meowkitty

To RAID or not to RAID.

I am building a new PC

it's got a GB 780a UD3. and will have a Phenom X6 1055.

At this stage of the project the size and configuation of the Hard drives is high on the list so it's got us planning what to do.

I like the idea of increased speed but do not need more than 1TB of storage becasue I have about that worth of network storage and a future project is a NAS or similar network storage system.

In looking at RAID I like the look of RAID5. with 3x Seagate 500GB drives for $142 (MSY).

it gets the nod over Raid0 becasue of the Parity.

I've not had issues with HDDs but I like a bit of comfort in my data integrity as friends have had issues.

So, what advise do you have about my planned set up or regarding a better set up.

Regards

In looking at RAID I like the look of RAID5. with 3x Seagate 500GB drives for $142 (MSY).

Very sensible. A 3 disk RAID5 will be a nice mixture of combined read IO performance and not too high a write penalty. Add a fourth disk to the set to balance out some of the parity IO skew.

z

right then, looks like I asked the right section of the forum. :D

ultimately, the budget has 3x Sata2. the board has sata3 ports but 3x 640 WD Sata3 more than doubles the price of the drives. (320 vs 150)

that being said, an extra $50 may be squeezed in to the build.

Yep, RAID 5 ... because with 3 drives that's pretty much all you can do other than RAID 0.

or just get 1 SSD (or 2 in RAID0).

Depending on your tasks, sometimes seek times are more important than max peak write\read. :D

Very sensible. A 3 disk RAID5 will be a nice mixture of combined read IO performance and not too high a write penalty. Add a fourth disk to the set to balance out some of the parity IO skew.

z

Can windows home OS' have more than 3 disks in a RAID5? I know you can label one as a 'spare' but that just stays in standby untill you lose one

Edited by Master_Scythe

Windows doesn't *really* do raid. Fake raid. software raid.

I'm considering getting an Adaptec raid controller for my next build.

the MoBo has

• AMD SB850 provides 6 native SATA3 storage interfaces with superfast 6Gbps link speed and RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 support

I will be running Win7 64.

the 1st choices I have are, Raid with Sata2 or a Sata3 drive.

at the start of this project Sata3 was not readily available, thus I am here to sound out the benfits of RAID.

Idealy I want RAID5, I like the Parity and the peace of mind it brings.

it comes down to drive cost.

The RAID 5 needs to be 3x 500GB drives at $47 each ($141). the next step is 3x 1TB at $78 each ($244) which is too much.

Recently, the availablity of SATA3 has me looking at just 1 drive of 640GB at about $105.

if you guys can give positive feedback on Raid 0 it may help me overcome issues I have with Raid0. a friend had a problem with 1 of his discs which makes it a bit off putting.

IF, raid 0 becomes more apealing, 2x 650GB SATA3 in RAID0 may be the most fun I can have for $200. that would also require an extra pay cycle or 2 to get the extra funding above the 3x 500GB Sata2.

Do you also have any advice about setting up, layout, cooling that a beginner may find useful.

The case is a Thermaltake V9 with a nice 120mm fan directing air through the drive bay.

I've had a few problems with onboard intel 'raid' controllers, IC10 I think they are called. I don't like them. I don't like 'pretend raid' that windows gives you. It works, mostly, but the onboard 'raid' controllers can be a bit twitchy.

There's raid and there's raid. I am really liking the idea of getting a decent 4/8 port adaptect raid controller. a nice sata3/sas one should last me quite a while

RAID 0 is for people that DO NOT MIND IF THEY LOSE DATA. They sacrifice safety for performance. If you do not want to sacrifice safety, do not use raid 0, it's as simple as that.

If you want cake and enjoy eating it, raid 5.

Firstly, I love RAID, but I also understand why I am using it.

1. remember that it's about redundancy, not backup - malware, human error, theft, or a power surge can all lead to a total loss of data, so you still need a backup option.

2. What do you need speed for, and do you need it for that sort of space - most people in home situations do not need large amounts of redundant fast data, they want a hundred GB or so for apps and games to be quick, and a big whack of file storage for all those Linux ISOs.

If you get past both of those and still decide you need it, you then have another single point of failure/longevity - the controller, and you need to ensure that it will transfer between systems. Motherboard and/or software raid can hurt people who want to upgrade parts in their system, as the RAID may limit your choice of motherboard to only ones with a compatible controller on board - but of course you have backups of everything on it, so it's a simple matter of recovering back onto the new system :)

Thanks Stadl,

1. I don't backup as such, I have files in different locations. most of my stuff is on my C:/ but WOW and Lego Universe on an external drive. my system is a bit old Athlon XP, Socket A with 2GB ram. 80GB IDE HDD on board.

2. I want speed becasue I don't have it now. my external USB2 drive has the same speed as my on board, so i 'm over compensating with a raid. it's only about speed. Space is only a consequnce of the number of drives, I do not need large drives and big drives make this too expensive.

