Sign in to follow this  
800_series

"Hardly anyone plays FPS on PC anymore"

I don't know why this is an issue, does anyone have any concrete figures on how many people play FPS games on the PC? I know for a fact that Steam has about a maximum 70,000 people playing CS every day and that's their highest played game apparently. Let's all be honest we're using our intuition to guess how big FPS PC gaming is, hardly an educated guess.

The thread title is now more correct.

Without any evidence, I can just about guarantee that the FPS player base on PC is considerably lower than Console, but its far from dead or dying, like most people are saying.

Gamers always exacerbate an issue more than it needs be, an inflated title is the absolute norm.

Nesquick I assume those figures indicate every unique player online? I heard BC2 was a big success for the PC. But you know Kudo raises a good point, ten years ago you would only ever play an FPS on a PC but now it seems that consoles dwarf PC's in terms of player penetration. 10 years ago I would never have foreseen it.

10 years ago, there wasn't even a console capable of online play.

It was only this last gen of consoles that really pushed the envelope with online play and actually made it worthwhile. That and faster internet.

*EDIT* Also, I think those figures indicate every unique player name, several of which COULD be linked to the same EA account. But I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by nukejockey

The amount of hyperbole that this comment sparked cracks me up. Kudo is fucking tard, and an expert troll. 5 minutes on google will give you an idea.

This comment stemmed from the success of Halo, from the boss of Microsofts Kinect division. If he meant 'Microsofts FPS gaming division is dead on PC' he would be 100% correct. No ports of recent Halo games and MS busy in shutting down their various PC gMing divisions anyway (not that either of those things are particular to just MS).

The counter strike remark above is on the money. CS 1.6 and CS:Source both have 70k players online at any time.

Have run out of patience posting from phone. Will edit more in after brunch.

Edited by elfinke

I'm hopeless at playing FPS games on console, and I think it would be rather difficult for me to adapt to that. I'm going to stay playing FPS games on PC. Much better with a keyboard and mouse. :P

Since we are on the topic of FPS on consoles, is it possible to use a KB + mouse on a console? like I want to play halo reach but cbf playing it with a controller.

As far as I know, one of the very, very few (if not only) FPS that works on console with KB/M (USB) is UT3... which I think has already been mentioned in here somewhere.

I think the PS3 has specifically made (3rd party, obviously) peripherals for mouse control, but I'm not sure how well they work.

There is a 3rd party device that will let you play a KB/M on the 360

http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_xfps_360.htm

It also lets you play a DS3 on the 360, but it isn't developer tuned so I have no idea how it 'feels' which is so important to get an FPS right. Costs around a 100$. Personally as long as the developers tune the joysticks for subtle movements and for long sweeping motions the pad is a comfortable way of playing FPS games.

Edited by King_TriTAN

isnt there a thing called the "PC Gaming Alliance" which mircosoft,capcon,AMD,Intel,Dell and Nvidia joined up to?

so this makes his comment look kinda stupid...

If he's tallying the entire amount of people that play FPS and then splitting it up into who plays on what system then he is probably right, we all know which one is better but we should also realise which one is more popular. I mean look at the piece of shit named the Wii, that thing is aweful yet if you wrote: "Hardly anyone plays games on the 360/PS3 anymore" it could possibly ring true if you took the whole demographic into account.

As far as I know, one of the very, very few (if not only) FPS that works on console with KB/M (USB) is UT3... which I think has already been mentioned in here somewhere.

I think the PS3 has specifically made (3rd party, obviously) peripherals for mouse control, but I'm not sure how well they work.

dam well that blows my idea of hooking an xbox up to my U2711 screen :( Edited by nesquick

dam well that blows my idea of hooking an xbox up to my U2711 screen :(

You just blow me off like that!?

Wise words KOTM.

dam well that blows my idea of hooking an xbox up to my U2711 screen :(

You just blow me off like that!?

I was hoping for some kind of native support or software I could run but I have to use that adaptor in the video to do it.

I play FPS on the PC.

/thread

It certainly would be if Kudo had said 'no one plays FPS on the PC'. We just need one more person to confirm that they play FPS on the PC so we can establish 'hardly anyone' is a lie. Edited by King_TriTAN

I play FPS on PC as well, and no matter how many times I'v tried to play FPS on consoles it never really worked for me anywhere near as well as it does on PCs, this whole 'hardy anyone plays FPS on PC anymore' is rubbish

Tsunoda's comment is more ignorant when you read the whole article. The point isn't just that he has said "Hardly anyone plays FPS on PC anymore", but his ignorance of the industry he represents.

In an attempt to make the point about games being built for the Kinect, Tsunoda tried to draw a comparison with FPSes. "If you think about the way that first person shooters evolved, they started on the PC. People for the longest time tried to port shooters from the PC onto the console... And as long as everyone was just porting the existing shooters over to console, they weren’t as fun as the PC ones. Of course, they were built for the PC... Halo did an awesome job of building a first-person shooter exclusively for the console, and now hardly anyone plays first person shooters on the PC anymore."

This comment is flawed not just due to his ignorance of PC gaming, but the fact he seems to know very little about what he is talking about, or is twisting history to help support Microsoft.

Halo started life as a PC game, until Bungie was bought by Microsoft. The first shooters on a console to reach acclaim and a large audience were not Halo, but Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64 (Which were developed specifically for the platform, rather than brought over partway through development). Actually, there could've been something before, them I'm no expert, but my point is that there were console shooting successes before Halo.

