Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
camotec

2x OCZ Vertex 2 60GB in RAID 0

SSDs have been around for a couple of years now but I am yet to read about systematic catstrophic failure on a large scale. On the other hand mechanical hdds failure is quite common. If you buy an SSD today only if you're sure it will last you 10 years well, wait another 8 years to find out how they go. fact is, SSDs are faster, cooler and safer than their mechanical cousins. Price is not that much of an issue anymore if you compare run of the mill SSDs with Raptors for example.

Yeah............since I can now get a 40GB for under $150........it'd have to last a few years as a boot drive if I RAID 0 two of them, wouldn't it?

edit - I reckon Pandemonium is right!

MTBF: 2 million hours

Controller: SandForce SF-1200

Interface Type: SATA II (3Gb/s)

Warranty: 3 years limited

IOPS: up to 45,000

Edited by LogicprObe

Yeah............since I can now get a 40GB for under $150........it'd have to last a few years as a boot drive if I RAID 0 two of them, wouldn't it?

edit - I reckon Pandemonium is right!

MTBF: 2 million hours

Controller: SandForce SF-1200

Interface Type: SATA II (3Gb/s)

Warranty: 3 years limited

IOPS: up to 45,000

It is common site these days to pickup 60GB SSD Drives (Utilising the SF-1200 or SF-1222 Controllers) for around $150, same ones as the few I got, like atomidude said, they have been around for a while and should give you a decent run.

PC Case Gear is a good start if your interested.

Edited by camotec

Thanks.

I can actually get the 40GB ones for around $100 but I was trying to keep to rough retail prices!

I think I'm gonna take the plunge though!

i may have to add a small one to my build then....

I was thinking of getting two to RAID 0 to replace the Raptors in my main PC and one for the HTPC.

anyone knows the difference between Agillity 2 and Vertex 2? From what I know they only run slightly different firmware on identical Sandforce controllers.

Edited by atomidude

Maybe TRIM wont be so much of an issue because once a drive slows to the point of being useless, you can simply transfer the contents to another drive and turf it?

Couldn't you just manually run the TRIM command, so to speak, like happened before Win7?

Maybe TRIM wont be so much of an issue because once a drive slows to the point of being useless, you can simply transfer the contents to another drive and turf it?

Couldn't you just manually run the TRIM command, so to speak, like happened before Win7?

Are you talking TRIM for one drive, or two drives in a RAID config? because the way I understand it, TRIM doesn't work at all in a RAID array. So even if you have Win7 and some 3rd party software/app to apply TRIM, it's be useless in a RAID set up.

I could be wrong ...

^^ could be possible osama

edit: but wouldn't have some thought of that already lol

Edited by tunksy

^^ could be possible osama

edit: but wouldn't have some thought of that already lol

that's a good question - I've never heard of anyone trying even sofware RAID with SSD's, don't they generally use their boards controllers, or add on cards to set RAID up.....might have to google it, and see what happens (wish I could afford to grab another SSD and find out!)

I'm pretty sure the board controllers are software RAID as well.

whatever they are, they use their own drivers and configuration, whereas software RAID uses native windows drivers......

Software raid isn't exclusively Windows or any other OS, it's any Raid which doesn't use a specific processor and dedicated ram to manage the raid. 99% of motherboard Raids are a software raid.