Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
kungfutiger

Millennius Apanda A60 Android Phone

A new player is on the way. The Millennius Apanda is a cheap Android 2.1 phone, starting at $399 for the black 8GB, going up to $459 for the white 16GB.

It has a 3.2 inch HVGA 320 x 480 TFT capacitive touchscreen, 5 mp camera with flash, Qualcomm 600 MHz CPU, 256 MB Ram, GPS/AGPS, ambient light sensor, electronic compass, g force sensor, 3G compatable, 3.5 mm headphone jack, bluetooth 2.0, WLAN b/g, Google Maps, Android Market (ofcourse).

It's made in China by Foxconn. It is directly imported by Millennius, and will be only sold online, available from the 8th of September. Millennius seems to have a similar business strategy as Kogan.

On the website it says that it will have free updates to new versions of Android when they are released.

This phone looks promising from the specs and the price - the only doubts are the reliability and support from Millennius. I would expect to see full reviews soon, at the moment PCA has a first look mini review here.

The PCA Conclusion

We'll reserve our final judgement until we've had the opportunity to conduct in in-depth review, but our first impressions are that while the Apanda A60 isn't perfect, it offers a mixture of decent smartphone hardware, with generous included storage for music and photos.

It also has all the benefits a brand name Android phone has like the best built in Gmail experience, Chrome browser, GPS Google Maps and access to over 70,000 apps in the Android Market.

At $400 for the black 8 GB version, this could be a good phone for those that want an Android 2.1 phone, but don't need or can't justify the $800 for a flagship model. Hopefully reviews soon will tell us if it's a dud or not.

After a bit more digging, this phone is also known in different markets as the Wellcom A88, Motorola Quench XT3, Gigabyte GSmart G1305 Boston .

Please note that the Motorola and Gigabyte phones have lower specs than the Apanda - 3 mp camera vs 5 mp, Android 1.6 vs 2.1. Apart from that, they are the same phone.

Here's a sample of Android 2.1 on a Wellcom A88

Edited by kungfutiger

actually the gigabyte runs a 5mp camera as well, it just doesn't have Android 2.1

Although manufacturers in china do alot of copies of every product that comes out, like the ipad, epad etc.

I dont see the wellcom a88 the same as the apanda.

Firstly this is an australian brand, which is thumbs up for me, its also made in the same factory as ipad, iphones.

After doing alot of research for myself as well and reading the pcauthority review, I have just purchased the Millennius Apanda.

Im very excited as This fits the bill and Once I get it, Il do a review for you guys here.

actually the gigabyte runs a 5mp camera as well, it just doesn't have Android 2.1

Looking forward to your review - let us know if it does actually ship on about the 8th.

I think that this phone looks promising - especially because it runs a naked version of Android, you should be able to update the OS as soon as it is released, rather than wait for Sony/Samsung/HTC etc.. to do a version for your phone - that's if they ever get around to it.

P.S. I knew that the Gigabyte version has a 5 mp camera, after all, it does say so in the specs that I linked to :)

No worries - will let you know the latest.

I am actually happy for once, Ive been waiting for an android phone for a while but didnt want to go on a contract plan.

Looking forward to your review - let us know if it does actually ship on about the 8th.

I think that this phone looks promising - especially because it runs a naked version of Android, you should be able to update the OS as soon as it is released, rather than wait for Sony/Samsung/HTC etc.. to do a version for your phone - that's if they ever get around to it.

P.S. I knew that the Gigabyte version has a 5 mp camera, after all, it does say so in the specs that I linked to :)

I understand that they may look the same and having the same specs.

I also read alot and also have experienced alot myself.

I have come to mind that in china when something comes out from original manufacturer a copy is made from several other manufacturers within 6 hours.

Now a few examples. Ipad, The ipad has copies which they call epad etc.

Now they look exactly the same but they are not the same,

Also I have read somewhere and I agree with the person. They said for instance if you look at a LG and Sony lcd tv they would have the same specs such as contrast ratio, resolution etc. But the LG would have the better picture.

So which brings to my conclusion, that these no name brands like welcomm and people bringing it to ebay with no brand image what so ever, are all copies also.

I think that is what millennius had at the start with a copy phone here: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/04/millenni...one-next-month/

and probably realised they didnt want to bring out a crap phone to their customers which im happy for because now I hope I will be getting a quality phone as it has been stated that it is made in foxconn the same factory as apple and dell products are made in.

The power of google search is so good :) you can find anything.

Well yes, $250 in pocket with the same software and updates to new versions.

While samsung also being apart of contracts that i dont want to be apart of as pre-paid is the best way to handle phone bills these days in my opinion.

and it is an australian brand, why not support it and the more we support, the more products we will be able to get cheaper.

So now I can get the phone and android tablet from millennius for pretty much the same price as one phone from samsung. Now is it worth it?

Is it really worth it when you can get the top-end Galaxy S for $650?

