Sign in to follow this  
800_series

"Hardly anyone plays FPS on PC anymore"

What if you're a PC and Console gamer?

there's games that are better for both that's for sure, RTS is another genre more suited to the PC control system, imagine trying to command large armies with a bloody controller. Edited by nesquick

What if you're a PC and Console gamer?

there's games that are better for both that's for sure, RTS is another genre more suited to the PC control system, imagine trying to command large armies with a bloody controller.

It would be terrible. Which is why we're not talking about RTS.

Did anyone come up with some proper figures on FPS sales for the last few years? I'd really like to see if the trend is as huge as I think it is.

'

I've been trying too Foods and I'm struggling to find any proper figures.

Most sales figures don't split between the various platforms. And if they do, PC is usually omitted. :(

Edited by morris

I don't understand why these companies can't put up any decent sales numbers for a game and split it by platform. For marketing purposes, you'd think they'd be capable of this because they'd need this information.

You know I can't argue with Foods' "FPS on PC is dead" or anything like that.

Well not 'dead' but pretty close to it.

The conversation has shifted more towards the "why has it done this?".

And that's what we're discussing now, so yes we've moved on. Its dead / close to dying because why? Piracy? I think not, I'm putting it down to money. It's easier to program games for 1 (or 3) sets of hardware, it's easy to know roughly how many of these systems are out there and what kind of figures you'll get before the game has been released. There's just little return for the PC Market, it's harder to program for and then they're challenged with the fact that people may need to upgrade in order to play the game in the first place.

Piracy? Pfft it exists on everything. Not to mention if someone won't BUY your game but will pirate it, would they have bought it in the first place? I'll be honest, I have a bunch of games that I've bought that I wish I hadn't. Total waste of money.

they should bring back proper game demos so that people can play the first level of a game and get an idea if they like it or not...

Or make steam the prefered pc opition for games....

if companies cant stop the nwhy do they try....

the only reason i pirate stuff (not movies or games) is try them out.... if they had demos i wouldnt need to..

i really want steam to bring in that "pay card" system where you can buy $10,20,50 worth of steam credit and load it up to your account... if that was the case i would buy a load of games off steam..

Edited by jdog

i really want steam to bring in that "pay card" system where you can buy $10,20,50 worth of steam credit and load it up to your account... if that was the case i would buy a load of games off steam..

For those with a CC that system is not really useful.

1) Learning to play an FPS with a controller is easy. Tards.

Is it as accurate? No. Is it as responsive? No. Does everybody else have the same issue? Yes. Where is the problem?

2) RTS on Console will happen.. There was nothing inherently wrong with Halo Wars. There are a few things they will need to lick, like coming up with decent methods of creating groups.. but they'll get there in the end.

3) I prefer, currently, FPS and RTS on PC.. but there is absolutely no denying that PC Gaming is second fiddly by a long, long shot.

For those with a CC that system is not really useful.

it would be great for people without a CC (like myself) and little kids...they can buy all the games they want without their mum/dads credit card getting used...

make a really good xmas/birthday pressie too...

Just get a debit card

if you can use a debit card on steam then im all for that!

(can you?)

Just get a debit card

(can you?)

Yes, I am living proof. I have a MasterCard debit I use for all my online transacting.

Just get a debit card

(can you?)

Yes, I am living proof. I have a MasterCard debit I use for all my online transacting.

Sweet!

looks like im off to the bank tommrow to get myself one..

just a question can you set up a another account to link with your debit card? only have a set amount?

You will have to ask your bank about that, I just have my general use eftpos card set up as a debit card so I can use either

And that's what we're discussing now, so yes we've moved on. Its dead / close to dying because why? Piracy? I think not, I'm putting it down to money. It's easier to program games for 1 (or 3) sets of hardware, it's easy to know roughly how many of these systems are out there and what kind of figures you'll get before the game has been released. There's just little return for the PC Market, it's harder to program for and then they're challenged with the fact that people may need to upgrade in order to play the game in the first place.

Piracy? Pfft it exists on everything. Not to mention if someone won't BUY your game but will pirate it, would they have bought it in the first place? I'll be honest, I have a bunch of games that I've bought that I wish I hadn't. Total waste of money.

That doesn't explain why most new FPS sell more copies on consoles. MW2 is available on all platforms, so why didn't the PC sell more copies than the PS3 or 360?

People still own PC's, they just don't buy FPS for them any more.

'

Edited by Foods

You will have to ask your bank about that, I just have my general use eftpos card set up as a debit card so I can use either

What he said. Its just a savings account with more options!

1) Learning to play an FPS with a controller is easy. Tards.

Is it as accurate? No. Is it as responsive? No. Does everybody else have the same issue? Yes. Where is the problem?

2) RTS on Console will happen.. There was nothing inherently wrong with Halo Wars. There are a few things they will need to lick, like coming up with decent methods of creating groups.. but they'll get there in the end.

3) I prefer, currently, FPS and RTS on PC.. but there is absolutely no denying that PC Gaming is second fiddly by a long, long shot.

1) Where's the problem? - It's unresponsive, inaccurate and everyone has this issue and most people don't like it. There was no issue about whether or not we're not on the same playing field, it's that we've seen BETTER control systems / mechanisms and have to resort to this because quite frankly we don't really have a choice in the matter.

