robzy

What are your personal and professional goals?

I've been asked to answer this question for an internship application, and it surprisingly has me stumped.

My personal goal is simply to be successful, and I don't mean money. Whatever I choose to do I simply want to enjoy it, to be good at it, and to continue bettering myself.

And really, my professional goals align pretty darn closely with that.

Of course, as true as it might be, it's not the answer they are looking for. It's much too wishy washy.... *pauses*... actually, I think I might be able to turn that into a workable answer.

Anyways, what are your personal and professional goals?

Rob.

Personal - to pursue activities that will maximise my enjoyment of life

Professional - to lead my team into producing the best we can in the most efficient way possible (I manage people)

Professional goals im not sure right now. Im tossing up what if i want to keep doing what im doing or move on :S

Personal, eventually settle down with someone and see where life takes us (sounds so corny)

Take over the world with an army of flying monkeys

And find a nice pair of running shoes that i can also wear to a restaurant

Personal, eventually settle down with someone and see where life takes us (sounds so corny)

With all due respect to psyckle, that's much better than his answer ;)

psyckle: Those are the type of things that I come with too, but they bug me because they are so generic. Pretty much everyone wants to maximise their enjoyment, and to produce the best they can with their team. While totally true, I'm sure, it's a bit generic.

Rob.

Robzy, can "be successful" even be classed as a goal? I'd say no :) I'd say most people want to be "successful" by your definition of enjoyment and good at. They'd have other goals too, but "success" is maybe the ultimate high level goal, up there with "happy", which is practically how you defined successful :)

Me, I want to rich bitch! I want to drink from the trough of money :p Nah, realistically I want to have enough money to not have to stress about money - that is own my own home, have enough income generating assets that they generate income equivalent to what I make now. That's the definition of wealthy, pretty much :)

Professionally I've always wanted to start, run, and continue to operate a sucessful software company. I am currently the sole shareholder in a PTY LTD that makes a profit from software, so that's a start, but I want it to be my only income and I want to employ others, not for the purpose of making more money, but for the love of making quality software, and to provide opportunities for other like minded motivated people. I want a lifestyle business :)

Personally, I want to be fit and healthy. I want to be bigger than this Posted Image and I want to be fit enough to ride my MTB flat out for hours. More than that, I want to always be around for my kids and wife to help them how I can. That fits in with my professional goals too.

Right now:

Personal: To try new things, discovery and excitement.

Professional: Work less than 4 hours a day on a genius idea that nets me much moolah. Or make a living from the sweat of someone else's labour (trading the stock market, perhaps)

With all due respect to psyckle, that's much better than his answer ;)

psyckle: Those are the type of things that I come with too, but they bug me because they are so generic. Pretty much everyone wants to maximise their enjoyment, and to produce the best they can with their team. While totally true, I'm sure, it's a bit generic.

Rob.

How specific do you require it to be? I like swimming so I am going to ensure I swim everyday? I enjoy reading an immersive book. To me the goal can be as specific or general as the person trying to achieve the goal. If someone knows specifically what makes them happy then I guess they can state that. I find my personal happiness is achieved in many vast and diverse ways. Does it make it any better or worse? What are you trying to achieve out of knowing your goals?

to me its all eye of the beholder sort of stuff.

Robzy, can "be successful" even be classed as a goal? I'd say no :) I'd say most people want to be "successful" by your definition of enjoyment and good at. They'd have other goals too, but "success" is maybe the ultimate high level goal, up there with "happy", which is practically how you defined successful :)

Touche :P Which means I'm pretty much in the same position I was encouraging psyckle to go beyond - just trying to fake it :P

Maybe it's just that I haven't even really started on my career yet that I don't know my goals? I can't point to a particular title and say "That! I want to be that!"

And is that you in the picture? It looks like a totally different guy to your av, which - to be honest - makes me think "Apple developer" :P That kinda cool chic geek thing, as opposed to "He'll beat me up if I use the wrong C syntax."

Rob.

How specific do you require it to be? I like swimming so I am going to ensure I swim everyday? I enjoy reading an immersive book. To me the goal can be as specific or general as the person trying to achieve the goal. If someone knows specifically what makes them happy then I guess they can state that. I find my personal happiness is achieved in many vast and diverse ways. Does it make it any better or worse? What are you trying to achieve out of knowing your goals?

I wish the internet conveyed tone better. I really really don't mean to have a go at you, I'm just like, "Dude, I'm coming up with the same wishy washy goals, if I encourage you can you come up with something better?" :P

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't mean to say there's anything wrong with your goals. Realistically they're the same as mine, or anyone else, but it's frustrating because it doesn't translate well into a job application - at least, I don't feel it does.

But perhaps that's just me feeling frustrated because I don't yet know what specific industry I even want to get into yet.

Rob.

