Sign in to follow this  
800_series

"Hardly anyone plays FPS on PC anymore"

Lets not degrade this to a PC v console stage.

The simple fact of the matter is that the PC community is to blame for the decline of PC games in general, the problem has been software pirates (yarr).

If you were a games developer/publisher, which would you choose? A platform that allows easy access to hacking of your software so it can be downloaded and played for free or a platform that offers a degree of security with more protection to your IP?

The PC might have a better control scheme for FPS and RTS, but who the hell cares if you can't make money from it?

The simple fact of the matter is that the PC community is to blame for the decline of PC games in general, the problem has been software pirates (yarr).

If you were a games developer/publisher, which would you choose? A platform that allows easy access to hacking of your software so it can be downloaded and played for free or a platform that offers a degree of security with more protection to your IP?

The PC might have a better control scheme for FPS and RTS, but who the hell cares if you can't make money from it?

no the problem is there is more money to be made in consoles.

I believe that is what I said. I also gave the reasons.

Another reason I'd rather play a multiplayer FPS on a console because its harder to cheat.

At least if you're cheating on a console, you've earned it.

'

Definitely we multiplay FPS on Xbox when we LAN. Halo is the game of choice, but COD is there too.

Why? It's a butt load easier than trying to get the PC's to communicate, network wise.

I've held PC Lan's at my place with the same crew and it's always a larger lead time to get started.

We're all on the old side of 30 with kids and wives and stuff, so time is too precious to be wasting it on setup.

I believe that is what I said. I also gave the reasons.

yours is from a security point of view mine is from a customer base point of view, there is a difference, while what your saying is part of the problem I don't think it encapsulates why a lot of PC games are xbox 360 ports. Edited by nesquick

Can I just say this in context for Kudo.

Halo Reach: 2.6m people playing

Steam: 2.7m users logged in

That is one 360 game almost equal to the amount of people using the entire steam service, the largest digital gaming store in the world. Now I know that Reach has just been released and it will cool down after a bit but you have to admit these are impressive numbers.

+1 to what morris is getting at: that where you start makes a big difference.

Had a big long wall'o'text, but I realised that for me the big difference is the ability to use a mouse/kb that is mapped exactly the way I want it, vs a controller that always seems sluggish. How are console FPS with kb/mouse control these days? Has there ever been a play-off between kb/mouse users and controller users?

Edited by thesorehead

And thats why for the last 2+ years Xbox 360 games have been getting pirated just as much, if not more than PC games?

Halo Reach was available for download nearly a full month before it was released retail, every single xbox 360 game I've seen has been on the torrent sites atleast a few days before its due for release.

Piracy is rampant on all platforms, especially the PS3 now.

Has anyone noticed the development life cycle for a console game is much shorter than than it is for PC games these days? Anyone think maybe that has something to do with it?

Edited by nukejockey

The only way to stop piracy is to use some form of invasive activation/verification program that requires an internet connection to be able to use the game but then you upset everyone who does the right thing.

The only way to stop piracy is to use some form of invasive activation/verification program that requires an internet connection to be able to use the game but then you upset everyone who does the right thing.

I can't even remember what game it was, but a couple of years ago I got a game for PC and couldn't play it because of some activation cock up, so I ended up stealing it off the internet so I could play a game I paid money for.

'

I think Assassins Creed 2 on PC uses some system that requires you to be constantly connected to a authentication server to play the game, made a lot of people shitty but I guess theres not much people can do about it other than pirate it and make the situation snowball even more.

edit: from the steam site

A PERMANENT HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES AND TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT. SUCH CONTENT MAY ONLY BE UNLOCKED ONE SINGLE TIME WITH A UNIQUE KEY. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://assassinscreed.com

Edited by nesquick

Meh although I am required to have an internet connection I believe Steam is the answer and is pretty non-invasive.

Being an admin myself I deal with hackers and cheaters all the time and Steam does a fucking great job of weeding them out in VAC secured games, I can't see a better platform for a developer because of this and because noone with a $500+ steam account is going to hack.

I was one of the biggest pirates around until I discovered Steam, it literally stopped me pirating.

Also OZF has been chucked into uproar recently because 7 players of Div3 and higher have been VAC banned, its awesome to see.

+1 to what morris is getting at: that where you start makes a big difference.

Had a big long wall'o'text, but I realised that for me the big difference is the ability to use a mouse/kb that is mapped exactly the way I want it, vs a controller that always seems sluggish. How are console FPS with kb/mouse control these days? Has there ever been a play-off between kb/mouse users and controller users?

I think UT3 was the only console game that supported it*

*don't actually know if this is true

Very few console games support the mouse/keyboard combo. UT3 supposedly supports it (and it may only be the PS3 version. I need to do some research into this. I have confirmed none of it).

Back in the day there were a few Xbox 360/PC games that would use the Windows Live network to play against each other. Shadowrun is one off the top of my head.

If I could do something like this on Call of Duty, I'd be whipping my workmates arses without a problem. Unfortunately looks like I'll be stuck using a controller if I want to play with them.

Something else to put it into perspective - the games manager that I mentioned above. His first playstation is a PS3. His first console - an XBox (original). He is 22 years old. My first console was an Atari. After that it was a Sega Master System 2. That was years after playing games on an IBM XT (Which I still have and works. Barely)

This generation of gamers will have grown up with a console instead of a PC.

Edited by morris

Can I just say this in context for Kudo.

Halo Reach: 2.6m people playing

Steam: 2.7m users logged in

That is one 360 game almost equal to the amount of people using the entire steam service, the largest digital gaming store in the world. Now I know that Reach has just been released and it will cool down after a bit but you have to admit these are impressive numbers.

Now think of all the players that refuse to use Steam, or have it but hardly use it. :)

Now think of all the players that refuse to use Steam, or have it but hardly use it. :)

Now think of all the people who own a copy of that one game, and aren't currently playing it.

Again, PC FPS is dead, move along.

'

Edited by Foods

I think Assassins Creed 2 on PC uses some system that requires you to be constantly connected to a authentication server to play the game, made a lot of people shitty but I guess theres not much people can do about it other than pirate it and make the situation snowball even more.

edit: from the steam site

A PERMANENT HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES AND TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT. SUCH CONTENT MAY ONLY BE UNLOCKED ONE SINGLE TIME WITH A UNIQUE KEY. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://assassinscreed.com

Ubisoft's DRM doesn't work though.

Its the same as using securom but you need to log into play it every time, there are ways around it, most involve adding some IPs to the host file and cracking the UBI game launcher.

Now think of all the people who own a copy of that one game, and aren't currently playing it.

Again, PC FPS is dead, move along.

'

Sif Troll.

Its far from dead, until its impossible to find an online game of anything on PC, its hardly dead.

It might not have as big a player base as console (which i find to be quite debatable tbh)

PC FPS's are far from dead.

The closest equivalent to reading this thread would be listening to people argue about who can have more poop in their mouth. Kinda funny to begin with but it gets sadder the longer it goes on.

The closest equivalent to reading this thread would be listening to people argue about who can have more poop in their mouth. Kinda funny to begin with but it gets sadder the longer it goes on.

this is why pc gamers shouldn't post in console games and vice versa, although I acknowledged producing games for consoles was more viable

/shrugs the original comment that was linked to was made by some clown who obviously has no idea what hes on about anyway.

Edited by nesquick

I'm both, I just play FPS exclusively on PC (unless I have no choice, ala Killzone -- which I might add was EXTREMELY frustrating trying to play with a controller). :P