Sign in to follow this  
Takoma

The Ultimate Fighter Season 12

Well now, just watched Ep4 with Kyle Watson and Andy Main. Fucking brilliant fight. Awesome. Watson is Matt Hughes' jiu jitsu coach, and you can tell that they learn from each other. Watson showed the same patience that Hughes does, everything methodical, thought out, and executed with a mind for the position, not the fight. He didn't try for subs too early, he waited and got himself in the best possible position to leverage it, and the payoff is evident, one submission attempt produced one submission.

God I love jiu jitsu. Miss it like crazy.

Courage is not about not being afraid, courage is being afraid, but doing it anyway.

GSP zen type shit right there.

'

Fuck GSP's advice, how good was Tyson's little sermon at the start? I would have loved to have been there for that, it would have been awesome to hear his thoughts on fighting.

Edited by Takoma

Caught the latest ep, not bad. Can't wait for it to all kick off in the house. Glad to see GSP doing so well.

The in fighting between the coaches and all the crap outside the ring is pretty entertaining.

Courage is not about not being afraid, courage is being afraid, but doing it anyway.

GSP zen type shit right there.

Another solid ep, another decent fight. The team GSP guy didn't panic and try and slam the guy off his back or anything which likely would have given up his throat or compromised him some other way, he just took the strength draining pushinment of a 75kg dude on your back until he could get a better position. Worked it beautifully, played his own game. And Main did better than I thought he would, really. I'm not sure why Koscheck thought they could turn him in to a stand up fighter within a week - bad tactics on the coaches side if you ask me, and they convinced him he only lost 'cause he didn't follow their stupid plan.

I love that Koscheck is actually working against himself trying to piss off GSP. It doesn't seem to effect GSP, and it frustrates Koscheck that he can't get a rise. If the contest was purely mind games GSP would destroy Koscheck. I mean, yeah, he'll still physically destroy him when the fight comes, but it'd be even more so if it were purely mind games. The best Koscheck can do is make fun of him behind his back 'cause he's got a French accent 'cause he's from Quebec... I think his team mates chuckling along to that joke is the only thing keeping him from flipping out.

And I noticed something else. GSP is all about controlling the wrist. Every single fight so far there's been a constant repetative "Control the wrist <fighter's name>" whenever there's a clinch/hold on. Interesting.

And I noticed something else. GSP is all about controlling the wrist. Every single fight so far there's been a constant repetative "Control the wrist <fighter's name>" whenever there's a clinch/hold on. Interesting.

Its much, much, much better than Ortiz last season. Constantly yelling "Underhooks, underhooks, underhooks!" and "Up, up, up, up!". That shit got old, fast.

'

Its much, much, much better than Ortiz last season. Constantly yelling "Underhooks, underhooks, underhooks!" and "Up, up, up, up!". That shit got old, fast.

'

Don't forget the old chestnut of "Elbows, elbows, elbows, elbows!"

Upupupupupupupupupupup has been Tito's bread and butter in both seasons he's coached. That and patting his fighters on the arse, which Hendo seemed to enjoy as well.

Don't forget the old chestnut of "Elbows, elbows, elbows, elbows!"

Plus one.

'

Haha if the fighters listened they wouldn't have to keep repeating it :)

Looking forward to the next ep when they get some education.

Man, little Nam Phan showed us a thing or two, and against Spencer Paige, one of my early favourites too.

Show what I know :p

Man, little Nam Phan showed us a thing or two, and against Spencer Paige, one of my early favourites too.

Show what I know :p

Nam Phan has a few fight videos up on youtube if you're interested. Kid has been around for at least 5 years.

I was curious what happened to Paige, who seemed to shut down pretty quickly. Apparently he ruined his shin and right hand while striking. Which is pretty hard to get a win with against a competent opponent.

I kinda wish Nam was on GSPs side, 'cause I think his personality and dedication would benefit more from GSPs holistic approach than Koscheck's exercise lots and think positive approach.

Koscheck's team was bound to get a victory sooner or later, and unlike GSP I doubt Koscheck is going to even try for vaugley even matches. He'll pick the weakest GSP team member (probably Dane, unless he's got his cardio way up) and his strongest, probably someone good on the ground like Marc Stevens.

That was quite possibly the most awesome 20 minutes (the back end of the ep) of TV that I've ever seen.

What looks like GSP's tactics had Cody submit his opponent in 18 seconds by the clock, but I'm pretty sure he had the lock that normally would have resulted in a tap in less than 10 seconds. I'm thinking around the 5 second point. I remember a punch, a kick, an attempted take down and choke... down and done.

Marc & Koscheck talking shit about Cody being a part time fighter. Taunting him at the weigh in and promotion pic. Then BAM. Decisive. Superior battle plan, superior execution, submission knock out virtually instantly. Koscheck in shock. Stevens saying he's still one of the best well rounded fighters, in spite of being completely over run.

They don't say it (I don't think) but they were expecting Cody to wait for Marc to shoot and planning to keep the fight standing through Cody's cowardly hanging back ('cause they're the alphas, and the calm guys can't be agro). But GSP and Cody showed their brains and provoked the shoot, setting up the killer guillotine. Hot damn. Holy. Fucking Shit. So awesome.

And then a quick follow on with the funny looking and slightly off personality of Brookins against the scary slovak guy with, this time, a clear superior fighter. Faster. Smarter. Cautious. Looks like he's going to be taken down then uses the slovak guy's (Magikians?) attempt at a take down against him. Gets position. Doesn't panic. Patiently waits for the opportunity to choke... then makes sure the dude was OK before accepting the win. And no crowing afterwards, even in the privacy of the interview.

