the_pest_xxvi

Windows phone 7

After going to android from an iPhone i'm definitely not keen to go back to a locked down, propriety OS with limited modding capabilities. That and I wouldn't use Zune or XBL in a pink fit. and no copy paste?? wtf is that about!!!

you'd think that MS would know better after the whole no copy/paste thing with iphone when it first came out.

Love the fact that android just syncs everything, and don't have to use some crappy software (like itunes) to sync contacts, music ect.

The only gripe i have with my android handset is the lack of Australian specific apps, but they are getting there.. and i'm assuming it'll be better than WP7 at launch, I can't imagine they'll roll out 100,000 apps on launch day. which should make android 2nd best after the apple store imo.

Edited by sirtrancealot

My local Telstra store finally got their demo mozart in and holy shit.

Google have done a shitful job if v1.0 of WP7 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than 2.2 of Android. Only manufacturer and telco apps, not the bloatware of Android and Windows Mobile.

Feb isn't too far to wait for copy and paste compared to IOS long wait, when did IOS get Copy and Paste and Tethering? Year 3?

I see no appeal into having an "open" mobile phone, I want a phone that works and works smoothly without fucking around with baked roms to make it work smoothly.

I think I'll be importing a focus after the 8th when I can confirm the ones linked to above really are unlocked.

All it took was 15 minutes with a handset to highlight how badly Android is the successsor to Windows Mobile.

HTC Mozart to HTC Desire.

Only smooth running Desire's I've seen have baked ROM's, at least jailbroken iphones are only for additional functionaility, not to fix a slow OS.

Was it running the stock HTC WP7 ROM?

Does Telstra have a bloaty branded ROM yet?

That's not how it works.

They can't mess with the actual ROM. All they can do is install custom apps or hubs which you can delete. It's a bit more like the iphone way of doing it with telco apps instead of having to download them yourself, they're preinstalled but can be deleted.

Doing a factory restore though reinstalls the manufacturer and telco hubs.

They can't mess with the actual ROM. All they can do is install custom apps or hubs which you can delete.

I doubt that.

I mean, I don't doubt that the facility is there for removing addons, I just doubt that you're guaranteed to be able to remove all the rubbish your telco wants you to see daily.

AT&T and their Yankee thug pals won't carry a handset unless they can taint it with immovable crap.

Edited by SquallStrife

Was it running the stock HTC WP7 ROM?

Does Telstra have a bloaty branded ROM yet?

That's not how it works.

They can't mess with the actual ROM. All they can do is install custom apps or hubs which you can delete. It's a bit more like the iphone way of doing it with telco apps instead of having to download them yourself, they're preinstalled but can be deleted.

Doing a factory restore though reinstalls the manufacturer and telco hubs.

Yep. I deleted the HTC Hub app and Foxtel and Telstra apps from my Mozart.

My only other complaint so far is that I can't completely simply sync with my outlook calendar and contacts (had to copy into Hotmail contacts first using the Hotmail connector for outlook). Head and shoulders better than my iphone 3G

They can't mess with the actual ROM. All they can do is install custom apps or hubs which you can delete.

I doubt that.

I mean, I don't doubt that the facility is there for removing addons, I just doubt that you're guaranteed to be able to remove all the rubbish your telco wants you to see daily.

AT&T and their Yankee thug pals won't carry a handset unless they can taint it with immovable crap.

AFAIK Microsoft is not letting Carriers theme, skin, or otherwise permanently modify the phone.

...The memory inside the phone is just basic sandisk microsd stuff. I waiting for someone to crack theirs open an drop a higher capacity card inside...

Edited by kikz

Had a play with one of these HTC 7 phones tonight. Dunno which one it is, but I think it's the Mozart (as he got it on telstra).

I'm torn. On one hand, it's interesting to use and I love the animations and general "prettiness". But then, those big blue squares look CRAP. It makes me feel like I'm using some new version of Symbian ffs. It's like you have these crap icons which, once you press them, launch really beautiful apps. In my opinion, it's just not consistent.

Functionally, I can't really fault it as I haven't really had to live with it. But I can tell already, that I MUCH prefer the Android homescreen. Personally, I like having as much information available as possible on the homescreen/s. With Win7 mobile, it's more like iOS where you have to launch apps to get to that information. I don't know if it's configurable or anything.

I would imagine that the Outlook and other office application integration would be awesome though.

My only other complaint so far is that I can't completely simply sync with my outlook calendar and contacts (had to copy into Hotmail contacts first using the Hotmail connector for outlook).

Does it still use ActiveSync?

AFAIK Microsoft is not letting Carriers theme, skin, or otherwise permanently modify the phone.

Will be interesting to see how that goes down over time...

My only other complaint so far is that I can't completely simply sync with my outlook calendar and contacts (had to copy into Hotmail contacts first using the Hotmail connector for outlook).

Does it still use ActiveSync?

Nope. Everything is done through Zune, as in MS copied the interaction experience of iTunes. A cool feature (again, I can only compare with iPhone, as I don't have an android) is wireless sync. If you plug your phone in to AC or other power after 10 minutes of being plugged in it'll sync with Zune via your local wireless network. Sounds cool but probably not overly useful as it requires, A) your phone to be plugged in and charging, for me that's done via USB to my pc anyway, and B) your computer to be turned on. the idea behind it syncing and charging by dropping on top of your surface coffee table is more cool :)

Functionally, I can't really fault it as I haven't really had to live with it. But I can tell already, that I MUCH prefer the Android homescreen. Personally, I like having as much information available as possible on the homescreen/s. With Win7 mobile, it's more like iOS where you have to launch apps to get to that information. I don't know if it's configurable or anything.

