Morgoth

LAMS Approved road bikes

4. Full face helmet, MUCH better and safer; i've seen people smash their chins.

On this note, I once found a really great picture of a helmet that showed the % chance of hitting different sections of the helmet in the first strike during a crash. The odds of landing on your chin are about 40%. For the love of god, get a full face helmet.

4. Full face helmet, MUCH better and safer; i've seen people smash their chins.

On this note, I once found a really great picture of a helmet that showed the % chance of hitting different sections of the helmet in the first strike during a crash. The odds of landing on your chin are about 40%. For the love of god, get a full face helmet.

this is it here

Posted Image

I don't ride it much anymore, but I was pretty happy going through Ls/Ps on a third-hand Kawasaki ZZR-250. I found it a nice compromise between sporty and cruisey. Getting around 300km from a tank also gave it reasonable range. I'm not particularly tall, and also found standing astride the bike was quite comfortable, and a lot easier than some heavier bikes I've sat on.

My only issue with it is that it's not as nimble as some other 250s, but it's not like you have to try and get it to do a 180 at low speed very often.

The only reason I'd buy a bike with a bigger engine is to make life easier riding between Melbourne and Sydney.

Also, lol @ speed restrictions on Learners.

Edited by Nich...

Pants, if you get a jacket then you get pants for the same reason.

Normal denim can last almost .3 secods in a crash. I can vouch for that.

being able to walk unassisted again took a bit longer.

hit a kangaroo at 100km/h. and a whole lot of bad luck happened after that. yes, after the impact...

I went from heavy 250, to heavy 550 to 750. never felt the need to get "more power" after that. while I like the weight of modern 250's, it's mostly after developing good control technique with heavy bikes that small bikes become so much more fun. and the confidence of better control in a small bike helped with better control of the bigger bike.

Keith codes Twist of the Twist 1 and 2 are informative and dry. and maybe boring, but still haev valuable information that can help you stay alive. which is always good.

Only waited 18 months since this post, but I got my Motorcycle learners today.

I did the two day DECA course yesterday & today, then straight into ServiceTAS and did the little computer test AGAIN (I have full car license)

I had a ball, I've never ridden a two-wheeler, not even a pushbike in the last 8 years or so.

We rode almost brand new Kawasaki KLX250 roadies, wicked little bike =]

Posted Image

I went from wobbly takeoff and gimpy stopping to emergency stops, taking corners tight & slow, at speed, the rest of the stuff they do, by the end I was doing great, I was probably 2nd most competent out of the 5 of us which surprised me! The instructor was a weapon and taught really well.

I'm now putting my Quad bike up for sale to fund a road bike (the quad is an ATK 450MX race bike)

I'm looking at some hondas, namely VTR250 or CBR250, maybe CB400 if I can find one.

but before that, I want to know what people think of naked bikes, I'll be wearing some Draggin kevlar jeans, I travel ~17k each way to work on the highway with some light town riding at each end ofcourse,

I want to know if the cold or wind resistance on my legs will be a put off? Or would one really opt for fairing?

Cheers.

I'm not sure it'll make much difference for that short a commute. Go for whichever looks better to you!

(I rode a sporty bike, but I wore leather bike pants so wind and cold was never an issue for me.

We don't have LAMS in WA, just a restriction to 250cc for 1 year, but if you're after a great bike, you can't go past the VTR250. I wouldn't even look at/recommend another 250, except possibly the Hyosung 250R as its a bit bigger, depending on your size. I used to own a CBR250 but it was too small, didn't enjoy the riding position much after the novelty wore off. My mate had a VTR250 which was much better to ride. He sold it to another mate, who wrote it off about a year later, and replaced it with another VTR250 instead of a 600+ so should say something about how good they are.

naked vs faired - all about looks IMO. naked bikes look better IMO :) streetfighters even better. if it's cold in the morning, your legs will be the least of your concerns, you want gloves, a scarf and a helmet with a visor.

Hope that helps.

Edited by p0is0n

Thanks for that!

My room mate was at a dealer today selling a vtr250 for $2,800, but will take $2,500, I believe it's a 99 or 01 model with about 50,000 on it though.

buy it, send it to WA for me :) almost all 250's go for 3-4k+ here. VTRs generally 4-5k+ from what i've seen.

i don't know enough mechanically to know if 50,000k's is a lot, but I doubt it, bike engines are tough as.

take it for a ride if they'll let you and see what you think first.

