Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
argotha

Rights of Photographers

Just spent a good hour or so reading a website about the rights of photographers in Australia. A must read for semi serious and beyond photographers, definetly bookmark material.

The following by is an analysis of legal issues which apply to street photography in NSW Australia.

Created in response to objections to my Sydney Unposed project, it is written from a photographer's perspective, with a focus on what rights shooters have (and don't have) when it comes to candid photographs of people. Please note: it is not an encyclopaedia on every possible aspect of photographic law, so it does not attempt to address issues like anti-terrorist legislation, council photography permits or National Park commercial photo restrictions. Instead the sole purpose of the following is to discuss legal issues which apply to people photography only.

In case you are wondering, I am a photographer and qualified solicitor (UNSW 1991) who worked for a short while at a large Sydney law firm, before leaving the profession in 1992 to find a more honest way to make a living. So the following is based on an (ex) practitioner's understanding of Intellectual Property and Privacy Law, and not just the usual Internet Hearsay. BTW when citing this article, use “ http://photorights.4020.net ”.

Full text

(I am aware that this came up in a post by The Tick in June 2009 but in my opinion it is worth reposting)

I highly recommend the PDF downloadable from the first link. Well worth having on your mobile device if you are ever challenged.

nice read. definately bookmarking on my ipad.

on another note, it looks like my neighbor was snapped in his photo gallery :)