bladerx

First time overclocking and using 1090t m4a89gtd

Hi there guys, i recently put together my first rig and im ready to start overclocking.

Setup: Asus m4a89gtd PRO

4gb kingston hyperx 2000mhz 9-10-9-27

amd 1090t 3.2ghz black edition

noctua nh-d14

western digital sata3 1tb black caviar

gigabyte hd5850 1gb OC version

HAF X

basically my aim is 4ghz cpu and 2000mhz ram. I am trying a couple different things to see where it goes but this is what I have read online as what people are achieving (I am aware every machine is different):

ai overclock tuner: DOCP

Dram OC Profile: Profile#1

cpu ratio: 16

cpb control: enabled

cpb cpu ratio: auto

cpu bus frequency: 250

Dram requency: 2000mhz

cpu/nb frequency: 2500mhz

ht link speed: 2000mhz

cpu+nb voltage mode: manual

cpu voltage: 1.45v

cpu/nb voltage: 1.3v

cpu vdda v: auto

dram voltage: 1.65 (also tried 1.7)

ht voltage: auto

nb voltage: 1.3v

nb 1.8: auto

sb voltage: auto

sideport memory voltage: auto

cpu spread spectrum: disabled

pcie spread spectrum: disabled

cool n quiet: disabled

c1e support: disabled

asus core unlocker: disabled

I try to boot and it comes up saying overclock failed.

I did that manually through the bios and have also tried a bit in AMD overdrive. I am working on keeping the multiplier at 16 and moving the frequency up in steps of 10 with the voltage already at 1.45, testing on OCCT CPU:linpack.

Any tips on me doing anything wrong or where to go from here once i find my max frequency?

Ok for starters don't just overvolt or try to jump in to a high overclock. If you want an overclock that much you're gonna have to find your maximum stable overclock for all the individual components and I'd begin with just the CPU. Which means locking in all the other settings at stock (for the ram leave it at 1333Mhz and make sure that your hyper transport link stays at the same speed that it was at stock) and then just slowly bringing your fsb up (or raise your multiplier if you can) until you find how high the CPU can go. Many factors can limit your overclock temperatures, motherboard, memory etc. so don't even play with voltage until you've got some baseline figures.

Thanks for the input, Iv heard that to get ram to 2000mhz along with a decent cpu clock u need to raise the ht link and keep the cpu multipliers at stock, are you saying that i should do the opposite?

So raise multipliers until unstable, add voltages until stable. Repeat till unstable and lower it to previous clock.

Then how do you recommend I begin to get my ram up? How do I do this in steps?

Any advice is appreciated.

If this is your first time overclocking then you need to keep it simple to avoid damaging your parts. So don't play with voltages! It's very risky if you don't know what you're doing. So start by keeping your northbridge clock and your hyper transport bus stable at stock speed (this may require you lowering their multiplier because they usually don't have the biggest amount of oc headroom). Only raise your fsb and if you want to your CPU multiplier (not your ram or ht multiplier) because this is the simplest and safest way to start overclocking. 250mhz is really high and can be very hard to get to work so don't just jump in the deep end. Start by upping your fsb in 10mhz intervals boot to windows then benchmark and repeat until there is some stability issues. And post your results and we can help you from there.

Edited by UberPenguin

Reached 250mhz fsb easily, kept raising by 10 and when wasnt stable upped the voltage a tad. Ran at 250x16 for a while with ram at 1667 but want ram faster, changed to 280x14.5 with ram at 1867, not 100% stable - crashes in OCCT after 87 minutes, stats:

1.45v cpu

1.65 ram

1.3 cpu/nb @ 3080mhz

ht around 2000mhz

any ideas getting this stable and moving forwards to 2000mhz ram?

It looks as though something is holding the ram back.

I would try dropping the NB speed and retesting, If this is the issue then up the voltage to the NB slightly and retest.

On a side note given that you had errors occur 86mins into testing, What cooling do you have in place?

Noctua NH_D14 for the cpu, got the HAF X case, nothing else at the moment, so basically lower the speed of the NB and up the voltage at the same time? Or just lower and if that doesnt work keep it at 3000 and up the voltage? Am i correct that ram:nb should be 1:3? Also what should I be looking at as maximum temps for the NB? Thanks for the reply.

Noctua NH_D14 for the cpu, got the HAF X case, nothing else at the moment, so basically lower the speed of the NB and up the voltage at the same time? Or just lower and if that doesnt work keep it at 3000 and up the voltage? Am i correct that ram:nb should be 1:3? Also what should I be looking at as maximum temps for the NB? Thanks for the reply.

Wait 3000Mhz? It does not need to be that high, Generally 2400Mhz will be more than you need unless you are running some sort of uber overclocked Quad Sli setup.

Drop that down to near to the 2.4Ghz mark and see if you regain stability.

As to the temps the NB can run rather hot before it starts causing issues with stability, ive found that once starts going north of 70 degrees it gets a little flaky.

Mine runs at around the 60 degree mark at full load.

The ratio between the parts (other than cpu plus multi of course) does'nt really make much effect now, as apposed to back in the old Athlon days.

As to the voltage your goal should be to try to run the best OC at the lowest voltage, Higher voltage = more heat = lower clock ceiling.

k thx, i guess i read a bad post a while ago, I will try tonight when I get time. 2400mhz with as low volts as required.

