ok, auto-scrub is not running as a service, how do i get this up?

zpool has compression on and dedup :)

Also having trouble getting this box to join my win7 network

Hrrrm - auto-scrub. Didn't know it existed. I just put this in my crontab:

00 3 15 * * /usr/sbin/zpool scrub storage

ok that seems to work,

how do i spit out a report of what is active on my zpool?

dont get much feedback with this solaris buisiness...

here is what my crontab looks like

00 3 15 * * /usr/sbin/zpool scrub zpool

10 3 * * * /usr/sbin/logadm

15 3 * * 0 [ -x /usr/lib/fs/nfs/nfsfind ] && /usr/lib/fs/nfs/nfsfind

30 3 * * * [ -x /usr/lib/gss/gsscred_clean ] && /usr/lib/gss/gsscred_clean

30 0,9,12,18,21 * * * /usr/lib/update-manager/update-refresh.sh

Edited by Betzie

ok I have my cifs folders accesable to my w7 machine and can brose it but cannot write to it :|

all my data is backed up on usb caddies and I want to migrate it over to the zpool what am I doing worng?

The user/group that is accessing the server does not have write priviliges ? Or you've mounted the pool as read only ?

Been playing around with Freenas a bit, seems easy enough to do either inadvertently/by mistake/other.

Edited by Devilsmurf

I hate samba i alway feel like im playing with magic to get anything to work with it. So i cant help with the acess problem

I guess my one tip would be to create more than one filesystem. I made the mistake of building one filesystem and dumping all of my media into it, I could fix it easy enough but could never be bothered.

So I would make a video filesystem. Video is already compressed so turning on zfs compress will give you nothing.

but if you create a audio filesystem and dump all of your wavs and flac's into it compression should work pretty well

I would make a filesystem for downloads, i often findmy self downloading the same file a few times because i forgot i had it or didnt know where i stuck it ie nvidia drivers. and turn depup on on that filesystem

dont be frightened to create more than one filesystem it is pooled storage you are not partitioning your drive into hard amounts of capacity. You can dump as much or litttle data into each filesystem as you want.

Depup really hurts your ram if you can minimise the size of the dedup work then you should hurt you ram far less. If you want to dedup lots then get an ssd and add it as a cache to the zpool.

Yea doing a lot of reading.

there was an auto scrub gui here http://blogs.sun.com/constantin/entry/new_..._zfs_auto_scrub

but it is no longer hosted, shame, it looks nice..

there is a supplied script here http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/scripts/submit...pts/zpadmin.txt

but unfortunatly I do not have teh skillz to get it working yet :|

And yep I will have a few file systems in the pool but at the moment I have data all over the place on external caddies and want to dump it on the server and get everything networked and happy so I can sort it and drop it onto other filesystems within the pool.

so samba is a bitch eh?

more reading I guess :|

I've never had problems with samba working stably but getting that right mix of config options to have it work the way you want has allways been a case of trial and error - mostly error for me. I'll happily admit that ive never read any real documentation on sambas workings but still, it's difficult.