Sign in to follow this  
Negotiator

Radeon HD 6800 Series performance benchmarks leaked

it seems that all of sudden alot of people are not liking their crossfire setups and alot of bugs have shown their ugly faces.

Hmm I remember saying many times over the past 2 slower cards in CF was never as good as a single powerful one, must be dejavu :P

Right... :p. I kinda agree, but not with "never". Sometimes it is excellent, but not enough times to be warranted as great all the time

At the time, and still now, it was the best option for me to go Crossfire

I had the option of 1 GTX 275 for $175, or 2 HD 4850's for $50 each, so for me it was a no brainer (plus I couldn't afford $175)

Also, 2 4850's in Crossfire used around the same power, sort of, as a GTX 275 (TDP 2x 110W v 219W), and had much greater potential

Though I'm not using Crossfire at the moment, it's handy having 2 cards. If 1 dies, I've got another, plus I can easily upgrade my spare PC, if I can be bothered :p

it seems that all of sudden alot of people are not liking their crossfire setups and alot of bugs have shown their ugly faces.

Yeah, of late it has left a lot to be desired

But, though I'm not using it now, I will continue to try it out every now and again, just too see if there is any improvements, right up until I upgrade

i see your using a dfi board there raradawg, they certainly take a lot on tinkering time to get the best possible overclock, they have heaps of fiddly options too ey! i have the p45 ut t3rs. stilla great board, very sexy too :P

Yeah, I might save up for a better cooler or something and open and look at it properly in the holidays. I should be fine with like 3.6GHz... then I can set my RAM to 1600MHz properly. :P

Yeah, the LanParty boards are very sexy. I got an additionaly Thermalright cooler for the NorthBridge, I've screwed that in, not that I think I will surpass 400FSB. :P

Crossfire scales good in some games, like COD. I jumped up my AF to the max and I got an additional 40 frames 59.

raradawg let me know what sort of cooling you want for the cpu, i basically have two of everything for my watercooling atm (besides rads) so if you're intrested in any secondhand stuff let me know. bloody love my board it looks great with the green nvidia cm690 but gosh if i ever want to go higher than 4ghz on this 6500k id have to do alot more fiddling in the bios. ive certainyl been tempted to crossfire instead of move over to an i5 rig in the last few months, 4890's are getting cheaper secondhand!

Right... :p. I kinda agree, but not with "never". Sometimes it is excellent, but not enough times to be warranted as great all the time

Costs aside compare 2 5770's with a 5870, the reason people got 2 5770's was purely cause it was impossible to get a 5850 or 5870 back in the early days, however when crossfire doesn't work you are left with a shitty 5770 or worse with some games performance is less where as if you had a 5870 you have the same power all the time without the bugs.

I know your going to say 5770 is not shit ect but to me it is, I run a U2711 screen with such a high resolution I need something that won't drop frames below ~60ish and even my 5850 is not up to that task sometimes so I can't imagine what a 5770 would be like :/

Costs aside compare 2 5770's with a 5870, the reason people got 2 5770's was purely cause it was impossible to get a 5850 or 5870 back in the early days, however when crossfire doesn't work you are left with a shitty 5770 or worse with some games performance is less where as if you had a 5870 you have the same power all the time without the bugs.

I agree with this, sometimes it'll work, other times it won't. Next...

I know your going to say 5770 is not shit ect but to me it is, I run a U2711 screen with such a high resolution I need something that won't drop frames below ~60ish and even my 5850 is not up to that task sometimes so I can't imagine what a 5770 would be like :/

What? When did I say they were or weren't shit? I, personally, find the 5770 to be the baseline of performance of what I call "acceptable". Where are you coming up with this?

Please don't quote me on something I didn't say, or guess :P

Edited by nobody813

Please don't quote me on something I didn't say, or guess :P

From our prior skirmishes I know you will disagree mostly with what I say and I was right.

I gave my reason why I think they are a bad choice though and thats where I will leave it.

My missus is running 2 5770s and some of her games run better than mine (Stalker series is a good example, the gtx480 cant even pull 60fps whereas the dual 5770s are hitting nearly 100fps constant)

My brothers dual 4870 crossfire setup is great, his performance in most games is perfect for 1080p resolution and the 4xxx cards don't have any of the bugs that the 5xxx cards do. The only thing that holds back 4xxx crossfire is the games themselves as some just don't use crossfire as well as they should.

Although you definitely need a good board, my mate is running a p35-ds3p with 2 4870s and his performance is often half of that of my brothers. (My bro has my old X48-DS4, which used to be nesquick's) while my girlfriends 5770s are about on par with my brothers stuff. Basically, 16x 16x crossfire is fine, as is 8x 8x but 16x 4x is terrible.

If I ever put this GTX480 on water I'll run it overclocked 24/7 I reckon, the extra 200mhz seems to give an awesome boost.

My missus is running 2 5770s and some of her games run better than mine (Stalker series is a good example, the gtx480 cant even pull 60fps whereas the dual 5770s are hitting nearly 100fps constant)

My brothers dual 4870 crossfire setup is great, his performance in most games is perfect for 1080p resolution and the 4xxx cards don't have any of the bugs that the 5xxx cards do. The only thing that holds back 4xxx crossfire is the games themselves as some just don't use crossfire as well as they should.

