Sign in to follow this  
800_series

"Hardly anyone plays FPS on PC anymore"

http://kotaku.com/5643105/kinect-creator-n...s-on-pc-anymore

So apparently Mr Kudo Tsunoda, creator of the Kinect, has come out and said the exact title.

Apparently it's all about the console.

Full article here at Game Informer,

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/201...-With-Kudo.aspx

All I have to say is "WHAT?"

I don't know how many times I've been in this subforum, and seen the constant bitching between gamers on how PC is better for FPS than the console, and that they still rather playing it on PC. What is this guy smoking?

If it wasn't for steam he probably would be right, however really all it is is the market fragmenting.

PC gaming is seeming small because of the massive uptake in consoles on all social levels, whereas the pc still remains for the hardcore, although to a lesser extend than yesteryear.

I can't see pc gaming dying any time in the near future, but I can see FPS becoming more prevalent on the console due to the target markets.

For my 2c, I fucking hate FPS on the console, seems cumbersome and stupid to me, but obviously thats just me

For my 2c, I fucking hate FPS on the console, seems cumbersome and stupid to me, but obviously thats just me

I've got the exact same opinion for MMO's on a console, Halo Wars anyone?

No-one plays FPS on PC.

The biggest FPS of all time: Modern Warfare 2, Halo Reach and Cod4.

All of which greatly out sell on PS360 to PC.

The PC FPS is dead, move along.

'

No-one plays FPS on PC.

The biggest FPS of all time: Modern Warfare 2, Halo Reach and Cod4.

All of which greatly out sell on PS360 to PC.

The PC FPS is dead, move along.

Posted Image

I have much to add to this subject, but once again am posting from iPhone so will just add this and leave it here:

Battlefield Bad Company 2 on PC, outsold 360 and PS3 combined by a long long way.

I've got the exact same opinion for MMO's on a console, Halo Wars anyone?

I assume you mean RTS.

Thankyou for correcting me KOTM, I was thinking of Warcraft.

Al long there's a community for a particular developer/game, the FPS will never die. Mods for Modern Warfare 1, both Left 4 Dead games etc.

The FPS on PC isn't dead, it's had it's light dimmed for a little bit.

I have much to add to this subject, but once again am posting from iPhone so will just add this and leave it here:

Battlefield Bad Company 2 on PC, outsold 360 and PS3 combined by a long long way.

Yeah, EA were pretty happy to report that Bad Company 2 passed 5 million copies sold worldwide.

Activision sold 4.7 million copies of Modern Warfare 2 in a day.

'

It sold 2.6m on the 360 and 1.8m on the PS3, can you link to how many copies were sold on the PC?

I like the cut of your jib Foods and why do we care? I thought this was the console forum. It's all relative anyway, compared to console sales? He's made an exaggerated point.

I love playing FPS games on the 360, great analogue sticks, comprehensive XBL, a vibrant community, racist 13 year olds that galvanize you into a killing spree. And besides the mouse just doesn't work as a pointing tool, it feels like a nonsensical pointing contraption.

Edited by King_TriTAN

TF2 has a massive community on PC, as does CS:S, even CS 1.6 is going still going strong and thats been around for about a decade.

Then there are all the mods, and the massive amount of people on PC who play COD4/MW2, people still play COD and COD2, people still play MOH: AA, people still play Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 etc.

There are more FPS games on PC that are being played than are even out on console.

The PC FPS isn't dying, its just not growing as much as it used to.

^Developers shafting the PC users probably doesn't help the situation, either. :P

Especially how some features on the PC are nerfed for the ease on console users.

/glares at MW2 and possibly CoD:BO...

^Developers shafting the PC users probably doesn't help the situation, either. :P

It just drives them to other alternatives, myself for example: I never was a Battlefield player until we all got fucked over by MW2 then I jumped over to BF: BC2 and love it. Edited by nesquick

I tried googleing stats for PC vs console sales and multiplayer base numbers, but came up with about zero.

Anyone else have any luck?

'

Having talked to quite a few staff and customers over the last couple of years about FPS gaming, I'm seeing the decline.

(of course this is all my experience and not cold hard facts). When I was in Cairns my workmates would organise a LAN. I had my PC ready to bring around and found out that they wanted me to bring my Xbox 360 instead for some multiplayer COD:World at War. I died a little that day. I let them borrow the console, but I didn't join in. I would have owned them all with a mouse/keyboard though and they all acknowledged that.

In fact the Games manager at my current store (Penrith) summed it up quite well - his first FPS experience was on Halo 1 on the Xbox. He's 22.

I told him that I've been a mouse/keyboard player since the mid 90s.

I think it stems from the fact that entry price point for consoles is considerably cheaper compared to PCs.

Consider how easy it is to set up a console and get a few friends gaming in your lounge room? Pretty easy isn't it and it only costs a few hundred to initially set it all up. Thats what I think the production houses are banking on.

On the flipside, PCs are most likely a minimum of $1000+ and it is a single player machine in isolation in most instances. PCs are a little more elitist IMO.

Personally, the console is great for sports, sims, platformers and party/arcade games but PC is far more suited to FPS, RTS titles.

I have played through the first Halo on Xbox and it was a bit of a chore. The lack of control on consoles for FPS kills it for me - Keyboard/Mouse FTW!

I think it stems from the fact that entry price point for consoles is considerably cheaper compared to PCs.

Consider how easy it is to set up a console and get a few friends gaming in your lounge room? Pretty easy isn't it and it only costs a few hundred to initially set it all up. Thats what I think the production houses are banking on.

On the flipside, PCs are most likely a minimum of $1000+ and it is a single player machine in isolation in most instances. PCs are a little more elitist IMO.

Personally, the console is great for sports, sims, platformers and party/arcade games but PC is far more suited to FPS, RTS titles.

I have played through the first Halo on Xbox and it was a bit of a chore. The lack of control on consoles for FPS kills it for me - Keyboard/Mouse FTW!

you can do alot more on a PC though other than just gaming, consoles can still do more than gaming but I just can't see myself typing a word document using an xbox controller for example.

you can make a PC that plays games at medium settings for about $450-500 btw, parts have become very cheap.

Edited by nesquick