Well it's cheap for here too, by around $1,000 I think, so I need to be pretty critical of it's condition

I have to agree with meowkitty's comment about sitting on the bike... especially if you think you might go for touring / long duration rides, you want to have something that is comfortable, and you can still get off and walk once you get there! The wifey had a Suzuki Across and the seat on that was painful! It was good for a ride to the shops, but a half lap of Vic and I had to help her off it!

rubberside down! dt

Another +1 for the GS500. I'd be upgrading it soon, except I have more important things to spend money on. It'll do me for another year or two at least (i'm off my lams restriction in august).

Well I've been considering getting a motorcycle for a while now, cause in my previous position, I used to ride my push bike to the station from my place (15-20mins) then from the station to work (15-20mins) and back again.

I've got the funds, and the time off to get it (two days in lieu). But I just need to get down some dates.

Besides, I've had Juggalo and Morris tip me in favor of it too. So it's definitely something that I'm striving for in the future.

but before that, I want to know what people think of naked bikes, I'll be wearing some Draggin kevlar jeans, I travel ~17k each way to work on the highway with some light town riding at each end ofcourse,

I want to know if the cold or wind resistance on my legs will be a put off? Or would one really opt for fairing?

Cheers.

Go naked for the riding you will do.

Any little oops tends to damage them and they show every mark and scrape.

Best faired bike I had was the Yamaha XJ650 turbo

Posted Image

While the sides did not come out past the legs the turn outs did a good job of keeping the wind and rain off, however most fairings don't do a lot for keeping the wind off the legs.

Did tend to cook my legs in the summer though, especially round town.

Was good when I rode it to Brisbane and back though.

Not a big fan of the small handlebar style fairings either (the ones that pivot with the handlebars) as they can cause odd handling problems in certain situations.

Good points, the VTR250 is looking better and better, after some googling, I noticed sub ~$3,000 is about right for a 99 model with 50,000k on it, just gotta make sure it's in good nic, it's at Zane's, he's pretty good.

Oh man, good timing on the resurrection of this thread. I'm tHinking of getting my Ls as well through one of those 2 day courses. Only ever rode a bike maybe twice a couple of years ago but suddenly got the itch last week. Planning to go do it maybe next month or June. I'm taking in all the info from here :) for what it's worth I reckon the naked bikes look better, but I have no idea about functionality. I've dreamed of having a Ducati monster since I was about 10, they is pretty.

They are awesome, our instructor had an angry awesome edition monster with twin pipes stacked vertical on one side, very sick!

i used to like the old monsters, but the new ones are not very pretty....

these days i'd rather street fighter a bandit, like below :P

Posted Image

i used to like the old monsters, but the new ones are not very pretty....

these days i'd rather street fighter a bandit, like below :P

[sexeh bike image]

Hells yeah, what brand are these and are they LAMS approved?

edit; nevermind, i looked at photo properties...Suzuki Bandit....and I look at their website and they are 1250cc...guessing not LAMS, ha ha, i'm not even going to look.

Edited by martyr

that one is kind of modified, but its a suzuki bandit.

I have no idea if its LAMS approved (WA doesn't have LAMS) but it does come in 250/400cc. (GSF250/GSF400)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Bandit_series

edit: just saw your edit, the one above is def not a 250, but they are around.

just saw the LAMS list and looks like any 4 stroke 250cc is allowed. They banned all the 2 strokes though.

Here is a good list: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downlo...list_120401.pdf

edit2: spotted this pic doing my looking.. also a bandit ;)

Posted Image

Edited by p0is0n

Oh nice man, i'll have a look around, I'm leaning towards the Honda CB400, except its a bit more expensive - even second hand. So might be saving a while, ha ha.

i'm in VIC btw, sorry don't want to hijack thread, but thought it was coincidental it popped back up when I've been looking around the nets and considering finally going out and getting a licence.

edit2: spotted this pic doing my looking.. also a bandit ;)

Posted Image

Good christ that's fucking ugly.

Probably my favourite bike of all time

Big, orange and loud.

Edited by aliali

So I've just been through all of this myself.

I've got a 2000 model VTR250 and I have to say I do love it, I like riding it a lot more that my sisters brand new CBR250. The only thing about the VTR250 is because it's a naked once you get above 90km/h the wind will buff you around a bit, it can be hard work over a decent distance. But get the VTR into the windy stuff and it brings a smile to your face.

It's a bit of trade off, nakeds can look really nice and don't cost the earth if you drop it. But sports bikes protect you from the wind a lot more. I do love my VTR though, it's a lot of fun to ride.

Oh nice man, i'll have a look around, I'm leaning towards the Honda CB400, except its a bit more expensive - even second hand. So might be saving a while, ha ha.

The CB400 is built like a John Dear tractor, those things rarely ever die.

I'm checking out a black 1999 vtr250 on Monday morning, it got pit passed this morning by the dealer who is selling for someone