Although you definitely need a good board, my mate is running a p35-ds3p with 2 4870s and his performance is often half of that of my brothers. (My bro has my old X48-DS4, which used to be nesquick's) while my girlfriends 5770s are about on par with my brothers stuff. Basically, 16x 16x crossfire is fine, as is 8x 8x but 16x 4x is terrible.

If I ever put this GTX480 on water I'll run it overclocked 24/7 I reckon, the extra 200mhz seems to give an awesome boost.

the fact that your gf also plays stalker is simply wicked. thumbs up!

the fact that your gf also plays stalker is simply wicked. thumbs up!

She plays lots of things.

She's a good LAN buddy :)

60 FPS!

You picky bastard. 45-60FPS with max details should be more than enough for anyone.

I seem to be doing pretty good. 2 and a bit years now and still going strong with my hottie.

One would question your understanding.

I'll take your word for it.

damn, how am i gonna justify myself to my wife when i get one of those puppies. if those results are fair dinkum nvidia should be looking for the die shrinking machine for their next crop.

You dont need to justify yourself for a purchase like that.

How does she justify spending 3k on a hand bag?

Sam tactic bro :P

You do understand women don't you?
does any man? if he does I wish to shake his hand.

edit: in a non sexual way of course.

Well more than mudg3's understanding it would seem.

I seem to be doing pretty good. 2 and a bit years now and still going strong with my hottie.

One would question your understanding.

good on ya man! me too, similar to nukes gf, mine is also pretty handy at lans (and genaerlly just aweosme cos she likes pc games and consoles) glad she stayed back a year for year 13 at high school lol

edit: shes a redhead :p

Edited by tunksy

You picky bastard. 45-60FPS with max details should be more than enough for anyone.

I'm qith nesquick, solid 60fps is the only way to play a game.

If its not possible to get 60fps with current gen hardware, then so be it, but if there is hardware out there that will pull 60fps constant in games I like, I'll usually buy it. I love my framerates.

If its not possible to get 60fps with current gen hardware, then so be it, but if there is hardware out there that will pull 60fps constant in games I like, I'll usually buy it. I love my framerates.

+1 60 fps the sweet spot for me aswell.

Hehehe, but I can't really complain as they do the job, it's good enough for me. In the case of the 6800 series, I'll probably skip it unless there is a very good/compelling reason for me to upgrade.

My eyes can't really tell the difference until it gets to 35-40FPS that there is some lag.

I doubt you guys could either!

Trust me you can see it.

usually I spend ages tweaking a game before playing it to make sure its minimum frames don't go below 60FPS or that it runs at 60ish 95% of the time, there will be instances where it drops lower but its rare and I hate it when it gets choppy.

Edited by nesquick

Trust me you can see it.

usually I spend ages tweaking a game before playing it to make sure its minimum frames don't go below 60FPS or that it runs at 60ish 95% of the time, there will be instances where it drops lower but its rare and I hate it when it gets choppy.

I prefer the pretties over performance... until performance is hindered beyond tolerable levels... then the pretties must start being sacrificed.

Trust me you can see it.

I prefer the pretties over performance... until performance is hindered beyond tolerable levels... then the pretties must start being sacrificed.

I adjust resolution first, then look at changing graphics settings. I hate sacrificing res, I'll usually try and keep it for as long as possible...

However, my main concern (FPS's especially) is to try and get good frames, like nesquick (heh, I agreed with him, supposedly a rare occurence :P). But, as my hardware is not capable of running most modern games at 60FPS+, 30+ (minimum) is what I aim for. Anything less, and I'll drop detail usually

Source games are about the only ones that my system can keep above 60FPS, but I use VSYNC so it never goes above that :P

raradawg let me know what sort of cooling you want for the cpu, i basically have two of everything for my watercooling atm (besides rads) so if you're intrested in any secondhand stuff let me know. bloody love my board it looks great with the green nvidia cm690 but gosh if i ever want to go higher than 4ghz on this 6500k id have to do alot more fiddling in the bios. ive certainyl been tempted to crossfire instead of move over to an i5 rig in the last few months, 4890's are getting cheaper secondhand!

Lol, sounds good Tunksy, but I've never had the guts to Watercool before. Hopefully if I go down that path I don't need to be scared of spills as such.

Give the 5970 2 and a half years or so and you might see them for $200. :P

Lol, sounds good Tunksy, but I've never had the guts to Watercool before. Hopefully if I go down that path I don't need to be scared of spills as such.

Give the 5970 2 and a half years or so and you might see them for $200. :P

well if you ever get intrested, pm me ill probably still have them, then we'll take it trademart. its just useless sitting here now im on 1156. :)

yea they'll be cropping up second hand when the 6000 series is out, totally gonna look for one. my precious.

I find that forcing VSYNC through the driver control panel to runs much more smoothly than in game VSYNC.

Same, though I set mine to "On, unless application specifies", so I don't forget to turn it off when I'm benching on 3DMark or something...

My eyes can't really tell the difference until it gets to 35-40FPS that there is some lag.

I doubt you guys could either!

Depends on the game, and depends on if its dropping frames or sitting at a constant low fps.

But I can tell the difference between 60 and 30fps, usually by the way everything moves and the way the mouse moves. Plus due to having a 60hz screen, its fairly noticeable.

Too high and you get tearing, too low and you get what feels like stuttering, when its just dropping frames (even if it stays over 30fps)

Regardless, for the last 2 years I've had PCs that will run everything (bar Crysis) I throw at them on max settings @ 60fps.