Sign in to follow this  
Kastoli

Are there any MMOs with decent PvP left?

Hey guys!, Its been a long while since I've posted a thread in the PC Gaming section of atomic, but I thought it was worth a shot... I'm not really sure where to start here, so bear with me:

Recently i've been scouring the internet for a MMORPG with a shred of decent PvP content. I'm certainly not the most easily satisfied customer...

I have a pet hate for abilties with reduced effects in pvp, and pvp defense (resilience, for anyone who plays/ed wow).

I don't even consider playing games that don't have real world pvp, as I dispise battleground and arena-like scenarios.

I'm preferably looking for a game where gear doesn't mean as much as skill (yeah, i know i'm not likely to find an mmorpg like that).

If anyone can think of anything that fits those criteria i'm certainly game for suggestions...

I'd give Warhammer: Age of Reckoning a try.

I played it from launch, to level 40, rank 80. It sounds exactly what you're after.

1. Pretty much all PVP is world PVP. There are PVE zones, and then there are PVP alleys that run from one end of the world to other, where you fight over keeps, eventually gunning for the other side's home city.

2. All powers are PVP powers and there isn't a single 'spec' that doesn't also work in PVP.

3. While there is gear for questing and gear for PVP, reasonable PVP gear is easy to get at every level from vendors, while great PVP gear drops with regularity. You never feel 'undergeared' because of the most important point...

4. It's all about skill. You got collision detection on, which means tanking PVP means something, you got the ability to hold choke points, and flank. You got actual charges, and spatial awareness is a must.

I loved it, but drifted away as the user base declined. It's now free to play to Level 10, so you're not losing anything except a 4 or 5gb install to give it a go. They've also done a great job of consolidating servers and getting rid of some early zones to push players into the PVP zones. When I did jump back on briefly this year, I found it was bustling. It's also a popular IP, so they're guaranteed a player base that's fanaticaly loyal.

I'm loathe to admit it, but I did go back to WoW after WAR, but I miss WAR a lot. It's a great game to get a heap of friends playing.

Free till level 10 you say? I might have to look into that... A friend of mine tried WAR and after a month or two decided there weren't enough players. *shrug*

The obvious response to this is to give eve online a try.

Heh, Eve was interesting... I've never been one to really 'like' games set in present, or furture timesets though. I much prefer medievil games.

WWIIoL is the ultimate WWII PvP experience - if interested I think I might be able to send you a buddy key? (no promises - it's been a while) - But that has a very tough learning curve and is too tough for many. One shot kills.

Other than that... Spellborn has closed... not sure about the others.

You don't really want an RPG.

Also, it is, generally, always about Skill. Skill leverages Gear..and if you're play an MMO, you are likely investing a lot of time.

If you want to PVP as PVP-Only.. play an FPS or SF2 or an RTS.

AoC was pretty good. I love the combat system. They actually got it pretty right. It doesn't feel as sluggish and slow to respond as some of the others. The graphics are way ahead of any of the others out there (except maybe Eve but they're different.) All the abilities are directional, so there's no real target this, hit this button. Everything is AOE in a sense that you attack from left, right, above, and lower left/right. Your main abilities are your combos. Combos comprise of a combination of those buttons, the combo lands on the last keystroke in that combo sequence, if you are not facing your target as you hit the last keystroke, the combo fails to hit. It takes skill. But it's good fun, even if you suck at it :P

The only reason I stopped playing AoC was because I didn't want to invest in two MMOs. If AoC went free to play, I would be back into it straight away, likewise if Cataclysm ends up being as bad as WotLK, I will be going back to AoC and putting WoW down.

The only major problem I see you having with AoC is the skill side of it. It does take skill. Alot more so than most other MMOs around. But with practice it is by far the most fun and most realistic fantasy/medieval MMO you will play. Although you could start by playing a caster. I've never played a caster, but I've heard they're easy in comparison to a melee class. The only other downside to it is the lack of UI modding out there, which is a big thing if you are used to playing WoW. But you can get past that.

Good luck! :)

I tried AoC when it was first released, but my latency always seemed to be my downfall... Missing combo moves simply because the game didn't register that I'd pressed an ability in time.

As for an MMO WWII game, I assume its FPP?

You don't really want an RPG.

Also, it is, generally, always about Skill. Skill leverages Gear..and if you're play an MMO, you are likely investing a lot of time.

If you want to PVP as PVP-Only.. play an FPS or SF2 or an RTS.

1: I do want an RPG, its the genre of game I enjoy the most.

2: I understand that skill is a major factor in most games, but there are also situations where gear allows people to beat even the most skilled of players. (Before the release of TBC in WoW it was possible for a naked character to beat one in BiS gear in 1v1 PvP, Something like that is what I would like.)

3: PvP Only is the exact oposite of what I want, I want intergrated PvPvE; Ideally no instanced locations, no unaccessable locations, no battlegrounds, no arenas.

Edited by Kastoli

Yes Kastoli, latency was an issue with AoC...I once pvp'd as Conqueror vs a Conqueror from a US based pvp server (I was from Gwahlur) on the test server, the only time people from different servers could fight each other, and he ran rings around me. I was on about 300+ms ping and he about 30ms...we were both lvl 80 epic fitted, and it was far from a fair fight.

AoC was great in many respects, and has apparently become even better with the Return of the Godslayer expansion, but it was too little too late for me, and many others.

Eve Online has claimed my soul now...if AoC had the depth and maturity and complexity that Eve does, it would be an awesome game by any standards.

You're asking for exactly what only WoW can give you really.. unfortunate truth. The Battleground/Arena part of it you can avoid if you really want to, but imo this is what makes WoW good, it's competitive. Especially arenas.