And find a nice pair of running shoes that i can also wear to a restaurant

This reminds me... I was an Athlete's Foot last year doing the whole computerised check my running pattern thing. Another guy next to me had just had his gait checked, and was being shown a pair of shoes. He asked if they were available in black. The shop guy asked why he wanted them in black, and the customer replied that he wanted to wear them with a suit. I took the opportunity to ask him if he intended to go running in a suit. Shop guy had a good chuckle (:

As a personal goal, I want to develop my musical skill as much as I can in the short time that my body is strong. I dont really think much outside this. I havent even really considered professional goals, because there is a big part of me that doubts I can live from what I am doing, so I just put it out of my mind. There are less skilled people than me making a pretty decent living from the same music, so I guess skill level is irrelevant, which is another factor that lets me put it out of my mind. Kikz mentioned having enough money to not have to worry about it. I feel the same way basically, but my experience has proven otherwise, for me. The less money I have the less I worry about it.

Edited by komuso

my personal goal is to enjoy and contribute to my immediate and wider family as much as possible. my professional goal is to make a difference.

I know, they are more guidelines than goals, that's because I believe in guidelines more than goals :)

Personal: Travel, see the world, hopefully meet someone and settle down with kids.

Professional: Already reached all my career goals, so I'll be happy if I continue doing what I am so long as I have interesting and challenging projects to work on.

Touche :P Which means I'm pretty much in the same position I was encouraging psyckle to go beyond - just trying to fake it :P

Maybe it's just that I haven't even really started on my career yet that I don't know my goals? I can't point to a particular title and say "That! I want to be that!"

And is that you in the picture? It looks like a totally different guy to your av, which - to be honest - makes me think "Apple developer" :P That kinda cool chic geek thing, as opposed to "He'll beat me up if I use the wrong C syntax."

Rob.

While I still had similar goals to now, when I was your age, my main goals were career goals. But I wasn't really sure about those. I knew where I wanted to be in years down the track, but not really sure how to get there. I remember giving my "where do want to be in 10 years" answer in a job interview for my previous job, and I said "I'd like to work to being a Project Manager, after I've worked up the ranks to senior engineer etc." I'd chosen that as a goal because at uni we were told that PM was the top of the tree, and my ego wanted me to be at the top. After about 12 months on the job I realised project management was a really rubbish job and completely not where I wanted to be (Eventually, ended up the Software Dev Manager - I suppose the technical equivalent of PM - but cross-cutting). A goal of 'be successfully' may be as accurate as you're going to get right now, but I bet after 6 months working you'll have a better idea of what you like and how you might one day define success.

I think the point is that your goals will change as you experience your career and get a better understand of your strengths and weaknesses, and as your personal goals change (usually thanks to wominz :)).

I a big fan of clearly enumerating goals and working out the minigoals associated with those biggers goals. Most people will admit, me included, that if you actively plan how you're going to reach your goals, you won't.

I wish the internet conveyed tone better. I really really don't mean to have a go at you, I'm just like, "Dude, I'm coming up with the same wishy washy goals, if I encourage you can you come up with something better?" :P

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't mean to say there's anything wrong with your goals. Realistically they're the same as mine, or anyone else, but it's frustrating because it doesn't translate well into a job application - at least, I don't feel it does.

But perhaps that's just me feeling frustrated because I don't yet know what specific industry I even want to get into yet.

It's a personal opinion, but I disagree with psyckle as far as leaving a goal as 'I want to be successful'. Psyckle said 'I find my personal happiness is achieved in many vast and diverse ways' - to me that says a goal is "to experience a diverse range of experiences", which could further be broken down to list things not yet achieved: Travel overseas, bungee jump, root a wildebeast (of the human variety), and so on. Goals are rarely static, so just actively evaluating goals each year is good chance to work out if you're on the right track for you. Or maybe I just read too many self help books? :p

--Yeah it's my Superman impression; me sans glasses, which I don't wear to the gym. Not sure why that pic may not look like my av, other than you can't see my shoulders and pecs in my av :p

Edited by kikz

Professional - Make enough money to complete my to do list, (Which as it stands is to enter the managment ladder via IT consultancy)

Personal - Complete my to do list

As for my to do list, it is ever growing. as it stands at the moment

- 3 houses, incl one in northern europe/ nothern uk, 2 in australia

- learn how to smith swords

- learn kendo

- sell my own photography

- set up a business (one from the top of my head excl the photography)

- complete a number of essay (personal interest, nothing to do with uni)

- develop a number of pc game ideas i have floating around

- an artwork to do with sound

- learn piano and turn my own song that i've made up on the piano into propper songs

- get much fitter and stronger (So I can play rugby again)

Professional, Never working a 9-5; finish studying and become that enthused guy in tweed.

Personal, see how far I can push my running, getting those crumby songs in a form to release that I'm happy with and then forget about it.

Edited by Chuck Norris(good actor

Personal: To have a stable and happy personal life, to have lots of friends around me and to have enough free time to enjoy with them.

Professional: To finish my training as a solicitor ASAP so that I can either become a barrister or open my own boutique solicitors' firm within the next two decades and to stay at the pinnacle of my chosen profession.

The problem is that these two goals compete for one another time-wise. I have a lot of drive to achieve both, though. Thus, I'd say that my biggest goal is to find that elusive work-life balance where I'm sane and happy but still ahead of the pack. It's a tough line to draw. :P