JediKnight

Perth finally gets late night trading every day ...

The biggest drawback to late night trading is that now there is less reason for the womenfolk to stay at home, if they're no longer required to go out and do shopping during daylight hours.

There's an advantage to living near an IGA Middy - never understood the distinction but open later and seven days :)

It was interesting to note in another article that Coles managing director Ian McLeod complained about IGA having the monopoly after 6PM. While this is true, what he failed to mention was that during 8am-6pm, Coles and Woolworths reign supreme over any IGA store that's nearby.

Case in point, IGA Cannington. During the daylight hours, this store (being that it's right behind Carousel) has fuck all trade. I know because I go there often just to avoid the crowds at Coles/Woolies in Carousel which are hell busy.

It was 10:30am this morning and there was only myself and two other customers that I could see. The staff were utilising the ultra-low traffic to stock the shelves.

This also happens at Belmont IGA as well, and a few other stores I have been to.

When Coles and Woolies start their nightly trading, I suspect IGA will bear the brunt of any monetary loss.

IGA are probably nervous because they tend to have higher prices than the big two on most everything, and they know they can charge a premium for after 6pm trading.

An IGA "special" is a absolute bargain elsewhere.

But the snowball effect may be that IGA will lower their prices, or they'll simply stick to their guns and hope for the best.

For the record, Coles / Woolies product lines are far greater and better than IGA.

Of course, there's the usual suspects who are even bitching and moaning at this move.

What, the significant majority? (~60% of WAians voted it down in 2005)

Ever since that vote it's various vocal minorities that've been bitching and moaning that no, really, they were the majority, what they wanted was what everyone really wanted, really it was, 'cause of the regions or they just don't get it or some such nonsense.

I appreciate the reasons for wanting extended hours, but the ridiculous lines of bullshit mudslinging surrounding the issue seem to be the main thing proponents of extended hours focus on, and yet they invariably ignore or excuse the reality of what people voted that they wanted.

I am in favour of completely deregulated trading hours, provided that there are requirements that people who work outside the "standard" hours get paid more. The last time I read the National Employment Standards in the Fair Work Act, that's the industrial relations regime we had in Australia. IMO if businesses want to stay open longer, they should be able to do so, provided they can pay their workers extra and provided that they can't force people to work ridiculous hours.

At this stage, regulated trading hours are an anachronism. In this country, we have sufficient industrial relations safeguards to ensure that people aren't conned into working late for a pittance. Thus, our laws should support individual choice and allow those who wish to work late and make more money to do so.

Of course, there's the usual suspects who are even bitching and moaning at this move.

Can I make a slight correction to that??

(~60% of CITY WA's voted it down in 2005)

I don't know any country person who has voted on this issue and we don't get the benefits of it either.

Can I make a slight correction to that??

(~60% of CITY WA's voted it down in 2005)

I don't know any country person who has voted on this issue and we don't get the benefits of it either.

And yet thousands of thousands of them did vote and can be seen in that link.

This is the sort of "the numbers don't agree with me, ergo it's completely wrong" style thinking I'm talking about.

*EDIT* For the record, 53 out of 57 regions, many of them country areas, were majority against it. The few exceptions are:

Perth ~51%

Murchison-Eyre ~51%

Kimberly ~55%

Central Kimberley-Pilbara ~58%

Edited by tantryl

It was inevitable and necessary - Perth's now expanded to the point where it's inexcusable not to have it - but I wish it had come about by the majority of people realising this rather than the government having to effectively veto them.

Yes we do need it to a certain degree ... But then again WA has a habit of rejecting everything, except crappy Ferris Wheels and Bell Towers.

I was actually referring to the comments posted in the article. Lotta people bitching about how "Teenagers won't have supervision because the parents are working later hours" and so on ...

If you had daylight savings commerce would improve for the entire country, what is the real issue?

If you had daylight savings commerce would improve for the entire country, what is the real issue?

Perth gets 3,000+ hours of sunshine each year. We don't need anymore sunshine.

And if the point is that commerce would improve if we had DLS, well that just wank because there's no problem with commerce during winter when DLS isn't active in any state.

