Rofloorsander

Duke Nukem Forever (PC/PS3/360, 2011) announced by Gearbox/T2, playable at PAX

Noooooo I'm complaining that they're ONLY reusing guns from 3D and done in such a way that only 1 or 2 guns are of any real use.

This is a sequel FFS, I'd expect something more, not the same shit with better graphics.

Edited by Oracle X

I agree with you on that Oracle, the weapons imo would be fine if you could carry them all, but being stuck with 2 severely limits your options. The Freeze Ray is okay as it recharges, but the shrink ray is next to useless with what little ammunition you get. You're better off carrying weapons that do damage, which as you pointed out are the Ripper and the Shotgun.

I find myself hanging around a new weapon on the ground trying to decide if it's a good idea to swap. I'll move on a bit then turn around and maybe pick it up. It's hard to tell what's coming up.

Tis pretty irritating.

Well I finished it. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Only problem is, on viewing the trailers for the previous incarnations, I can't help but wonder "If only..."

But, one can only hope for a sequel, with a bit of fine-tuning.

Hell no. Let it die imo.

After the fiasco that's the DNF vaporware saga, the series has lost whatever appeal it once had. Plus, Duke's annoying frat boy antics is grating and lacking in humor.

After playing through this the last couple of days all I have to say is that I want to kick George Broussard in the balls.

Hell no. Let it die imo.

After the fiasco that's the DNF vaporware saga, the series has lost whatever appeal it once had. Plus, Duke's annoying frat boy antics is grating and lacking in humor.

The reason it didn't get praised as it should have been is because Gearbox was working with pre-existing material, they didn't wipe the slate clean and start again. If they started from scratch with a new project, it could be even better, there just needs to be a want for it again.

And Duke's humour was perfect for this day and age; in a world full of political correctness gone wrong, it was great to hear humour that broke the boundaries and flash back to the 90s again.

After playing through this the last couple of days all I have to say is that I want to kick George Broussard in the balls.

You and me both.

Giving the rediculous wait for this game, they were already fighting a near vertical uphill battle in terms of defeating disappointment.

How would everyone have felt if they just said "look we see what the predecessors have done, we dont agree with it, we dont think its going to be the game you want giving what we have to build with already - so we are scrapping the lot and starting completely from scratch"

I can understand that, I really can. It's the multitude of bad reviews and people who hate what the sequel is that say otherwise.

oh please, as if titty jokes and penis gags = radical anti-PC controversy.

If that's breaking the barrier then we should all be worshiping foul mouthed teenage punks as visionaries. But they're not, they're just immature and stupid... like Duke. He might have been funny 20 years ago when seeing strippers in a video game is OMFG!!, now he's just a tryhard.

duke has arrived and is finally installing after a another steam hiccup

it would say the game is not available then continue downloading the game rather than installing from disk

i found this https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article...=5357-FSQM-0382

and with its help i just had to retry 4 times deleting the game closing steam try again before it finally worked... just 400m left to dl now and i will finally get to play this abomination

like with mass effect 2 vs me1 while it wont be much of a challenge i think i will be playing duke on easy so the regen\cover dont piss me off :(

hmm under 6 hours of gameplay is kinda short

it has some old school fun and had the potential to be a half decent game but they butchered it

enemys come in waves

health regen

2 weapon limit

boring boss fights

did i mention short?

Regardless of the bad reviews, I'll be buying a copy when I get around to it - just some other things to do at the moment.

hmm under 6 hours of gameplay is kinda short

it has some old school fun and had the potential to be a half decent game but they butchered it

enemys come in waves

health regen

2 weapon limit

boring boss fights

did i mention short?

qft

and no dedicated servers yet...

ive actually been playing duke 3d since i bought it. allready clocked it on hard. But yeah its not like a duke 3d fps style map. its like a 3d scrolling platformer (not that there are that many platform obstacles, more that its just GO FORWARDS or maybe go back a bit but YEAH GO FORWARDS

Regardless of the bad reviews, I'll be buying a copy when I get around to it - just some other things to do at the moment.

I wouldn't recommend buying it.

If you pirate it you get an achievement

Posted Image

for the record I paid for the 'balls of steel edition' which has some cool extras for a Duke fan like me but the game itself, on the whole, is not really very good. It plays like a COD game with a b-grade scifi theme - gameplay is fairly boring and linear and the jokes just fall flat - seriously a Leroy Jenkins joke in 2011? and the alien hive level with the defiled women is just purely in bad taste and not funny or interesting at all.

Its like they completely forgot what made the original game cool and the character endearing to players, and just made him into a total misogynist, a mere shadow of his former self, and made the game a COD clone to cash in on the fad.

To be fair, some of the shruken levels are interesting but I hate the jumping puzzles - its like Xen from HL1 all over again. I do like how you sometimes have to look around a bit to find the way forward, instead of being totally funnelled down the path like COD, but there's no secrets and no real reward for exploring.

Edited by DonutKing

I wouldn't recommend buying it.

If you pirate it you get an achievement

Given the reviews, if its not in the bargin bin shortly, I'll just import it.

I started playing Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter last night and there was a DNF gag right at the start on the south american levels. I lold. SSHD is still the fucking business btw. I think it's only $10 on steam if you really want some old school fps action.

Care to explain what the gag was?

@ the very start of the first level you turn around and cross a small lake then go behind some rocks and you find a phone booth. You make a call and an effeminate voice answers to which Sam says "is that you blondie?". The voice says "no, he's not here yet", Sam says "when will he be here?", the voice replies "when he's done" and then SS says "unnnngh, I've been waiting for him forever. Timing of the find made me lol. Also, if you swim to the bottom of the lake there is a sweet rocket launcher. Also, Serious Sam HD > DNF. Edited by disolusiond

and no dedicated servers yet...

Check out steamapps\common\duke nukem forever\system\DedicatedServer.txt

It's there and it works, but it ties up your steam account while it's running. Suckful.