Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
jdog

GTX 480 Brands?

im going to buy a gtx 480 and wondering whats best brand to get or they all the same? im thinking of going gigabyte but ive read a few issues with them,so im thinking of another brand. i was looking at a EVGA one but Umart (thats where im getting my build from) doesnt stock them anymore so what would you recommend? I dont want to spend too much maybe $620-30 maximum.

what opitions do i have?

I wouldn't spend more than $550 on one, they are selling for like $450 on ocau if you want a used one.

i would prefer new (just for warranty,etc) i can get any of these from umart for under $600:

ECS: $569

Gigabyte: $588

Leadtek: $569

MSI:$579

POV:$550

which one should i get? i kinda leaning towards the gigabyte or MSI ( i havent heard much about any of the other brands)

Edited by jdog

See if you can score a free game or something with the card if anything is bundled with it.

PC Case gear are selling some for 549 ex P&P

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14052

i dont think any of the gtx 480s have a game with them (booo) but i am thinking of getting the gigabyte one only thing is ive never used gigabyte cards before,are they good,reilable,etc

in the us you can get mafia 2 but you cant get it here,also i dont think any of the gigabyte cards have any bonuses with them (or do they?)

i dont think any of the gtx 480s have a game with them (booo) but i am thinking of getting the gigabyte one only thing is ive never used gigabyte cards before,are they good,reilable,etc

in the us you can get mafia 2 but you cant get it here,also i dont think any of the gigabyte cards have any bonuses with them (or do they?)

Not recently, but sometimes I see it. Maybe they think us Australians don't deserve free games anymore.

I find gigabyte gear reliable.

I usually stick to corsair and gigabyte gear these days because of this.

sweet ill go with the gigabyte one!

(can someone pester the companies to give us some free games with the stuff we buy? i mean the world doesnt evolve just round the US....)

Edited by jdog

you know another alternative would be to pick up 2 GTX460's

yes, but if i do that then im limited on upgrade choices...

what about 2 GTX465's and unlock them to GTX470's

its just for the money you are spending I'd be waiting for the new cards, well actually I am, can't wait to hit up the benchmark thread with some awesome scores.

what about 2 GTX465's and unlock them to GTX470's

its just for the money you are spending I'd be waiting for the new cards, well actually I am, can't wait to hit up the benchmark thread with some awesome scores.

i would wait,but the thing is im getting this system in the next week or 2 so its kind of urgent...

also couldnt you only do that with the early ones? you cant still do it now can you?

Edited by jdog

well get a stop gap card like im doing, im getting a HD5750 for $130 to hold me over, I can put up with bad frame rates for 2 months if it means I don't lose like $200 in value on the 5850.

well get a stop gap card like im doing, im getting a HD5750 for $130 to hold me over, I can put up with bad frame rates for 2 months if it means I don't lose like $200 in value on the 5850.

good point,that will save me some money then when nvidia releases there new batch of cards ( say, a 512 version of the 480) ill buy that then and have more peformance then i would of got if i had brought it now.

what would you recoomend?

(that is capable of doing 3ds max and photoshop well as well of playing games on a 17" or 23" monitor?

Edited by jdog

My $50 HD 4850 was my stop gap card, plus it was a nice upgrade. I had planned to get a HD 5770... It'll be GTX 460 or HD 67xx now

Depending on what you have, a GTX 460 or HD 57x0 would be a nice card to have temporarily

Edited by nobody813

My $50 HD 4850 was my stop gap card, plus it was a nice upgrade. I had planned to get a HD 5770... It'll be GTX 460 or HD 67xx now

Depending on what you have, a GTX 460 or HD 57x0 would be a nice card to have temporarily

i currently have a palait 9600GT (thats playing up) so im thinking either a gtx 460 or gtx 465 as a stop gap card would that be suitable for photoshop and 3ds max to work well? as well as play games?

good point,that will save me some money then when nvidia releases there new batch of cards ( say, a 512 version of the 480) ill buy that then and have more peformance then i would of got if i had brought it now.

(that is capable of doing 3ds max and photoshop well as well of playing games on a 17" or 23" monitor?

not really sure, maybe a GT250? GT450? not sure what your tolerances for performance in games is.

not really sure, maybe a GT250? GT450? not sure what your tolerances for performance in games is.

something which doesnt go like a slideshow and can play at good levels (30fps)

A midrange card or higher will do nicely. Something like a GTS 450 or HD 5750 would be great

Looking at what you want, a GTS 450 would be good. They are quiet, use minimal power for a fermi, and perform well for their price (especially in yours apps as it's a Nvidia)

And, if you end up getting a GTX 480 later on down the track, you have a PhysX card

A midrange card or higher will do nicely. Something like a GTS 450 or HD 5750 would be great

Looking at what you want, a GTS 450 would be good. They are quiet, use minimal power for a fermi, and perform well for their price (especially in yours apps as it's a Nvidia)

And, if you end up getting a GTX 480 later on down the track, you have a PhysX card

good point,i may do that. if i do would i be able to have 480 SLI+physX+Sound card+ TV tuner card on the same mobo or would it be cramped?

That is possible. You'd want some breathing room for the GTX 480, but it would work. What board did you want? And what slot does your soundcard use?

Edited by nobody813

That is possible. You'd want some breathing room for the GTX 480, but it would work. What board did you want? And what slot does your soundcard use?

im going to be getting the gigabyte X58A-UD7 v2 motherboard and the soundcard will be a pcie x1 one (most likely a creative or asus one)

Edited by jdog

im going to be getting the gigabyte X58A-UD7 v2 motherboard and the soundcard will be a pcie one (most likely a creative or asus one)

Posted Image

Put the GTX 480 in the top x16 slot, GTS 450 in 2nd x16 slot, and sound card anywhere else

im going to be getting the gigabyte X58A-UD7 v2 motherboard and the soundcard will be a pcie one (most likely a creative or asus one)

Posted Image

Put the GTX 480 in the top x16 slot, GTS 450 in 2nd x16 slot, and sound card anywhere else

sweet ill do that!

thanks for the help!

(i will be posting pictures when i get the rig soon,justa question: What should i name the thread? something besides "my new build"....)

that is one hot looking board......

i cant wait to see the black and gold one of the 2011 socket boards..... i think they will give a mangasum (lol)

Edited by jdog