1x 250gb for OS, vm's and downloads

12x 1tb Raidz2 pool

q6600 qc and 8gb

This. Why?

1. ZFS loves RAM for it's L1ARC, above all else.

2. No point in mirroring raidz data from pool to less intelligent pool (hence, 12 * raidz2 is smartest here).

3. Q6600 is more threadable - ZFS will love it if you start to work it hard with dedupe et al.

z

rgr,

I will swap out the cpu and ram, after it is up and running I want it to serve me well for a few years.

project kicks off in T minus 10 hours

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There is teh beast!!!

Really love this case, Lian Li PC-767

fitting up the quad and ram now, project Burgturdler is GO!

[edit] lol 11pm and I am only ready to boot into OSol now, had to pillage and rebuild 3 pc's to swap cpu's and ram around...JoY!

Edited by Betzie

Some hardware issues here,

Both the latest and official release OSol discs I have will not boot.

Being a server/workstaintin board and proprietary IBM it is a turd to work with, I am surprised she wont fire tho as I have had a few flavors of linux load up no problem and windows is fine... :|

I could replace the board but I would loose one of the HBA's as it is a mini pcie module

Some hardware issues here,

Both the latest and official release OSol discs I have will not boot.

Being a server/workstaintin board and proprietary IBM it is a turd to work with, I am surprised she wont fire tho as I have had a few flavors of linux load up no problem and windows is fine... :|

I could replace the board but I would loose one of the HBA's as it is a mini pcie module

Tried text only install option?

z

yea its hanging :|

cant even log into command line

Gah. Shit.

OK. Do you have b134 there, or just "normal" opensolaris?

z

both the official release and b134

the 2006.06 hangs strait away, the b134 gets a little further but hangs before it can deliver a command line.

switched a bunch of stuff on and off in the bios and hba controller, but been thru theese trial before with cirtain linux distros

it will be the board archetecure I'm thinking,

both the official release and b134

the 2006.06 hangs strait away, the b134 gets a little further but hangs before it can deliver a command line.

switched a bunch of stuff on and off in the bios and hba controller, but been thru theese trial before with cirtain linux distros

it will be the board archetecure I'm thinking,

I think you're likely right. What board and model number pls?

z

Oh, this sounds familiar.

Although I had a Gigabyte board that didn't work... it all ended in tears, hardware RAID and Ubuntu.

I remember those late night tears :(.

z

Yep, Vail is up and running at the moment not problems, but the bios of this board is a little quirky, having a missing string error at the POST screen and will oly follow throught to windows if I have entered the bios and then exit... wierd

having trouble finding a bios update aswel...

Was looking at this board as a replacement

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14257

my vid card is pcie x1 as I had to source one from the states to suit the IBM wierd arse layout

The hba is pcie x8 and I'd have to use the pcie x16 slot for the hba and 4 onboard ports to support all my drives.

as it stands I have at the moment an immencely powerfull windows home server, 4 cores, 8gb ram and 8mb cache

its doing well running vm's tho

will make a decision on getting a new mobo and having another crack at OSol this week, but for now unfortunatly its all go WHS Vail

I've just heard about OpenIndiana a couple of days ago Zeb, you'd be the man to ask.

Is this likely to be the logical upgrade path for a OpenSolaris B134 user do you think?

I've just heard about OpenIndiana a couple of days ago Zeb, you'd be the man to ask.

Is this likely to be the logical upgrade path for a OpenSolaris B134 user do you think?

I'm currently running with it and playing with it - and yeah, many are considering it a "true" successor to OpenSolaris b134. In terms of how the project will live on in the fork form - I don't know. Nobody knows. It seems to have a lot of community support, so that is a start!

So far - some cool new features, new ZFS capabilities etc...

z

Win!

Last login: Wed Sep 29 06:00:22 2010 from zebranet.zebraw
OpenIndiana	SunOS 5.11	  oi_147  September 2010
zebra@rapoosev5:~$ uname -a
SunOS rapoosev5 5.11 oi_147 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris

Have you given Nexenta a go. you can do a apt-get install gnome and gdm after you get it installed to get a desktop. I put xfce on it but could not remove it to stick gnome on. Xfce works but i dont know about gnome. or you could give StormOS a go.

I've had problems getting storm to work in 64bit on some hardware though. Don't know why - i just move on to another distro.

keep in mind if you go for a gigabyte board last time i checked the on board (realtek 8111*) networking does not work. This may have changed.

Going to have another crack at this,

The IBM server board has developed a problem and I have a replacement comming, hopefully it will be compatable.

Ok, I got back to this today and rebuilt that WHS machine with a new mobo

Now seeing M$ drive extender is dead I ran and got myself Oracle Solaris 11 Express and loaded it up

All good so far and I have created a 12 x 1tb raidz2 pool

=)

now to twiddle with it and get my media onto it and get it doing nice things for me :)

any things I should do to the raidz2 pool to get best milage? it is only setup basic at the moment..

Ok, I got back to this today and rebuilt that WHS machine with a new mobo

Now seeing M$ drive extender is dead I ran and got myself Oracle Solaris 11 Express and loaded it up

All good so far and I have created a 12 x 1tb raidz2 pool

=)

now to twiddle with it and get my media onto it and get it doing nice things for me :)

any things I should do to the raidz2 pool to get best milage? it is only setup basic at the moment..

1. Enable scrubbing on the pool as a cron job! Very important!

2. Make sure zfs set compression=on poolNameHere

3. You might want to buy a nice little SF based SSD and zpool add poolNameHereCache for some serious insane speedup

4. If you're really into it - perhaps zfs set dedup=on poolNameHere (careful with this one...lots of stuff to consider).

z

ok, auto-scrub is not running as a service, how do i get this up?

zpool has compression on and dedup :)

Also having trouble getting this box to join my win7 network