Sign in to follow this  
PlAgE_NemSiS

$500 Stereo or comuter speakers?

i wanna get decent sound from my computer, mainly used for movies music and gaming, but im at a loss what to get a decent set of computer speakers or a reciever with a speaker setup, i thought of getting this

http://www.digitalhome.com.au/Tvs_And_Home...aign=buy-button

Then adding better speakers each time i get the money, thing is though i know nothing about amps or speakers, so im wondering if this is decent? is it worth getting over a set of $500 computer speakers?

in the long run is it gonna cost a lot too run because i would imagine the power consumption to be alot more than normal speakers.

can anyone give me advice or help please?

Thanks

IMO

Grab the amp and get the speakers separately, gives you much more flexibility in upgrading and you can attach very good speakers that will PWN any computer speaker setup.

For someone whos new to the audio scene you have a few options here.

1. Expensive set of logitechs.

They're not top of the line by a long way, but probably 80% of people will ARGUE that they're the best, simple because people stop hearing the difference.

2. Set of Studio Monitors

Find a set of POWERED monitors (speakers) usually around the $350 mark for some good ones, these are your best quality.

3. Go to an electronics store and test the stereos.

This is an easy way to get 'good sound' and an 'amp' in one package.

the down side? Speakers usually arent magnetically shielded so if you have an old CRT monitor, they have to be far away.

The up side? CDs and what not wthout the PC being on, and swith to radio if you're bored of PC sounds.

For someone whos new to the audio scene you have a few options here.

1. Expensive set of logitechs.

They're not top of the line by a long way, but probably 80% of people will ARGUE that they're the best, simple because people stop hearing the difference.

I would have to aggree with that to a degree... though i think logitech speakers are best "bang for buck". I have a set of Z2300's, payed 140 bucks for them... i would like to see you find a stereo as good as that ;).

But since the budget is higher, it would be a different story. The only set for 500 that logitech do is the Z5500's, which is pretty much the same as the Z2300's with three more speakers and a fancy control station

Hi there,

I have a set of z5500 on my computer, with an Auzentech sound card feeding the tunes. They sound great, but do not compete with full studio reference speakers (in the main room). The sound stage produced by a decent amp and speakers (with the appropriate source) is amazing. That being said, take up the suggestion of going to a store to listen to the various speakers and see if you can hear the difference, because at the end of the day it is what your ears like. With regard to your original post, set a spend limit on speakers and get the best ones for your money. Try to avoid buying incremental upgrades as it often ends up costging more! Hope this helps.

The better your system, the worse your MP3s will sound.

luckily i stop hearing that at 256kbps. so i just re-ripped my CDs @ VBR 256-320kbps.

Personally, if i was re-setting up, i'd grab a full stereo. the radio when im bored, the CDs when the PC is off, the fact i find full siize stereo drivers better than any PC speaker. mmm yeah.

but thats just me.

Thanks for all your input guys! i think im gonna go with an Amp with 2 bookshelf speakers then gradually add more.

The sound is obviously alot better! JB Hi-Fi my best bet?

Sony STRDG520B 5.1CH HDMI DG SERIES RECEIVER BLACK

85W x 5 (8O 20Hz-20kHz, 0.09% THD)

Full HD 1080p Video Output via HDMI

HDMI Switcher

24p True Cinema

BRAVIA Sync

Digital Cinema Auto Calibration

Digital Media Port

Dolby Pro Logic / II / Dolby Digital

DTS / 96/24

Portable Audio Input With Portable Audio Enhancer

AV Sync

Universal Remote

$387

JB has this on special.. any good?

You'll get sound arguments mentioning sony.

Basically they used to be 'the guys' then they went to 'the cost cutters' now they're sitting somewhere like logitech are, people accept they're good for the price, but they kno they sound slightly different.

I cant describe how, but they sound different. I however, like sony sound.

go into the store and ask for the speakers to be hooked up to said amp.

Basically they used to be 'the guys' then they went to 'the cost cutters' now they're sitting somewhere like logitech are, people accept they're good for the price, but they kno they sound slightly different.

Currently in Nederland, ive only get the net and my ex-girlfriends ears to test the amp with speakers, and by all means she isnt a tech head..

and i cant buy it when i get back.

Currently in Nederland, ive only get the net and my ex-girlfriends ears to test the amp with speakers, and by all means she isnt a tech head..

Traitor!

You should be buying Philips there!

Call around to the mansion and see my mate Jack Philips while you're there!

Traitor!

You should be buying Philips there!

Call around to the mansion and see my mate Jack Philips while you're there!

Lol, Phillips is a big part of Nederland, The whole of Eindhoven was built upon it, It all began with a light bulb company.. thing is, shipping is fucken expensive, and the difference between the price of monitors here and home isnt all that much.. so with an amp and over 100euros to get it to Australia its just no worth it.

My trust in Atomic is more than enough for me.

I've been looking to get a pair of Audioengine A2 speakers.

They seem sweet for a pair of computer speakers and come highly recommended

Just be careful when going with sony, sound quality has already been mentioned but what hasn't been is input options. Sony has pretty much gone digital/hdmi on all their amps except for the high end models, thus confirm that the input method that you want to use is available on the amp. If you're after a good quality entry level amp have a look at pioneer.

cheers

Buy a Jaycar catalogue and buy/build your own speakers, easy as heck, you save money and they also have amplifiers, speaker boxes and other gear and they don't have Sony, Pioneer, TEAC and other crap branded on them. Worth having a quick browse of the the latest catalogue at least.

The Audioengine A2 speakers look pretty good though.

Do you know where i can get a pair?

vistra are apprently the importer for australia, and all the places on where to buy dont seem to have them?

vistra are apprently the importer for australia, and all the places on where to buy dont seem to have them?

funny you should ask that, I just came on here to ask if anyone knew where to get some?

I think its probably a bad time to buy them given the current exchange rate. There is a decent Ebay seller from the US that actually ships to Australia. With Shipping the A2s cost around $400. If I'm going to spend that much money I might as well try and find a old pair of A5's if anyone is selling any around here.

I think if I were you I would wait for the exchange rate to settle

Logitech Z-5500 5 Speakers - $228 - $344

Logitech Z-2300 2 Speakers - $84 - $140

Cables Unlimited (SPK-VELO-001) 2 Wireless Speakers - $98 - $155

Here i got you some good speakers. Maybe this could help you decide.

funny you should ask that, I just came on here to ask if anyone knew where to get some?

I think its probably a bad time to buy them given the current exchange rate. There is a decent Ebay seller from the US that actually ships to Australia. With Shipping the A2s cost around $400. If I'm going to spend that much money I might as well try and find a old pair of A5's if anyone is selling any around here.

i've been waiting for A5 since August / September from mydigitalhome.com.au :(

i've been waiting for A5 since August / September from mydigitalhome.com.au :(

Im acutally thinking about a pair of A5's too sounds like they have more solid bass and should fit pretty well next to my computer.

Or use them with Air tunes. I've been waiting for ages too to be honest and it doesn't look good.