I would imagine that the Outlook and other office application integration would be awesome though.

Depends what you're into, but I prefer the UI of WP7 over Androind. I like the big tiles. Also, the tiles themselves update, for example the weather tile, so you don't need to click on a tile and open an app to see information.

The Office integration is ok. You can create office docs, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and onenote (who uses OneNote anyway!). I bet the integration is more compelling in an business environment though. I look forward to setting up a test exchange server and playing with that in the next few weeks :)

Edited by kikz

Nope. Everything is done through Zune, as in MS copied the interaction experience of iTunes.

I guess that fits in with renaming Exchange ActiveSync to Outlook Anywhere in Exchange 07.

A cool feature (again, I can only compare with iPhone, as I don't have an android) is wireless sync. If you plug your phone in to AC or other power after 10 minutes of being plugged in it'll sync with Zune via your local wireless network. Sounds cool but probably not overly useful as it requires, A) your phone to be plugged in and charging, for me that's done via USB to my pc anyway, and B) your computer to be turned on. the idea behind it syncing and charging by dropping on top of your surface coffee table is more cool :)

Does that sync everything or just your Outlook items?

Also, yeah, those induction charging mats are all sorts of cool. We've got one for our Wiimotes.

I look forward to setting up a test exchange server and playing with that in the next few weeks :)

That's one of the few things that WM6 actually did quite well, one would hope it's even easier to set up now.

I finally played with WP7 and woah did it blow me away compared to when i got my HTC Legend which was i was excited but i had to learn the phone for about 1 week before i knew where everything.

only downside is the 8GB internal but then to me thats a lot for a phone. I got a family and friends that have Iphone with 16 or 32GB and they've only used up a couple of gig.

i think i will wait to see how it goes a little more longer.

SquallStrife, you can uninstall all carrier and OEM apps, however if you do a hard reset (aka, factory reset) they'll be re-installed.

Personally I think android is one horridly ugly OS. I love the stylised WP7, and as more apps that use the livetiles come out you'll be able to get more and more info on your main screen without launching any apps.

SquallStrife, you can uninstall all carrier and OEM apps, however if you do a hard reset (aka, factory reset) they'll be re-installed.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I can't because I haven't used the thing.

All I'm saying is that somewhere along the line, I bet the telcos will twist the arms of the handset manufacturers, and have features enabled/disabled/locked/etc. It's just what happens. This is the first WP7 device yeah? They've got time to work it out... ;)

^ not to mention some information is presented in the lock screen, such as missed calls, emails, sms's. That is proving handy for me. Being able to quickly tell if I've received any work emails, without having to unlock and open my email client, or at least unlock is good. Just a quick click of a button on and then off to check.

All I'm saying is that somewhere along the line, I bet the telcos will twist the arms of the handset manufacturers, and have features enabled/disabled/locked/etc. It's just what happens. This is the first WP7 device yeah? They've got time to work it out... ;)

Yes perhaps. I would prefer to deal with things that are real. The reality is that telco's can't fundamentally change/disable/lock features on WP7. Their ability to install a hub/app is no different to the powers granted you and I.

The reality is that telco's can't fundamentally change/disable/lock features on WP7.

Ok, you and sicarius are both saying that this is the case, as a matter of fact.

What I'm asking is, what's stopping them? Why is WP7 different, other than "it just is".

Edit: OK, bit more Googling found me some juicy details. Impressive.

Edited by SquallStrife

I'm not disagreeing with you, I can't because I haven't used the thing.

You do realise with the iPhone they send you instructions in the mail on how to load the carrier apps yourself with your first bill? Sealed box from apple.

Windows phone 7 is lettingthe carriers do more than that and they can have pretty comprehensive apps. It's not like most users are geek enough to know you can delete them and make sure they get rid of them, hell most general users probably appreciate the carrier apps. They wont be slowing down the phone either like android.

They wont be slowing down the phone either like android.

Hahaha, bias much?

Carrier apps don't slow Android down unless you, well, run them.

When a 1GHz stock phone like the Telstra Desire is jerky and feels lowerperformance than my 3G-S with half the specs, why wouldn't I be biased?

When a 1GHz stock phone like the Telstra Desire is jerky and feels lowerperformance than my 3G-S with half the specs, why wouldn't I be biased?

Thats not with 2.2 though.

So? My 3GS didn't come with ios 4 either. It manages to run fine out of the box.

Yet if it did, you'd have to wait 5 seconds just to open your messages. At least, that's what happened with my friends 3GS when he updated, and came to me to fix it.

Even older versions of Android OS run fast, it's just that you can add a tonne of widgets and a live wallpaper which causes it to jitter slightly - it also depends on how many applications you have open simultaneously. It's like comparing apples to oranges, so to speak. You can't have all the fancy widgets and extras running and expect it to run as fast as a static array of icons on iOS.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Got my HTC trophy through vodafone yesterday and love it. The best UI i've tried no lag simple to use. My one big whinge about it is the massive amount of time it takes to sync a video through zune. 35 mins for a 42 minute vid. I wont be using this phone for media on the go but dang it was shocking waiting for it to transcode. Otherwise i'm really happy with it