Sign in to follow this  
Girvo

I just got a 360 :)

Yay!

Now: Attempting to connect my Xbox to my network, yeah?

Here is how the network goes:

Internet > D-Link DIR-615 Router [via wifi] > My PC > Xbox [via ethernet]

Now, all the support docs have said that I need to enable ICS. In doing so, down goes my net connection on my PC, and the test now runs on the Xbox [passes IP] and fails at DNS.

I don't understand what to do!

I *think* the issue arises with the internet connection sharing setting my PC's IP to 192.168.0.1, when it's actual IP is 192.168.0.198, set by the router.

Halp!

:(

Congrats on the purchase. Get Saints Row 2. It's awesome.

As for your networking issue... sorry but that stuff's all voodoo :S

You could always just manually enter your dns servers into your xbox?

It's good? Will get.

What games should I get? Got the Tom Clancy Triple Pack [thought I'd show my appreciation, got it sitting next to Rainbow Six for my PSOne :P], loving it at the moment.

OK

For 360 these are a few of my must haves (If you don't own a decent spec pc)

Gears of War

Halo 3

GTA IV

Burnout Paradise

Mass Effect

Braid (XBLA)

Yay!

Now: Attempting to connect my Xbox to my network, yeah?

Here is how the network goes:

Internet > D-Link DIR-615 Router [via wifi] > My PC > Xbox [via ethernet]

Now, all the support docs have said that I need to enable ICS. In doing so, down goes my net connection on my PC, and the test now runs on the Xbox [passes IP] and fails at DNS.

I don't understand what to do!

I *think* the issue arises with the internet connection sharing setting my PC's IP to 192.168.0.1, when it's actual IP is 192.168.0.198, set by the router.

Halp!

:(

So your computer has internet sharing on? turn that off for starters if so.

Are these IP's being set by the router? and is the router handling DHCP and DNS for your network? you could look at troubleshooting that.

another easy way could be to set your computers and Xbox's IP to static.

eg computer = 192.168.0.198

xbox = 192.168.0.197

give them both the same gateway (your router)

Dns - You could give them your ISP's dns server. But your router would be better if it's handling dns.

im also guessing your router is 192.168.0.1 which could be causing a conflict when your puta decides to nab that address?

i found this guide was a god send http://live.tommccann.net/

I've tried using ICS and setting up a network bridge (i've got a computer set up each using a differnt setting and they both work)

there are a few ways of doing it aslong as the xbox has access to the right ports it should work fine. (i've seen people set the xbox in a DMZ using the mac address, open the ports across the whole network or assign them to the 360's ip address (as per the link above) they all seem to work, i guess it depends on how paranoid you are with network security.

I setup a my wireless network with a name and WEP password, when you goto system blade and network settings it should then detect you're network. Enter name of network, password and perhaps IP. Don't forget to turn on media sharing through WMP11, so you can play you're music why playing games and watch movies stored on the PC.

If you still get stuck ring 360 support there actually quite helpful.

I'm assuming the reason that you haven't connected the XBOX directly to the router is because it's in another room?

Are we talking Windblows XP or Vista?

You should actually have two IP's now (On the PC that is), one for the Wireless interface and one for the wired. I'm pretty sure that'll cause all kinds of issues for NAT if they'e on the same subnet (as noted above).

To check this Run -> cmd -> ipconfig

and ipconfig will list all interfaces and their current settings.

If both the wireless and the wired connections are on the same subnet then change one. I don't recall if you can do this with ICS but it'd be a snap on the router. Log into the router and navigate to DHCP settings and change the 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1

Once you apply these settings all connected computers will need to reobtain their IP address Run -> cmd -> ipconfig /renew or just simply reboot.

Well done on getting a 360!

If you're into FPS - You need to have Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4

GTA:IV is alright - I played it for a good while, but went back to Halo 3 / COD:4. But really consider what genre you want.

However, you can always buy any game from EB Games for 7 days, and return it if you aren't fond.

Congrats.

I would highly suggest you try out PGR4 and Tomb Raider Legend. These two are in my stock pile and they are the only best two, while Halo 3 is only fun when online and Gears Of War is boring imo.

Plug the Xbox directly into your router, problem solved. Or, you could get the wireless adapter if cabling is a problem.

Congrats

Grab Crackdown and Forza 2 too :D

They should be pretty cheap now

Can't help with the network issue, sorry. Maybe ask in the networking section?

Plug the Xbox directly into your router, problem solved. Or, you could get the wireless adapter if cabling is a problem.

lol i love niave advice, if he's in the position i am then getting a cat 6 cable to my room would involve a time expencive wiring job not to mention buying 30m of cable and wall plates.

If you'd like to donate $150 for the wireless adapter i'm sure plenty of people would take you up on that offer.

but with regards to the OP i found a network bridge was easier than the ICS to set up.

It's a pain in the arse doing ICS. Windows needs to be on 192.168.0.1 to do it to for some wierd reason. I generally change the IP address of the router to 192.168.0.100 and leasing out 192.168.101-120 (for home networks) so that everything is on the same subnet.

Generally works for me.

Congrats.

I would highly suggest you try out PGR4 and Tomb Raider Legend. These two are in my stock pile and they are the only best two, while Halo 3 is only fun when online and Gears Of War is boring imo.

Gears of War is a good game imo.

Furthermore, PGR4 is a good 'arcadey' racer, while Forza 2 is more sim style.

Tomb Raider Legend though... avoid.

lol i love niave advice, if he's in the position i am then getting a cat 6 cable to my room would involve a time expencive wiring job not to mention buying 30m of cable and wall plates.

If you'd like to donate $150 for the wireless adapter i'm sure plenty of people would take you up on that offer.

but with regards to the OP i found a network bridge was easier than the ICS to set up.

Naive advice? I don't think so. He's clearly not a network guru so I offered the simplest and easiest solution to getting his Xbox online.

I don't remember reading in the OP that he needs to get his house professionally wired. If your desperate, do what I do and throw a network cable down the hall only when you want to play online, you can pick up a 20m cable for about $20.

If you can afford an Xbox and a few games, you can afford a wireless adapter if no other solution is available to you, so get off my back.

I'm certainly not a network "guru", but I'm also not completely useless either.

*shakes head

Point 1: The router is upstairs on one side of the house. I'm downstairs on the other.

Point 2: The Xbox was a present I certainly couldn't afford. I can't afford a WiFi adaptor either just yet, and don't see the point in wasting $150 on something when I have a perfectly good PC here.