Sign in to follow this  
ChayotHaKadesh

Memory seems to be a problem for new comp

Some time ago my computer started playing up. When I booted up it would give me BIOS beeps (3 longs, pause, 8 longs) then shut off, then turn back on and do it again - note that this would continue to happen until I got sick of it or lost count. Sometimes it would just give me 3 long beeps, and other times no beeps at all. Anyway, after consistently beeping, my brother consulted the BIOS beep code guide and deduced it was either a memory or a MoBo problem. I'm not touching the MoBo so I thought I'd start by just taking out one of my 2gb memory sticks, and once I did that it booted up fine. I put it back in and retried and it is apparent that it is indeed a memory problem. It runs fine on one 2gb module, but the other card seems to be causing the problem.

Unless of course I'm wrong about this. I dunno, I've not had much experience with this particular area.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation? Help much appreciated :)

It certainly seems like this is what's causing the problem. It surprises me that you didn't do further diagnostics, as they seem like obvious things to try to me.

If it works with just the one stick of RAM, take it out and try it with just the other stick of RAM, and see if the problem is with using 2 sticks, or if it's one particular stick causing issues.

If it's the latter, then it's time to buy a new stick/RMA the dead one.

If both sticks work fine on their own, then try different RAM slot combinations.

It also wouldn't hurt to restore the BIOS to the default settings while you do your testing.

Let us know your results.

download a CD called Memtest86+ burn that ISO image to a CD and boot off it.

it'll test your ram for you.

even 1 error means faulty ram. replace it.

download a CD called Memtest86+ burn that ISO image to a CD and boot off it.

it'll test your ram for you.

even 1 error means faulty ram. replace it.

Not necessarily, sometimes it's a faulty DIMM slot.

I prefer to use the Ultimate Boot CD and run a Windows Memory Diagnostic.

yeah well if taking one stick out fixes the problem, you clearly have you culprit.

either that or, yeah, the slot could be fubared.

however its more likely DUSTY than broken (the slot this is)