Outside of that, you have a little bit of world PVP to choose from, I guess places like Wintergrasp, go there when the battle isn't on, just after or just before it starts, hit up some of the areas where the elemental are, that can be fun. That's really all there is left for good solid world pvp. But it still isn't the same as it was in vanilla.

As for AoC, it has definitely come a long way since release... Definitely. Ping usually sits in the 180-220 range and while it does take an extremely short amount of time for that last keystroke to register, it's nothing in comparison for waiting for just a single ability to activate in LotRO or WAR, or even Aion.

I think people (like you and I) who played WoW in vanilla and really got into PVP in vanilla really struggle to find anything else that is as good as that was for PVP. Sucks. But seriously, give AoC another shot, get above level 40 - into the PVP zones etc. and see if you enjoy it. Don't forget to play a class that isn't too hard. For example, don't play an assassin...

As for wow being the only game to supply what I want, it never supplyed what I wanted... Vanilla was as close as it got, and even that wasn't ideal. I've been playing Aion recently, and up untill the latest patch it was a heap of fun.

I liked Eve Online, you should try it if you're a pvp person

Eve pvp was too 'automated' for me... all you had to do was lock on, select orbit and whoevers ship was fitted better won.

Heh, well I think you're out of luck? Nothing is going to cover all of the points you've mentioned. I look for similar things in MMOs that you do and WoW has satisfied me all the way up until WotLK came out...

I haven't come across any other MMO that does it better than Vanilla WoW did, though. :<

The major problem in Wrath is the jump in gear, the way it scales with every new tier of content is huge. Haste/ArP ratings are through the roof, increasing the damage and the healing to a point where it's just *too* fast. If you take off your good gear, have your opponent take off their good gear, and run around in level 60 PVP gear, the game feels a lot better overall. But who would do that? lol.

Sorry dude, I'm out of ideas ><

Edit: what did the latest patch for Aion do that killed it for you? I couldn't get into it from the get-go really =/

Edited by Brock

Heh, well I think you're out of luck? Nothing is going to cover all of the points you've mentioned. I look for similar things in MMOs that you do and WoW has satisfied me all the way up until WotLK came out...

I haven't come across any other MMO that does it better than Vanilla WoW did, though. :<

The major problem in Wrath is the jump in gear, the way it scales with every new tier of content is huge. Haste/ArP ratings are through the roof, increasing the damage and the healing to a point where it's just *too* fast. If you take off your good gear, have your opponent take off their good gear, and run around in level 60 PVP gear, the game feels a lot better overall. But who would do that? lol.

Sorry dude, I'm out of ideas ><

Edit: what did the latest patch for Aion do that killed it for you? I couldn't get into it from the get-go really =/

If you ever got to the level where you could go rifting, they've practically rendred it impossible now. You basically take a 'portal' into your enemies leveling areas and run around a 'gank' (for lack of a better word) then whilst they're leveling.

With the latest patch they've added an 80% damage reduction to the 'invading' party, to protect the 'defending' party from unwanted ganking. Sadly all the PvE Carebears and Kids complaining about getting ganked have ruined (what in my opinion) made the game a step above average. Its basically the same grind as wow is atm, but with more world pvp... and with all the servers being unbalanced in favor of a single faction, even that isn't fun.

Edited by Kastoli

Ah, Vanilla WoW... running around Tarren Mill during some of the most awesome PvP I've ever engaged in.

Even better, a huge player-run world event on Feathermoon that crashed the server - a huge stoush between about a dozen of the biggest 'military' guilds that saw entire battalions marching to war.

Fun times.

Rifting in Aion wasnt bad, so I agree that the nerf was a bit stupid personally.

But it was annoying as hell to see these twinked glads in MM griefing groups. Some groups cant fight back, and I dont blame them. I tried fighting in Abyss, but most of them are either too high level or majorly twinked resulting me instant loss, I can flee sometimes but its not enjoyable to PLAY a game where I have little to no chance in PvP.

I got some gear farming AP secretly. But seriously its annoying as hell, and the AP is too expensive......

Rifting in Aion wasnt bad, so I agree that the nerf was a bit stupid personally.

But it was annoying as hell to see these twinked glads in MM griefing groups. Some groups cant fight back, and I dont blame them. I tried fighting in Abyss, but most of them are either too high level or majorly twinked resulting me instant loss, I can flee sometimes but its not enjoyable to PLAY a game where I have little to no chance in PvP.

I got some gear farming AP secretly. But seriously its annoying as hell, and the AP is too expensive......

I have to agree, twinked rifting was a big problem after the servers got up and running; but whilst everyone was still leveling and nobody was really 'twinked' rifting was some of the most fun I'd ever had in an MMO.

I actually really like the AP system, you get alot more AP from PvP than you do from grinding monsters in the Abyss, once you've got reasonable gear at level 50 you could get 50k ap in an hour; and with the level 50 weapons costing just shy of a million AP that doesn't seem like a very significant 'farm' to me... not compared to some others anyway.

I have to agree, twinked rifting was a big problem after the servers got up and running; but whilst everyone was still leveling and nobody was really 'twinked' rifting was some of the most fun I'd ever had in an MMO.

I actually really like the AP system, you get alot more AP from PvP than you do from grinding monsters in the Abyss, once you've got reasonable gear at level 50 you could get 50k ap in an hour; and with the level 50 weapons costing just shy of a million AP that doesn't seem like a very significant 'farm' to me... not compared to some others anyway.

Maybe I need to get to lvl 50, but I cant see how you can get 50k AP in an hour, unless you win constantly dredgion or something. In Fort Sieging ( I love it ), I get about 2k per successful fort siege.

Also with AP you only get it if you kill something, so if you have a long fight and you lost, you dont get any AP :( which is a bit of a shame as a Templar. Not sure how heals work yet, need to play my Cleric in Fort Sieging when I get a chance.