Hi all,

I know there are a few guru's here that have a lot of expierience with ZFS and I need some help.

I have done some research on Open Solaris and ZFS but cannot work out the BS from the good stuff, the following is what I have and what I want to achieve.

IBM x3200 server mobo

Xeon dual core 1.83ghz

4gb DDR2

3x LSI HBA's for a total of 12 ports

1x 250gb seagate using onboard sata (for OS and vm's)

12x 1tb seagates using the HBA's (direct attached, not using the HBA's raid)

I want to run 12 x 1tb drives for network storage and media serving to my home thertre setup, I also want to share internet to my ps3 and T-Box from a 2 port gigabit pci card on the server. A vm sandbox as well tat I can access from my w7 desktop.

I also want to download from this box and remotly manage that from my w7 desktop

What is the best setup for the 12x 1tb drives, can they just be pooled using ZFS with redundancy into one monstorous drive?

What can I use to serve the media to my ps3? I was using ps3 media player under windows.. Does Open Solaris have any reasonable media serving capabilities? The server will be connected to my telly by HDMI.

As I want to run VMware server is is viable to load up a media frontend in a vm on the server to navagate and play my media? I would still like to server media to my ps3 though.

Um, thats all I can think of for the moment.

I was holding off using Solaris as I was running a cctv card which was xp only but I am moving to IP cams

Any help?

I also want to download from this box and remotly manage that from my w7 desktop

Can be done, I'm running Transmission and SABnzbd+ on my osol box. I can help out here when/if you get to it. You will have to compile them yourself, but it is fairly easy. I have started writing a guide to installing SAB, will do one for Transmission when I rebuild my ZFS NAS on a new mobo.

What is the best setup for the 12x 1tb drives, can they just be pooled using ZFS with redundancy into one monstorous drive?

I'd be looking at setting up a raidz2 pool with that many spindles. ZFS with double parity, works really well for me :) Lump it all into one pool and be happy. This is pretty simple to do:
zpool create storage raidz2 <list of drives>
This will create a pool called storage. You can use zpool list and zpool status to check it out from there.

You can get a list of drives by running the format command.

You probably want to turn compression on as well, doesn't appear to impact performance a lot:

zfs set compression=on storage
I probably wouldn't bother with dedupe, but depends on the data you are storing. From the sounds of things, it will be mostly media and data where the overhead will make it largely pointless.

What can I use to serve the media to my ps3? I was using ps3 media player under windows.. Does Open Solaris have any reasonable media serving capabilities? The server will be connected to my telly by HDMI.

Haven't had to do it, so can't really help here.

As I want to run VMware server is is viable to load up a media frontend in a vm on the server to navagate and play my media? I would still like to server media to my ps3 though.

hmmmmmmm I guess the best bet would be to see if there are any Gnome media front-ends and run this on the console. Then you can run Virtualbox ( http://www.virtualbox.org/ ) for VMs if you really want.

Anyway, hope the helps :)

+ 1 On the RAIDZ2 suggestion.

I'd also consider using Nexenta core or SX:CE as an alternative to OpenSolaris. OpenSolaris is now dead in the water, though Build 134 is still perfectly functional there will be no further releases of OpenSolaris.

+ 1 On the RAIDZ2 suggestion.

I'd also consider using Nexenta core or SX:CE as an alternative to OpenSolaris. OpenSolaris is now dead in the water, though Build 134 is still perfectly functional there will be no further releases of OpenSolaris.

SXCE is OpenSolaris, but with everything rolled in and released for every build.

Nexenta is a rebadge of OpenSolaris with a linux frontend.

I think my point is... they're all as dead as each other.

As for the rest of it, it looks pretty solid. If you want to not run things directly on the OSol host, run VirtualBox and some flavour of Windows, you can get things like PS3 media server running then easily.

That should cover it.

Nice, thanks for the reply's

I have vista on the box at the moment and it really is a pig but I have opensolaris in a vm and I have been navagating around it trying to learn the ropes.