So far iv tried lowering the speeds, 2500 and 2250 loaded into windows but then crashed, 2000 didnt make it. Now Im lowering voltages at 2250 (looked the most stable) then if that doesnt work il try upping the volts, anything else you recommend?

So far iv tried lowering the speeds, 2500 and 2250 loaded into windows but then crashed, 2000 didnt make it. Now Im lowering voltages at 2250 (looked the most stable) then if that doesnt work il try upping the volts, anything else you recommend?

Ok i spent a good amount of time reasearching the chipset you have and experimenting with my own system,

Ive found with my system that if i lower the speed of the RAM but tighten the latencies the OC ceiling of the chip is increased significatly (ATM this system is running at 4.2Ghz with the RAM speed at 1333Mhz.

I ran a few benchmarks with memtest, 3D Mark Vantage and a few others and found that the speed of the RAM is much less significant with the system than the clock speed.

I did however manage to get the system at 4Ghz with full speed out of the memory.

FYI the settings i ran for that FSB@200 Mutilplier@ 20.

With this you are keeping the FSB at the "stock" setting thus keeping all the components linked to the FSB at thier resspective stock settings.

Now i just need my chipset waterblock and the waterblock for my second GTX465 to turn up :P

Thanks for the reply, I am fairly new to overclocking but how did u set ur ram to 2000 with the fsb at 200? I can only set to 1600 manually and if i choose DOCP then it automatically sets it to 250x16 and ram at profile #1, and what voltages were u running?

Thanks for the reply, I am fairly new to overclocking but how did u set ur ram to 2000 with the fsb at 200? I can only set to 1600 manually and if i choose DOCP then it automatically sets it to 250x16 and ram at profile #1, and what voltages were u running?

ATM I'm running 1.5v as of yesterday, finally pushed it to 4.3 where i want it, Temps are stable at 45 degrees full load (26 Ambient).

And i had another go at the RAM issue, Seems that no matter what voltage or timings i run the RAM will not run full speed at 4Ghz or above.

Cool il try to reach that aswell then, but first things first i want to get this ram at 2000, how did u set it up for 2000? I cant get it stable anywhere. DOCP or manual?

Cool il try to reach that aswell then, but first things first i want to get this ram at 2000, how did u set it up for 2000? I cant get it stable anywhere. DOCP or manual?

Hi as i mentioned before once this CPU gets over 4Ghz most people are having issues getting the RAM to run at full speed,

ATM im having to run mine at 1400Mhz to keep it stable,

If you are really wanting to keep the ram at its recommended speed i sugguest setting it to that and then up'ing the CPU and the rest of the components around it.

Do realize that this could severely reduce the OC you will manage to get.

Just a though, Why do you need the memory to be running at this particular speed?

I do realise that i might not get 4ghz cpu and 2ghz ram at the same time, however I want to see myself the difference between ram speeds - run my own benchmarks and decide myself for my own usage what is best. I do a range of things from rendering, gaming, photo editing, movie editing, and basicaly have heard that 2ghz ram can be handy, I am getting close to stabilizing it and want to say that I have achieved it. What I have managed to get to is:

13x250 @ 1.4v cpu

2000mhz ram at 1.7v

ht 2250 @ auto volts

2750 cpu/nb @ 1.325v

nb @ 1.3v

I started at low voltages - changing the HT and CPU/NB around and this seemed to get the furthest in stability tests. Passes 3dMark06 but fails in OCCT around 20 min mark. Wondering what I should change to stabilise this. (Side note I have tried upping the cpu alongside the ram and seems to be the same stability - and all temps have been just fine)

Edited by bladerx

I do realise that i might not get 4ghz cpu and 2ghz ram at the same time, however I want to see myself the difference between ram speeds - run my own benchmarks and decide myself for my own usage what is best. I do a range of things from rendering, gaming, photo editing, movie editing, and basicaly have heard that 2ghz ram can be handy, I am getting close to stabilizing it and want to say that I have achieved it. What I have managed to get to is:

13x250 @ 1.4v cpu

2000mhz ram at 1.7v

ht 2250 @ auto volts

2750 cpu/nb @ 1.325v

nb @ 1.3v

I started at low voltages - changing the HT and CPU/NB around and this seemed to get the furthest in stability tests. Passes 3dMark06 but fails in OCCT around 20 min mark. Wondering what I should change to stabilise this. (Side note I have tried upping the cpu alongside the ram and seems to be the same stability - and all temps have been just fine)

Drop the NB backdown to around 2.4GHz and try again.

just remember you will be better off with higher core speed than a higher clock speed on the ram.

With your current settings i would say that it will be the NB giving you stability issues.

Regards,

Nick.

yea tried 2.5 and 2.25 but no good. 1 thing i noticed is that in bios after i updated it to the latest version i cant disable c1e and coolnquiet. Iv set epu to high performance - and iv read that u cant disable it. What exactly did u have ur settings at when ur ram was at 2000?

Ok so Iv done a litle bit more on it when i had the spare time, assignments still pouring in :( but Iv basically been pushing the fsb up to see where its stopping then going from there. Iv just tried 16.5x238, ht link 2149, 2629 cpu/nb, 1910 ram and trying all this with 2T timing just to give it a little more of a chance. Passed 3dmark06 fine, 30 mins of OCCT linpack gave me 50 degrees cpu temps and 60 degrees nb, this worries me, I was getting 16x250 but ram at 1600 with temps MUCH lower. Any ideas to what I should lower or raise?