My Options, as I see them.

3x 500GB Seagate Baracuda Sata2 in RAID5 comes in at $145.

1x 60GB SSD comes in at about $185 + (some other HDD for storage) 500GB@$50

1x 320GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid is $155

1x 1TB SATA3 $115

or

1X 1TB Sata2 $100

Because you have backups in place, go SSD + Regular HDD. I recommend the Samsung Silencer series. Reliable, cool, and while technically 'slower' if its for data not installs, you'll never notice it.

otherwise the WD black's

Thanks Stadl,

1. I don't backup as such, I have files in different locations. most of my stuff is on my C:/ but WOW and Lego Universe on an external drive. my system is a bit old Athlon XP, Socket A with 2GB ram. 80GB IDE HDD on board.

2. I want speed becasue I don't have it now. my external USB2 drive has the same speed as my on board, so i 'm over compensating with a raid. it's only about speed. Space is only a consequnce of the number of drives, I do not need large drives and big drives make this too expensive.

1x 1TB SATA3 $115

or

1X 1TB Sata2 $100

If you get 2 80GB drives in raid 0 on your old system, it'll make a big difference!

The old sysem is dieing. Sata doesn't work, rear pannel USB is also not working. it can take a few attempts to get it to launch.

unless i can overcome my concerns for drive failure rates, raid 0 may not get a look in.

how have your experiences been with drive failure rates. I have a very small sample to draw from so it's running at a high rate because of that.

If you have concerns about hdd failure rates, then invest in an external backup system.. 1tb hdd's arnt that expensive, and with 2 you can have offsite storage too ;)

Next project is a NAS or somethign like that.

I see in another thread discusions about stability of drives and how seagate and samsung are doing better than WD at this time. that's what i'm getting at with regard to failure rates.

If the drives do last 3 years, i'll consider that an acceptable failure rate and 3 years is enough to plan finance and implement a network backup plan for the house.

with the failure rates from the other thread, my prefernce may look more like. I already have a preference for seagate at this time.

2x 500GB Sata2 in RAID0 $100

1x 1TB SATA3 $115

or

1X 1TB Sata2 $100

what's your feed back on drive failure in raid, does it happen often?

also, while the mobo can do raid 0, 1,5 & 10 only 1 person has recomended specificaly a raid controler card. can we expand on this?

Failure rate of hard drives is supposedly quite high in industry.

Keep in mind that the more moving parts something has, the more sucepible to wear it is, and hard drives are among the last bastions of moving parts in a computer.

EXACTLY so why i nobody listening to me ><

an SSD for your boot drive will mean rocket fast loading times of multiple small files (example: the OS and key programs) no seek times, fast read and write speeds, and no moving parts so less likely to fail.

a small SSD is cheap; a large samsung silencer i also cheap.

Combine the two and you have a DAMN fast boot drive and an above average storage drive (silencers are the best of the 'green'\'quiet' drive market in terms of speed; also runs DAMN cool).

Besides the slight increase in cost there is no downside to doing this.

You want speed? Raid 0

You want reliability? Raid 1/5

you want fast but reliable? SSD

you want reliable large and cheap; silencer series.

1 SSD, 1 silencer.

DO IT <3

I'm listening.

while the SSD is on the wish list it is out side the budget limit.

I needed a bib reading about the raid0 SSD on these forums...400+ data rate.....*drools*

Go RAID young man!

Don't be scared of RAID 0, I've been running RAID 0 for years with no problems and it churns out some serious transfer speeds.

Windows epic fails and a loose nut on the keyboard seems to be a bigger cause of data loss than hard drives failing in my personal experience.

In my current set up, I use a 64Gb Corsair X64 SSD for the OS, with everything else on 3 western digital 500Gb Blacks in RAID 0, for safety I use a external drive which runs a back up each night.

A few stats quickly grabbed from HD Tach: RAID 0 - Random Access time 13.5ms, Average read 146 MB/s, Burst Speed 381.4 MB/s, compared to the SSD's random access of 0.1ms , average read of 214.9Mb/s and burst of 191 MB/s, the windows experience index for data transfer when using RAID 0 for the OS was 6.9 , now 7.1 with the SSD.

Yeah, I run RAID 0.

I don't care about data loss because I copy all my critical folders to an external drive and burn all my docs to a DVD as well.

run raid 0 bt have a backup up, personally windows fails more than any of my hdd's ever have.

but seriously think about saving for an ssd as master scythe suggest and patriot inferno 60gb drive is a 179 bucks thats a very good deal (msy, pccg)

personally and on a side note, i want a few of those ssd's and would prefer them to my raid 0 setup (6x250gb drives) edit: the only hassle can be when you move the raid setup to a new computer liek im about to.

(might save just a bit more money and get a 120gb ocz revo drive (pci express, ssd) over two inferno's.

Edited by tunksy