I am leaning toward Vuze as a torrent and media front end for the opensolaris if I can compile it but I guess it should be doable being a java app

I am not to worried about opensolaris being dead for development as this box will be an appliance and once running I do not intend to fiddle with it for a few years, at which time there is likely to be a newer solution.

I have read that ZFS is fairly hungry for ram and cores, am I better off using 8gb and a q6600?

I have those parts I can plonk in if there is a real noticable advantage in doing so.

Also about the internet connection sharing through the 2 port pci nic, is opensolaris happy to share a connection to my ps3 and t-box by bridging the 2port nic and the onboard one? thats how I got it to work with vista

I also have some 80gb drives that I was considering using as a Raid 1E on one of the HBA's for the OS and a seperate 250gb as the vm sandbox

If I did this I would have

3x 80gb in Raid 1E for the OS

1x 250gb for vm's

8x 1tb in Raidz2

any advantage? I would use the other 1tb drives I had for backup of teh ZFS monster in a USB enclosure (I have a 8 bay usb caddy)

I haven't notice my i3/4GB system being taxed that much. If you enable dedupe, that will hammer it a fair bit. But if you do plan to run VMs on it as well, the more resources the better.

As for RAID on the boot volume, I personally don't bother. But the joy of ZFS is that you can plonk it into another machine and do a zpool import and your data will be fine. I've had to do this recently, and went off without a hitch.

Separating the VM data to another disk may take a bit of load off your zpool, but if you are just going to be pushing stuff out over gigabit, you may be able to just dump it on your pool with no noticeable impact. I have a 6-spindle raidz2 and it easily saturates the gigabit link. Without running vbox myself, can't really comment.

The network bridging should also be possilbe AFAIK. Try it out on your OSol VM.

cool, going to take the plunge and install the OSol tonite

once the os is up and running what is the easiest way to remote desktop into OSol?

I would prefer to set everthing up via a session from my w7 box,

sorry I do not know a great deal about *nix

I only ever SSH in with Putty, but OSol runs a VNC server by default IIRC. If not, you can use the package manager to install a VNC server.

Run TightVNC client on Windows 7 for a simple remote desktop solution.

If you want to administer *nix boxes from Windows you need these (free) tools:

PuTTy - Secure Shell access.

WinSCP - Secure FTP type file transfer over SSH protocol

TightVNC or equivalent - Remote access to desktop.

The Windows RDP client - To access your Virtualbox machines over RDP5 protocol.

On the *nix box I find 'Screen' an invaluable tool also.

Having trouble getting the gui up and installing from the live cd

vid card is hd4350

downloading the other iso now and giving it a try

Having trouble getting the gui up and installing from the live cd

vid card is hd4350

downloading the other iso now and giving it a try

What happening? Gnome or KDE?

I get Gnome ui for the bootloader only then she goes to text

I get command line access for jack, thats about it, I did install OSol on other hardware so the burn should be ok

Reboots are the pits, the ol girl takes a while to address all the drives

Edited by Betzie

Thanks sneddo, after the 4th 10min cold boot and googling the build number the 2009.06 is teh problem

ok, I give up for tonite, I dont think the loader likes the HDMI, might need to hook up a monitor on dsub

Edited by Betzie

Betzie, brains is right.

You're better off installing CentOS 5 and compiling in fuse-zfs or zfs-fuse. The latest 0.6.9 build gives you full ZFS compatibility, including deduplication.

Betzie, brains is right.

BAM.

You're better off installing CentOS 5 and compiling in fuse-zfs or zfs-fuse. The latest 0.6.9 build gives you full ZFS compatibility, including deduplication.

Wait what? Fuck that noise. Fuck fuse right in the fucking fusehole.

Havn't fired it up since the other night, I have all next week off and will have another crack then

Not interested in linux, will use OSol or give up and go back to WHS

The latest 0.6.9 build gives you full ZFS compatibility, including deduplication.