And all the time, GSP showing his cool. And his cool combined with Cody's little jabs is what made Koscheck make a bad choice. If he'd gone Dane v Marc he had a better chance of keeping control, but he wanted to take Cody down a peg so he threw his training buddy at him and BAM. He got fishermaned.

Easily the best TUF yet. I think it's the first time I've seen a truly smart and effective coach in his picks, match-ups and strategies. He chooses match ups that you're not sure about, but so far have been incredibly successful. In fact the toughest fight was probably the one with Michael Johnson, and I reckon that's because he doesn't really fit with GSP's style and probably didn't enact GSPs tactics. And I'm including the one that GSP lost in that statement, 'cause it looks largely like that was an injury issue.

Great watch. Just great.

Edited by tantryl

I was watching it with my little bro, and I said "Holy fuck I don't want that Mini Koshceck handitard to win, but I don't think Cody has it". Then I turned my head and the guy was fucking asleep.

That was epic.

'

Hot damn. Holy. Fucking Shit. So awesome.

Hahaha, this quote says it all. That sub 20 second fight was hilarious, as was Koshcheck's face and Dana's post fight comments.

That Brookins kid looks like a serious finalist. And yeah that dude who lots on GSP's team had a broken hand, so I think he did really well under the conditions.

Was looking at other opinions on the ep and found this gem of an interview from Nam Phan. More than ever I wish he were on GSPs team.

---------

Nam Phan: We told Stevens numerous times not to shoot but to try to stand and go for the knockout. But all he kept saying was, “this guy can’t guillotine me” and “he hasn’t fought anyone like me.”

VigilanteMMA: Hmm, that took all of 20 seconds to dispel. When you talk all that crap, it sure makes the fall from grace that much further. What did he say after he awoke from his little nap courtesy of McKenzie?

Nam Phan: After his loss, he blamed Koscheck because he said he didn’t fight well against taller guys. And that he would have preferred to fight Dane Sayers and that his mind wasn’t set on McKenzie.

---------

He did suggest Dane first, but what a pussy. Koscheck's #1 picks GSPs #6 (last) to fight? Pussy. Like I said, I expected Koscheck to do that 'cause he's proud and didn't want to take a loss, but he let Cody get to him with his laconic and simple come backs. And Cody got to Stevens too, which is why I think he didn't complain when the match was chosen.

The whole interview is interesting, with plenty of reasons I could see that Nam would have been even better on Team GSP :(

*EDIT* Hah, that interview is just part of the series of Nam Phan post-ep reports on that website. First thing Nam says when they discuss the coaches is everyone wanted GSP (and why wouldn't they, he's the best) and that his personality would have suited GSP more :P

Edited by tantryl

Was looking at other opinions on the ep and found this gem of an interview from Nam Phan. More than ever I wish he were on GSPs team.

I like that kid. Seems to have his head screwed on right.

P.S. The best part of that episode was them all sitting in the dressing room after and it being dead silent. Koscheck, silent. First guy, silent. Second guy, silent. Nam Phan "...wow".

'

OK, I get the feeling this'll be my only chance to discuss this before everyone else watches it and I have to wait until Sunday. If you've downloaded and already watched it when you read this... bugger. This isn't for you.

So - do you think Dane can take the fight with Psycho? Who are the two you think will get the re-birth fight?

I think Dane can do it if he uses his explosive flurry. Even though I'm sure his stamina has improved during the hard core training of TUF, I can't imagine he'll last a full two rounds let alone three with a solid fighter like Sako. His best bet is to hang back at the start, avoid take downs, then flurry strike and flying knees. Repeat. It's a gamble, you can be put down hard while trying a flurry, especially if the opposition is expecting it. But I expect they'll be expecting it, which is why I say he should hang back and avoid the clinch/ground first then throw the flurry. If he doesn't KO the guy, I doubt his chances.

On the nominations for the re-births... I'd wager Paige if he hadn't complained both in show and in the official podcast about a broken hand and screwed up shin. He messed up early in his attacks on a great defender in Nam, screwing his hand and shin. That pretty much rules him out, I think. If he's fit, I'd expect him to be in the fight though.

The only Koscheck guy I think deserves a second shot is the English dude. Frankly, he was surprised when Johnson came out firing in the third after a lackluster first two rounds (which I wouldn't have blinked an eyelid if The English Guy had won on decision, tbh). Mayeb Jeff Lentz deserves another shot. I honestly can't see any other Koscheck team member deserving that, Sako pendind.

So, again - do you think Dane can take the fight with Psycho? Who are the two you think will get the re-birth fight?

I didn't think much of Dane, but the way my picks are going this season that probably means he'll win the whole fucking thing :p

Armenian guys are fucking crazy. Eastern European fighters in general are all mental, psychotic head cases who go in to kill motherfuckers, so it's no surprise he's one of the last guys to get picked to fight. My feeling is that he'll look to keep Dane in check with constant heavy pressure, and push the pace in an effort to tire Dane out. As I mentioned before, Dane was hanging his hands midway through the first fight, and I reckon that's Sako's target right there.

Dane's scrappy though, and he's had a lot of time to train and improve. I'm really torn in this fight, I want to support Team GSP, but I want to see Sako vs Alex, and I want him to win that fight too.

Should be a cracker of an episode, regardless.

What about re-births? There's a fight between losers to find the eighth fighter. The field is 8 wide - Spencer Paige, Dane Sayers, Marc Stevens, Sevak Magakian, Sako Chivitchian, Andy Main, Aaron Wilkinson, and Jeff Lentz are all potentials. Who do you think will face off for the surprise re-entry?