Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
LogicprObe

RevoDrive

I would imagine since the revodrive has a silicon image controller on it taking care of the raid 0 instructions vs a Raid0 of vertex2's in software, that if you had a powerful cpu to do the striping then the vertex's would be faster. but in most cases i think they would technically speaking be similar. of course the actual hardware and firmware could have significant effect on this.

At least they tried.

Could be a bargain when they go on sale though.

Certainly the concept is very good, a consumer level bootable SSD RAID0 utilising the PCI to overcome SATAII limitations. One could assume that with the four Sanforce controllers they'll move to a 4 x stripped array, and hopefully utilise updated controllers that are built for SATAIII data tranfer rates. Now that would be impressive.

Bring on GenII

EDIT: Also a bit disappointing to read that the RAID on offer is software, rather than hardware.

Edited by psyched

Installed a Revo drive yesterday, very straight fwd super fast nice flashy leds umm oh yeah no cables

Installed a Revo drive yesterday, very straight fwd super fast nice flashy leds umm oh yeah no cables

Looking forward to hearing some actual user feedback. The installation must look very clean with no cables etc.

be good if 1. they develoved trim support or 2. you could un raid it i know the point is its ment to be fast, but itd be handy not having to use a sata port and still have a bootable ssd for the os essential software and games.

if it hardware raid then it would be another 200 bucks or so more expensive id guess. does the z drive use hardware raid and thats why its mega pricey?

Flashy LEDs!!??

I'm sold!

Yeah flashy blue ones :) just wish they were on topside of PCB and mebbe a thin backplate would be a better look,

having said that the fukers FAST i mean loading into games MOH or BBC2 is like WTF im here hehe.

Very easy install i just discoed the Raptor popped in the Revo, Bios picked it up straight away changed the Boot prioity and all was good.

Only drama was Vista ultimate took a while to see the driver, like 15mins of rooting round and chk dhsk wanting to run at start up (typical fucking windows) a reg hack fixed that little monkey all was good.

Pros

Flashy Blue LEDs

No Cables

FAST

Cool

Quite

Cons

Could do with a Backplate (just to look Flashy)

Still a Bit pricey kinda :P

Maybe Driver on OCZ Revo USB stick in box (why not)

I want one! Will try getting one 120GB derive early next week. My freaking netbook has much faster disk access now with the Patriot than my i7 OC-ed desktop and that is not normal, is it? :D

I got one of those 120GB RevoDrives today when I picked up my Asus rampage extreme III

Absolutely loving it. I'm using it for windows and using my 120GB Vertex for games.

Blue LEDs!!!!!! :P

It was a bit of a bugger to install though.

You have to grab drivers from OCZ and install them on a disk/USB then its as simple as loading those drivers at the start of the Windows install ...NOT!

That's what the instructions tell you, but what I found (with Windows 7) that I'd get a pop up telling me that the OS could not be installed on the drive with an error code 0x00003234 <---- I made that code up, its not the actual code, as I can't remember it :P

What I found (after much cursing OCZ for blatant lies in their instructions LOL) was on the top left hand corner of the install screen is a little blue arrow. Basically a backstep arrow taking you one step back in the install process.

For whatever reason, click it, move one step back in the process, then hit next on that screen, the drive is there AND Windows wont throw up an error code, so you can continue with the install.

A bit of a pain, esp when you've go no PC, no net, and no why to get online and find a solution. Exactly what I was facing today.

Anyways, once working its a fantastic piece of kit, well worth the biscuits.

Plus its got BLUE LEDs!!!!!! :P

Blue LEDs

Yes they shine within the case - but that's ok, because they're BLUE!!!!! :P

I got a new board (much to my disappointment) after two SATA ports on my Asus P6T shit themselves :(

It left me 1 damn port short!

SATA = 1x USB for the case. 1x for the Verex. 1x for the DVD drive. 4x for the 4x 1TB Storage drives.

I was using 7 ports and TWO had to die, oh no it couldn't be one port, that would be too easy :P

Leaving me one port short.

So I figured what the feck, I feel like spending some cash, why not spoil myself.

Yeah I know I could have got a Gigabyte board much cheaper blah blah blah, but its my money and I wanted something drool worthy.

From the first time I seen the Rampage Extreme III, I wanted one. But the price was like O.o

Then after the P6T shit itself, I figured now's a good excuse to get one.

In all honesty if the P6T didn't shit itself I'd still be using it. Maybe it knew I secretly lusted after the Rampage and died of a broken heart :P

Got two OCZ Agillity 2 60GB SSDs today for $300. This is how the ATTO test for a RAID 0 set-up looks like. The HDDs are hooked up to the ICH10 controller on my EX58UD5 Gigabyte mobo.

I love the concept behind the RevoDrive and I believe that is the way to go for multiGB/s speeds. However, have a look a what these puppies can do:

Posted Image

Not too shabby for $300, ha?

Edited by atomidude

I got one of those 120GB RevoDrives today when I picked up my Asus rampage extreme III

Absolutely loving it. I'm using it for windows and using my 120GB Vertex for games.

Blue LEDs!!!!!! :P

It was a bit of a bugger to install though.

You have to grab drivers from OCZ and install them on a disk/USB then its as simple as loading those drivers at the start of the Windows install ...NOT!

That's what the instructions tell you, but what I found (with Windows 7) that I'd get a pop up telling me that the OS could not be installed on the drive with an error code 0x00003234 <---- I made that code up, its not the actual code, as I can't remember it :P

What I found (after much cursing OCZ for blatant lies in their instructions LOL) was on the top left hand corner of the install screen is a little blue arrow. Basically a backstep arrow taking you one step back in the install process.

For whatever reason, click it, move one step back in the process, then hit next on that screen, the drive is there AND Windows wont throw up an error code, so you can continue with the install.

A bit of a pain, esp when you've go no PC, no net, and no why to get online and find a solution. Exactly what I was facing today.

Anyways, once working its a fantastic piece of kit, well worth the biscuits.

Plus its got BLUE LEDs!!!!!! :P

Blue LEDs

So..........the blue LEDs got you in, eh?

Got my two 40GB mushkin drives today.

Just need time to put them in and install my new 64 bit Win 7.

Could be a late night.............

edit - I nearly got 3 of the bastards to RAID 0!

Edited by LogicprObe