Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
michael.jenkin

Playing with InfraRed ...

funny that.

I'm actually looking for a spare cam right now to do some IR. Gonna rip the IR filter elements out and fire away.

Great pics MJ

I guess you remove the IR filter?

How easy is it to stuff the process up?

This is starting to give me ideas :D

I might buy an old 300 or 350d for this..

Edited by eat_the_flag

I saw the filters on ebay for $120. I saw the fitting service for $199US inc filter.

I saw a EOS 350D for $300 with the IR conversion already done so I grabed it.

Mine is a 720 nm. The filter in front of the CCD sensor has been replaced.

Now it is a just a matter of getting the white balance correct and the tweaks in Photoshop just right.

Edited by michael.jenkin

Darn you Michael!!!

I would of snapped that up quick smart. - Great buy mate!

I mainly need it for Hydrogen Alpha at ~656 but will second as an IR daytime camera.

Looking for a D70 atm as they are real easy to modify. But will probably end up with a 300/350D

Eat the flag - go over to this website for very very detailed instructions on how to remove to stock IR/UV cutoff filter. Lifepix Just remember, You need to replace it with an adequate piece of glass at the same thickness otherwise you can stuff up your auto focus. But if you are going to strictly do IR - Search on fleabay for a filter as MJ mentioned above

Rob

Darn you Michael!!!

I would of snapped that up quick smart. - Great buy mate!

I mainly need it for Hydrogen Alpha at ~656 but will second as an IR daytime camera.

Looking for a D70 atm as they are real easy to modify. But will probably end up with a 300/350D

Eat the flag - go over to this website for very very detailed instructions on how to remove to stock IR/UV cutoff filter. Lifepix Just remember, You need to replace it with an adequate piece of glass at the same thickness otherwise you can stuff up your auto focus. But if you are going to strictly do IR - Search on fleabay for a filter as MJ mentioned above

Rob

Yeah eBay has a wide range of Canon p&s cameras and loads of 350d, 450d, 10d, 20d and 5d's. Most are 720nm but some are at other frequencies. As my camera is IR only, I was only prepared to pay a small amount. I could not see myself with a dedicated 20d or 5d.

I would be a little worried to do this modification myself so luckily others have done it for me :)

Posted Image

Edited by michael.jenkin

Stop with the images :)

Convincing me even more to spend more money. (by the way, very nice pics. I love the contrast of the IR). BTW, what are you searching via ebay, I cant seem to find any modified cams?

I just spent 2000+ on my new astrophotography setup already

Rob

Stop with the images :)

Convincing me even more to spend more money. (by the way, very nice pics. I love the contrast of the IR). BTW, what are you searching via ebay, I cant seem to find any modified cams?

I just spent 2000+ on my new astrophotography setup already

Rob

Dang, I just deleted the eBay favorite search. Not sure what I searched for. I think it was "canon infrared camera".

My next project is astrophotography. What are you using?

I was looking at getting "A Beginner's Guide to DSLR Astrophotography"

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guide-DSLR...y/dp/0972973761

Have you seen this?

I have a SCA 1.25" T-Adaptor for a Telescope and my EOS bodies but it does not fit my specific telescope. I was going to start with my Ef 70-200 USM IS and the Reflex 800 with a doubler.

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/EQ_TESTS/C70_200.HTM

I would love to see some images and ideas of what you have tried.

BTW: I have learnt how much camera's can cost. It is a hobby that keeps on giving and keeps on costing.

Edited by michael.jenkin

I'll just keep on searching - I've gone to gumtree to seek a cheap canon to modify myself

As for astro - It is very involving and can be a money pit, depending on what you want out of it. My suggestion is to look up on the theory of it (as you have already done) and determine your goals.

Right as I type - I am completing first light test of my new setup (about 2 hours worth of exposures). So watch out for a new thread with details/first picture/equipment and how I processed it.

One thing to understand about astrophotography, it is all about the signal to noise ratio and an understanding of the science of the visible light spectrum. Each deep space object has different bandwiths, with most being Hydrogen Alpha which will require a ccd/cmos which can read above this spectrum. Unfortunately my test I am doing (which is more a log on mount periodic error and optics test) is with an unmodified d5000 with a transmission of approx 30% in this area.

Feel free to PM me any questions I can answer for you. If you were/are ever in sydney, I can give you a good rundown.

Rob

It's been several years since I messed around with IR.

Posted Image

That was taken with a D70, with Hoya R72 filter on the front, then just mucked around with the curves and colour options - I don't remember the details of what I did.

It originally came out of the camera like this:

Posted Image

I liked to preserve the reddish nature of the shots rather than convert to B&W even if it's artificial, it's an aspect that my mind jumps to when thinking IR. Just as I'd usually expect UV to have a blueish/purple tint to it - even though the wavelengths can be so far beyond visible light, that there's no assumption that they should be near the visible colour at that end.

The R72 filter and a tripod for long exposures is a cheap and cheerful ($70-$170 depending on filter size) way to play with IR - assuming the camera you have is ok at IR sensitivity (some newer models have better IR blocking filters on the sensor)

Man, I remember back in the days of my old Canon F2 film cam and doing B/W IR photography with a makeshift IR filter.

So, I have just picked up a 400d today from a domain clearance outlet - MODIFY TIME

Rob

510 for a Brand new twin lens kit, free 8gb CF card and a free 16 in 1 universal charger :)

Sales person vs sales person. hehe.

I knew it had been cold and wet here of late, not quite that cold though :) It looks like snow.

I knew it had been cold and wet here of late, not quite that cold though :) It looks like snow.

Yes, it does look like snow.

.. And I love it. I have gone IR + False colour mad :)

Well, I just got quoted from canon to change the standard IR filter with one of my own

AUD 314 + GST.

More than half of what I paid for this camera.

Well, I just got quoted from canon to change the standard IR filter with one of my own

AUD 314 + GST.

More than half of what I paid for this camera.

That's almost what I paid for my already converted unit.

Have a look at some of the offers on ebay. Much cheaper.

Still couldn't find any on ebay though :( - I think I am ebay deficient..

Nevertheless, I found a guy in hong kong who will change filters for AUD ~50 + return postage :) - Background check comes up positive

Edited by motiv

Still couldn't find any on ebay though :( - I think I am ebay deficient..

Nevertheless, I found a guy in hong kong who will change filters for AUD ~50 + return postage :) - Background check comes up positive

Make sure he is using glass and not plastic or gelatine. I have heard of some weird cheapo stuff out there.