Furthermore, Tsunoda attempts to draw a line straight from Halo to the way that console shooters are dominating the current generation. While Halo was a notable influence on the rise of console shooters, this is more likely due to the rise of fast internet connections around the world, and shooters suiting online multiplayer perfectly. At the same time, video games become more mainstream. Enter the seventh generation of consoles, with decent online capabilities, a decent selection of shooters at launch or soon after, and more and more developers onboard trying to avoid the PC's unrelated piracy issue (Which, as think was pointed out earlier to be now as common on PS3 and 360 as PC due to the recent PS3 modchip launch and the fact that the 360 was never really secure to begin with). Shooters were practically guaranteed to dominate this generations consoles, whereas the PC has seen unrelated drops in player numbers and was never 'dominated' by shooters to begin with.

The words 'hardly anyone' are pretty much meaningless anyway. On a global scale, one could claim 'hardly anyone plays video games'. One a gaming level, you could claim 'hardly anyone cares about Halo' or 'hardly anyone cares about Kinect'. This is poor word choice and badly informed analogy the whole way through.

In the end, Tsunoda has embarrassed himself, and ignited a thousand flame wars over the web, without any meaning or conviction behind the triggering comment.

In response the other issues raised in this thread, who cares what people play shooters with anyway? Some people like gamepads with thumb sticks, and some people (like me) prefer the mouse and keyboard. Both are valid ways to enjoy a game. I know people who have played shooters on PC with a gamepad, and similarly someone who went out of his way and more than a hundred dollars out of pocket to be able to play Ut3 on PS3 with a keyboard and mouse.

Also, I play FPS on PC. A few hundred pages of this and I'm sure Tsunoda will be disproven conclusively :P

Edited by lg9142

/great post

You pretty much summed up what the feelings were over at NeoGAF when this news broke, and did so rather succinctly :D

I think some of your points are dubious

Halo started life as a PC game, until Bungie was bought by Microsoft. The first shooters on a console to reach acclaim and a large audience were not Halo, but Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64 (Which were developed specifically for the platform, rather than brought over partway through development). Actually, there could've been something before, them I'm no expert, but my point is that there were console shooting successes before Halo.

But if you highlight where Kudo says "Halo did an awesome job of building a first-person shooter exclusively for the console". There is a reason why games emulate Halo and not Goldeneye and that's because Halo was the first console FPS that resembled something similar to the FPS genre on the PC. And in regards to timeline, Wolfenstien 3D was on the SNES.

This comment is flawed not just due to his ignorance of PC gaming, but the fact he seems to know very little about what he is talking about, or is twisting history to help support Microsoft.

But he hasn't twisted history, he didn't say it was the first FPS on the console or the most succesful FPS on the console but more liberally "the most awesome job of building a first-person shooter exclusively for the console", now you may say Goldeneye > Halo but each opinion is just an opinion not a corruption of the facts.

Furthermore, Tsunoda attempts to draw a line straight from Halo to the way that console shooters are dominating the current generation. While Halo was a notable influence on the rise of console shooters, this is more likely due to the rise of fast internet connections around the world, and shooters suiting online multiplayer perfectly

But wasn't FPS multiplayer on the PC popular before Halo? Counter Strike and Quake 3 were popular games in 1999, bandwidth did not ensure the dominance of FPS players on the consoles. Did you know that when Halo 2 was released it doubled XBL subcriptions and was the number one played game even on the Xbox 360 until the release of GoW.

Popular mechanics magazine even said

Doom may have invented the deathmatch, but it was Halo 2 that brought online multiplayer gaming to the larger console market.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology...preview-1955640

My point is Halo was responsible for establishing XBL as a popular medium. Halo: CE was the firs console FPS that resembled a PC FPS and Halo 2 popularized multiplayer for the Xbox. I just don't think you give enough credit to how instrumental Halo was.

Edited by King_TriTAN

I play FPS on the PC.

/thread

It certainly would be if Kudo had said 'no one plays FPS on the PC'. We just need one more person to confirm that they play FPS on the PC so we can establish 'hardly anyone' is a lie.

You are missing the point I was trying to elucidate.

I play FPS on the PC.

I am the only one that matters. Therefore this thread has concluded.

How about people just play games on the platform they feel the most comfortable playing them on?

I know it is a radical and crazy idea.

I used to love Goldeneye on N64!

I cannot get my head around using a controller for FPS, but that doesn't bother me, what does is the shite console ports for PC, it's like using keyboard to control a gamepad that controls the game, so chunky =[

The point of the matter is that PC was pretty much the cornerstone of all FPS shooters these days. How many remember any FPS on the Super Nintendo or even the Sega Genesis? None that I can think of. Tsunoda is only using the Xbox generation period which was pretty much flawed initially but gained momentum because of the sales on the console. After all, Halo did start out on the PC then ported over to the Xbox which was pretty much an extremely basic PC but in a black box.

However, he does say that "And as long as everyone was just porting the existing shooters over to console, they weren’t as fun as the PC ones. Of course, they were built for the PC." He doesn't really condemn it but I think his word is taken a little out of context here. To be honest here, I'm never a FPS console man. Tried Halo 3 with some friends and gave up. Gave my friends Goldeneye/Perfect Dark however, they got caned. Why? As lg9142 said, they were designed specifically for that purpose.

Piracy is a big issue but look at consoles as well. The Xbox wasn't that secure as was the PS2. Xbox360 wasn't great either with hardware failures and the PS3 is only starting to be hacked so the argument that piracy only happens to consoles is also flawed as both sides will be hampered by piracy.

Finally, most people that plays games casually only do so on a console. Apart from us guys here, how many of you also know someone that plays on the PC all the FPS that are on the console? I count only one here. The main issue is that the PC is just getting faster and faster and people are getting 'brainwashed' that you only need two things on the PC. Office/equivalent of Office and a web browser. Other than that, apart from other software that you might need for that hobby/work, I can't see anything else. And people these days are quite lazy in upgrades, I can understand why they'll jump ship to a console.