DLS is just a device for the Eastern States to pull us into line, and into their little world.

Thanks, but the line's been drawn :)

DST brings them one step closer to the rest of the country, and takes their dream of succession one step farther away.

DST brings them one step closer to the rest of the country, and takes their dream of succession one step farther away.

Well that and inherent laziness.

The Jo defence, sadly that isn't really how it works.

So, you're saying we should have it because it suits you? You chose to have it apparently, so you deal with it. Just because you chose it doesn't mean others have to, just to make your life easier. Bit lazy of you. :)

So, you're saying we should have it because it suits you? You chose to have it apparently, so you deal with it. Just because you chose it doesn't mean others have to, just to make your life easier. Bit lazy of you. :)

Hows your employment going these days? I work an 80+ hour week, I don't think I'm lazy, what about you?

And if the point is that commerce would improve if we had DLS, well that just wank because there's no problem with commerce during winter when DLS isn't active in any state.

DLS is just a device for the Eastern States to pull us into line, and into their little world.

Glad you cleared this up for me, didn't realise that DST told the sun to shine for more hours than normal.

Buffoons.

Edited by PseudoMuso

Hows your employment going these days? I work an 80+ hour week, I don't think I'm lazy, what about you?

Nice deflection. Still has nothing to do with the fact you think somewhere else should have daylight saving to make your life simpler. Like I said, lazy. :)

edit: Actually, selfish would be a better description. Sounds about right. :)

Edited by Midnighter

I have to honestly say I'm completely apathetic on the DST issue. Never quite understood all the emotion so many people have over it.

If the sun's out at 8PM, I can go to the beach after work. If it's not, then at least I can take a walk at night when it's relatively cool. Win/win for me.

As long as it's freezing cold when I go to sleep I'm happy.

So that's probably a no for the DST from me.

Awwwww, baby.

Cuddle up and make sure them bed bugs don't bite, pweeeety munchkin.

Europe can do it...USA can do it, but sleepy Perth and snoozy QLD in Australia don't seem to want to come to the party and join the majority of the western world.

What gives?

Perth gets 3,000+ hours of sunshine each year. We don't need anymore sunshine. etc etc etc

Glad you cleared this up for me, didn't realise that DST told the sun to shine for more hours than normal.

Buffoons.

I didn't say DLS told the sun what to do. I said, Perth gets enough sunshine, in fact too much bloody sunshine in a yearly period. And they certainly don't want the sun setting at 10:30pm north of the 26th Parallel, which is what would happen if Daylight Robbery were to take effect again in WA.

Western Australia has had 4 referendums on daylight saving. 1975, 1984, 1992, and 2009. All were defeated.

How many bloody times does the Government need to be told NO! ??

And considering most people who want WA to have DLS don't even live in the bloody state, I don't see how it affects them at all.

Most Westralians are quite content with the DLS issue now dead and buried. Until some other fuckwit politician decides it needs a re-run.

What annoys most of us is, if it was introduced into law it's binding, but if it's defeated, it's not binding. It should go both ways.

Europe can do it...USA can do it, but sleepy Perth and snoozy QLD in Australia don't seem to want to come to the party and join the majority of the western world.

Maybe that's what makes WA unique. We don't blindly follow what the rest of the world does. Who gives a shit what time it is in Slackjaw, Kentucky or Neckarsulm, Germany?

We only care what time it is here ... and right now, it's coffee time :)

FYI Perthians. Late Night Trading comes into effect November 1st, 2010.

Edited by JediKnight

As long as it's freezing cold when I go to sleep I'm happy.

So that's probably a no for the DST from me.

Awwwww, baby.

Cuddle up and make sure them bed bugs don't bite, pweeeety munchkin.

What gives?

To be honest I don't care, I don't even see why all these other countries have it, I can sort of understand why Europe and America would but here in Australia we have fairly long hours of sunlight anyway.

Nice deflection. Still has nothing to do with the fact you think somewhere else should have daylight saving to make your life simpler. Like I said, lazy. :)

edit: Actually, selfish would be a better description. Sounds about right. :)

Lazy and selfish? Ok, whatever helps you sleep during the day.