While samsung also being apart of contracts that i dont want to be apart of as pre-paid is the best way to handle phone bills these days in my opinion.

and it is an australian brand, why not support it and the more we support, the more products we will be able to get cheaper.

So now I can get the phone and android tablet from millennius for pretty much the same price as one phone from samsung. Now is it worth it?

Sure it's cheaper, but you're losing quite a bit.

800x480 S-AMOLED vs 320x480 TFT

512MB RAM vs 256MB RAM

Accurate touch controller vs who-knows-what

1GHz Hummingbird SoC vs Qualcomm 600MHz SoC

1500mAh vs 1230mAh battery

Blutooth 3.0 vs Blutooth 2.1

Note that Android 3.0 recommends a 1GHz processor, so there's a decent chance they won't update it when it comes out later this year.

If you can afford it, the Galaxy S is a no-brainer. $450 isn't cheap considering what you're getting.

Also, the $650 price tag I mentioned was outright and unlocked.

Is it really worth it when you can get the top-end Galaxy S for $650?

I'm not pushing nor promoting the Apanda, only discussing it. I think that $400 is a little high, but it is interesting. Foxconn seems to have developed this phone as a worldwide cheap, entry level smart phone.

For me, a 3.2 inch screen is a little small, the resolution is a bit low, the cpu is a tad slow, there could be more RAM. But most of the specs look pretty good for the price.

However, for me, I want a Galaxy S. I can not justify the $49 per month that Optus charges, because I use my phone so infrequently that a $30 recharge lasts me 4 months!

Cyb3rglitch, please link me to a $650 Galaxy S.

Thanks mate! I can see a Galaxy in my very near future.

In keeping with the thread, here's a video of a Wellcom A88 playing BackBreaker and Racing Thunder 2

Recommends a 1GHz, but it is not a official that you cant use it.

Anyway, specs are specs end of the day, alot of the androids from samsung , lg etc have customized UI and the millennius one doesnt, its supposed to be really fast responsive.

Anyway enough debating because I always say you can argue about something if you have never experienced it and just reading and going by what other people say,

When I get it, Il do a review.

Regards

Trent

Sure it's cheaper, but you're losing quite a bit.

800x480 S-AMOLED vs 320x480 TFT

512MB RAM vs 256MB RAM

Accurate touch controller vs who-knows-what

1GHz Hummingbird SoC vs Qualcomm 600MHz SoC

1500mAh vs 1230mAh battery

Blutooth 3.0 vs Blutooth 2.1

Note that Android 3.0 recommends a 1GHz processor, so there's a decent chance they won't update it when it comes out later this year.

If you can afford it, the Galaxy S is a no-brainer. $450 isn't cheap considering what you're getting.

Also, the $650 price tag I mentioned was outright and unlocked.

I got my Millennius Phone this morning...

It is so sexy.. I cant tell you anything yet as It is on its first charge. :)

Recommends a 1GHz, but it is not a official that you cant use it.

Considering that Froyo struggles badly on the HTC Dream's 528Mhz processor, I wouldn't bother with Gingerbread on a 600MHz.

WOW!

The apanda phone is really good peoples. I love it, I already downloaded some games onto it, Ive been a little down today and in bed. What timing right ahahah.

Ive been on facebook, ive been searching the web, playing the games ive downloaded. I love it so far

IDEOS - 2.8” QVGA (320x240) poorer screen and res

- 3.2-megapixel camera - lower MP

- no Memory card included

Htc wildfire

- locked with telstra $349 so they destroy you or

$469 outright unlocked

- Poor QVGA (320x240) display

- - no Memory card included

Millennius Apanda

- 5MP camera

- 8GB memory card included

- 3.2inch HVGA 320x480 better

- Unlocked

- Australian brand :)

I think over all the Millennius is a better phone, specs/price and good brand I think.

I will do a youtube video soon.

HTC Dream's 528Mhz processor

and whats the rest of those?

Millennius is way better,

Yes they have customised UI so slows down the phone and so Millennius wont struggle at all

Yes they have customised UI so slows down the phone and so Millennius wont struggle at all

Guessing you mean specs-wise?

528MHz CPU, 192MB of RAM, 320x480 multitouch screen, slide out 4-row keyboard.

No, it's really not. It has a 12% faster CPU, and 25% more RAM. Marginally better, certainly, but not way better.

What are you basing that on?

I'm absolutely not saying that Apanda is a BAD phone. Far from it. It probably runs Donut perfectly, my 18 month old Dream certainly does.

Froyo and Gingerbread will need the faster hardware to run at their fullest though.

Glad that you love your new phone Trent!

Get 3D Watchdog (or something similar) from the Market so that you can keep an eye on how much of your internet quota that you have.

Good luck and have fun :)

Ok No worries.

I will do a video with that in it.

Glad that you love your new phone Trent!

Get 3D Watchdog (or something similar) from the Market so that you can keep an eye on how much of your internet quota that you have.

Good luck and have fun :)