful memories for me on that one :/ crossfire HD4890's never worked well on it, I always had random textures missing or really low fps and even had the game crash numerous times, I managed to get as far as the army warehouses before I turned off CF to play it without bugs lol.

You just brought back a lot of painful memories for me on that one :/ crossfire HD4890's never worked well on it, I always had random textures missing or really low fps and even had the game crash numerous times, I managed to get as far as the army warehouses before I turned off CF to play it without bugs lol.

I'd had crossfire in some form or other for years, thus never finished stalker =[

I'd had crossfire in some form or other for years, thus never finished stalker =[

Stalker SOC and COP are the epitome of open world FPS games, I can not recommend them enough :)

Its refreshing to have a game where you need to take everything into account such as food, weapon condition, ammo, time of day, radiation, medical supplies ect and your player in the zone is rather fragile until you get the exoskeleton that is... (why thats in there is beyond me).

anyway good news regarding Sandy Bridge launching on the 5th of January 2011 apparently

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20022893...l#ixzz15UtP29SR

Intel will launch its next-generation Sandy Bridge chip line on January 5 at the Consumer Electronics Show, the chipmaker confirmed today.

The launch will take place at Venetion Hotel in Las Vegas. Mooly Eden, Intel vice president and general manager for PC Client Group, along with "surprise guests, will showcase the world's fastest processor with many new technologies Intel has built into our chips to enhance the 'visual life,'" Intel said in a statement.

Sandy Bridge will--for the first time in mainstream laptops--put Intel graphics technology directly onto the central processing unit (CPU).

Edited by nesquick

aww i was hoping i would be able to get one next month oh well just have to wait a little longer thanks for the info

I bet you will, intel always do a hard launch with products in shops before their official launch, well it was like that with Bloomfield and Lynnfield IIRC.

Posted Image

Todays find. Also from SemiAccurate

I've already put aside the cash for a i7-2600K, ram, motherboard and SSD about 8000NOK (1300 AUD). It just needs to get released. Seeing as it will be 3350 SEK that will mean it will be about 3000NOK (Norwegian Kroner, where i live) so thats cheaper than i thought it would be!

To add to the exitement we are expecting a cold winter here! In January and Febuary we are looking at days/nights of about -20 or less. Lets see if i can crack that 5Ghz with my H50 in -20c. Maybe i need to buy a new cooler that has the right bracket

though....Now i'm exited

**Either way i still have to wait and see if the performance is worth the purchase so i will be waiting for a few reviews before i dump my cash on this upgrade!

Edited by smakme7757

SandyBridge Core i7 2600K Review

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n...htm&act=url

so it looks like there may be a option for fsb overclocking with a high end z68 chipset but i hate to think of the cost and then there is how much longer would i have to wait

its pi time is over 1sec quicker at the same speed as my i3 4.7ghz

in starcraft 2 its ~25% faster than a i7 875k at the same clock speed of 3.4ghz

SandyBridge Core i7 2600K Review

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n...htm&act=url

so it looks like there may be a option for fsb overclocking with a high end z68 chipset but i hate to think of the cost and then there is how much longer would i have to wait

its pi time is over 1sec quicker at the same speed as my i3 4.7ghz

in starcraft 2 its ~25% faster than a i7 875k at the same clock speed of 3.4ghz

Thanks for the link i'm goin to have a good read of it. It's looking promosing so it looks my patience will be well rewarded! Additionally Starcraft 2 is the only game i play these days so thats nice bonus :). Z68 seems like the chipset that will enable much more overclocking control, but unfortunatly the website speculates it will be released in the first 4 months of 2011. I'm most likely going to jump on a P67 mobo upon release unfortunatly; but if i wait for the z68 chipset then i might as well wait for the 2011 socket and then i might as well wait for bulldozer and then i might as well wait for..........

It crushes my Cinebench 11.5 scores at stock lol, i get 3.81 on the CPU test....

Edited by smakme7757

nice....but i wonder what the price premuim will be...

At semiaccurate.com they said that a swedish online store leaked the prices and the 2600K will be about 3300 SEK which is about $482AUD and the non k version will be 3141SEK so slightly cheaper. But who knows if thats correct.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/11/22/san...g-leaks-sweden/

At semiaccurate.com they said that a swedish online store leaked the prices and the 2600K will be about 3300 SEK which is about $482AUD and the non k version will be 3141SEK so slightly cheaper. But who knows if thats correct.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/11/22/san...g-leaks-sweden/

ouch...that alot...the 1366 i7's are cheaper...

~$500 is what i would expect and isnt to bad for the top model in the new mainstream line of cpu's

~$500 is what i would expect and isnt to bad for the top model in the new mainstream line of cpu's

Yea i agree, early adpoters always pay a price premium. Seeing as my last cpu and mobo upgrade was in 2008 i'm prepaired to drop the cash on the new paltform.