Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×

I mentioned this phone in another thread, but I think it deserves its own. The Desire HD is a new phone by HTC, similar in concept to the Evo 4G sold in the US of A.

Posted Image

The specs are as follows:

1GHz Snapdragon (MSM8255) (has Adreno 205 GPU, which features accelerated Flash)

768MB RAM

Google Android 2.2 with HTC Sense Interface

4.3 inch touch screen 480 x 800 resolution

8.0 Megapixel Camera with auto focus and 2 x LED flashlight

1.5GB Internal Storage

Bluetooth 2.1 with FTP/OPP, A2DP, PBAP

WiFi IEEE 802.11 b/g/n

Dolby Mobile and SRS Surround Sound

DLNA Compatible

Lithium-ion 1230mAh battery

Apart from the 1.5GB of storage (I seriously don't get this, probably a cost thing) and somewhat disappointing battery capacity, this phone looks to be impressive! It has a great SoC, plenty of RAM, decent camera, and is made from a block of aluminium (a unibody phone?) I think it's safe to say it has a better touch controller than the original Desire, since HTC copped a fair bit of flack for that. By the look of it, you can pre-order this beast from the UK for around $700ish AUD. A bit pricey, but still cheaper than many current phones sourced locally. I'm waiting on reviews to see if there's anything wrong with it (like battery longevity). It certainty looks slick!

So, who's thinking of getting one? Impressions?

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

I am interested but I am leaning more to the Desire Z for the keyboard.

I'll be getting one once some reviews confirm how awesome it is :D

Isn't the 800MHz cpu also smaller die size or something? [sorry I'm very tired]

Either way, I really like the look of both phones, I think reviews and test use of both will be the decider between them - I don't really baby my phones so the uni-body aluminium design of the HD is great.

I was going to get a Galaxy S but its just too flimsy feeling...

Edited by matteh

Since I found out Motorola aren't going to release anything higher than 1.6 for my Backflip (but the US gets a 2.2 release - bastards!) i'm looking at either this, or the Desire Z.

I like a physical keyboard, so I'm probably leaning more towards the Z.

For anyone intersted here are some nice vids of the

and the

Both look so good... I actually really like the hinge mechanism on the Z from what I can see in that video, looks pretty solid. Still like to feel it in person though!

Yup, now that HTC have decent specs, the Galaxy S has dropped completely from my recommended list.

Yep, that's the way tech goes, always something better coming soon. HTC Desire HD is the hot phone at the moment.

Looks like a very nice phone with most of the boxes ticked, especially the 8 MP camera with dual LED flash and 720p video.

I don't see the 1.5 GB internal memory as being a problem, as 16 to 32 GB cards are plentiful, and in a years time 64 GB cards may be common at an afforable price.

One concern that I have is the battery size. When you get a phone with a huge screen like this, it is a power muncher. A 1230 mAh battery isn't going to last a day for a frequent user.

But that is the trade off between slimness and power.

The phone looks very fast in the video, but is it Froyo or the CPU/RAM?

Don't know, that is why it is important for all Android users to PM me with their Quadrant scores ASAP - before Froyo is widely distributed, so that comparisons can be made!

Edited by kungfutiger

interesting.

Given that most reviews I've read have the current Desire as the "Editor's Choice", the new Desire HD keeps HTC at the top of the tree.

Today :)

Nothing moves as fast as the mobile phone market at the moment. The releases and improvements are astounding.

From a market perspective, Android phones are now taking market share away from RIM in the business/enterprise space. It's quickly become a 2 horse race - iPhone and Android.

Definity going for the Desire Z or HD - tossing up between larger screen size or keyboard but currently it looks like the Desire HD is the one... now to find that $700

No need for me to upgrade my Nexus One. I'll wait for the next generation of devices to hit. No big changes for me to upgrade to a new phone.

No need for me to upgrade my Nexus One. I'll wait for the next generation of devices to hit. No big changes for me to upgrade to a new phone.

isnt the nexus one discontinnuted? i thought that google doesnt support it anymore?

isnt the nexus one discontinnuted? i thought that google doesnt support it anymore?

Only discontinued from Google themselves, you can still buy them from 3rd parties. The phone is still supported, it's the official developer phone (as shit as it is for that purpose).

Only discontinued from Google themselves, you can still buy them from 3rd parties. The phone is still supported, it's the official developer phone (as shit as it is for that purpose).

ooh... whats the price? should i get this (the disire HD) or go for the nexus one?

Edited by jdog

Desire HD for sure, pending a detailed review.

i too am waiting for detailed review.. i wonder if atomic or PCA will do one....

(just looked at the POTF (post of the day) and saw that im up to with 30 post and 54 till next rank WOOT!)

Edited by jdog

Looks like a great phone, and I might be upgrading my phone in the next few months.

But I noticed that VHA has exclusive release for Australia, so if I want one for NextG, I'll have to import it myself (if I can find a WCDMA850 model).