OK. Let's just stop for a moment there.

Using FUSE to abstract ZFS in userland isn't just a painful thought, it's performance when you start to turn on all the features that make it worth using will be _horrific_.

You can't hope to actually use L2ARC appropriately (let alone L1-ARC) in user land. What do you think will happen when you turn on dedupe, compression and then possibly lay zraid1/2/3 through a software abstraction?

Understand what turning on deduplication actually does, before turning it on. It effectively turns every read and write into a non sequential random I/O pattern. Think about the impact this will have on user-time on a filesystem sitting "over the top" of an additional FS.

I don't recommend this at all. Just take a deep breath and think about it.

Kudos to Leo for suggesting an out of left field solution - but from significant expertise and experience with this kind of thing, it's not really a reality you want to live in...

My take? Run up OpenSolaris b134 (if you get it working in the end) and then upgrade to Illumos once it becomes stable. I'm currently using it with zpool version 27 - and man, the future is now (but a bit buggy still!).

z

Edited by zebra

YaY Zeb is here!!

Ok, here is a question from left field....

If I were to setup ZFS with OSol and then loaded macos with the appropriate module would I be pushing shit up hill?

strikes me that macos would make a nice front end for my drive pool

YaY Zeb is here!!

Ok, here is a question from left field....

If I were to setup ZFS with OSol and then loaded macos with the appropriate module would I be pushing shit up hill?

strikes me that macos would make a nice front end for my drive pool

Let's break down what you mean - cause' I'm not sure I understand yet.

So - your idea is, that you build your OpenSol box, and make a nice big phat zpool. You then make a Mac OS X Virtual Machine inside it and target the storage over CIFS or NFS....using the Mac as a server for stuff like bit-torrent and what not?

Can you describe what you mean more fully?

Ta.

z

was kinda suggesting that OSol is loaded up and the pool created and dat migrated..

then the OSol install replaced by MacOS

was kinda suggesting that OSol is loaded up and the pool created and dat migrated..

then the OSol install replaced by MacOS

That is a super cool suggestion - but, that is damn edgy, when you consider that:

1. Mac OS X needs a third party module just to use ZFS these days.

2. It's hella edgy and buggy, at best.

Once you'd made the pool, you'd need to get Mac OS X 10.6 installed, then install:

http://code.google.com/p/maczfs/

...then a zpool import -f.

I'd even try a native install of maczfs and see if you can make the pool without using OSOL.

Either way - it's a bit edgy. If it were me? I'd install OpenSol, then throw the OS of choice into a VirtualBox VM - and talk to the ZFS pool over CIFS or NFS.

I'm keen to see which way you turn and how it turns out!

z

Cool, so it is technically possible, I'm still thinking a strait OSol install is best for me aslong as I can get Vuze to work as my media frontend and media server for the odd occation that I would display the server OS on my telly, aslong as I get Vuze running to stream to my ps3 the rest of the management would be done from my w7 box.

cant wait until tomoz arvo 9 days off!!

If I cant get this running in 9 days lol, I will admit defeat and sell my soul back to WHS

If I cant get this running in 9 days lol, I will admit defeat and sell my soul back to WHS

Keep us informed. Love projects like this...

z

which of the 2 hardware setups on page 1 do you think is best Zeb?

3x 80gb hardware raided 1E for the OS

8x 1tb Raidz2 pool

1x 250gb for vm's and downloads prior to placing in the Raidz pool

with my spare 4 1tb drives in the caddy as a mirror of all my data

or

1x 250gb for OS, vm's and downloads

12x 1tb Raidz2 pool

my drives are currently out of thier hotswap bays as I have been backing everything up before starting the conversion

Oh and your thoughts on the ram and cpu?

xeon dc 1.83 and 4gb

or

q6600 qc and 8gb

slipping in the extra ram and the quad means i downgrade my windows7 box but it is being upgraded around xmas anyway

Edited by Betzie