2) I doubt it, Unless things like Move / Kinect / WiiMotion become more mature ... then maybe. But so far the mouse which was invented decades ago is still easily the best option.

3) I thought we moved on from this, but yes, you are correct.

That doesn't explain why most new FPS sell more copies on consoles. MW2 is available on all platforms, so why didn't the PC sell more copies than the PS3 or 360?

'

Well at the time my PC didn't run it. And I dare say a LOT of people fell into the same boat. At the time I had no reason to upgrade a PC (why bother when no new games were coming out that needed an upgrade). So it was either spend $750 to upgrade or just buying it for $89 on the XBOX. I dare say others made the same choice.

And why is this? Because the PC has been starved of Grade A titles for years now (see my previous rant about this).

'

I'd say its more than just FPS games that aren't being purchased on PCs, I'd say it doesn't matter what Genre, PC game sales are down in all departments, apart from MMOs or PC exclusive titles. And even PC exclusives wouldn't sell nearly as many copies as they would if they were on console.

Consoles are capable of playing all games released on them, whereas PCs need people who to a degree, know what they're doing with them and they're a constant money sink. Considering someone can buy a console for the price of 3 sticks of ram, its a much cheaper, easier option. I'd say people just cant be bothered.

OH and guys, Steam are introducing a Wallet system like the PSN has.

ill ask my bank about that too becuase that would work rather well?

thanks for the heads up,i didnt know you could do that!

I don't know why this is an issue, does anyone have any concrete figures on how many people play FPS games on the PC? I know for a fact that Steam has about a maximum 70,000 people playing CS every day and that's their highest played game apparently. Let's all be honest we're using our intuition to guess how big FPS PC gaming is, hardly an educated guess.

Edited by King_TriTAN

Just get a debit card

(can you?)

Sweet!

just a question can you set up a another account to link with your debit card? only have a set amount?

You can link quite a few accounts to the physical card, but can only assign two of them for use at the eftpos terminal. One account will be assigned to the savings button, another to the cheque button. If its a visa/mastercard debit card, then the card will be linked to one of your accounts that you want to use through the visa/master system when you push credit at the terminal and sign. Usually when you setup an account (or the one you have got now is probably eligible) the card is setup then, and "belongs" to that account, for use as a via/mastercard debit card, then you can nominate the same account again, or some of your others to get assigned to the sav and chq buttons too. For some reason some people get confused thinking the card becomes its own account. It actually just a different way to access the funds you already have, that works through the visa system.

As for setting a limit, just have a certain amount in the account, and that will be all you can use on the card. A few people I know have one account for just that sort of thing. And I know of one bank (that I may or may not work for) that can set you up for a fee free account with a visa debit and no overdraw or reference fees.

And you can do it over the phone.

On the weekend.

I don't know why this is an issue, does anyone have any concrete figures on how many people play FPS games on the PC? I know for a fact that Steam has about a maximum 70,000 people playing CS every day and that's their highest played game apparently. Let's all be honest we're using our intuition to guess how big FPS PC gaming is, hardly an educated guess.

The thread title is now more correct.

Without any evidence, I can just about guarantee that the FPS player base on PC is considerably lower than Console, but its far from dead or dying, like most people are saying.

Ok well lets look at BC2 at the moment

from http://bfbcs.com/

PC players: 1 898 967

Xbox 360 players: 2 176 377

PS3 players: 1 778 140

to me it is clear PS3 is shit and... just joking :P

shows that xbox360 while being the more preferred platform is only ahead 277410 more players than the PC which is 14.6% more (think I did the maths right)

Just get a debit card

(can you?)

Sweet!

You can link quite a few accounts to the physical card, but can only assign two of them for use at the eftpos terminal. One account will be assigned to the savings button, another to the cheque button. If its a visa/mastercard debit card, then the card will be linked to one of your accounts that you want to use through the visa/master system when you push credit at the terminal and sign. Usually when you setup an account (or the one you have got now is probably eligible) the card is setup then, and "belongs" to that account, for use as a via/mastercard debit card, then you can nominate the same account again, or some of your others to get assigned to the sav and chq buttons too. For some reason some people get confused thinking the card becomes its own account. It actually just a different way to access the funds you already have, that works through the visa system.

As for setting a limit, just have a certain amount in the account, and that will be all you can use on the card. A few people I know have one account for just that sort of thing. And I know of one bank (that I may or may not work for) that can set you up for a fee free account with a visa debit and no overdraw or reference fees.

And you can do it over the phone.

On the weekend.

ill look into that...im with suncorp if that helps/matters...

The thread title is now more correct.

Without any evidence, I can just about guarantee that the FPS player base on PC is considerably lower than Console, but its far from dead or dying, like most people are saying.

Gamers always exacerbate an issue more than it needs be, an inflated title is the absolute norm.

Nesquick I assume those figures indicate every unique player online? I heard BC2 was a big success for the PC. But you know Kudo raises a good point, ten years ago you would only ever play an FPS on a PC but now it seems that consoles dwarf PC's in terms of player penetration. 10 years ago I would never have foreseen it.

Edited by King_TriTAN