Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
the_pest_xxvi

Windows phone 7

I've put the Omnia at the top of my wishlist because of the AMOLED screen. I've wanted a smart phone for a while but there's something about the Iphone I just don't like. It's basically for email, listening to podcasts, texts and light browsing, nothing fancy. Just want to be well informed before I drop almost $700 on a phone.

I really hope the next round of phones has some reasonable flash storage. 32GB or more.

8GB is ridiculous and out of date by 4 bloody years at least.

We have no chance of any quality cloud services filling the gap in Australia in the next few years.

I've put the Omnia at the top of my wishlist because of the AMOLED screen. I've wanted a smart phone for a while but there's something about the Iphone I just don't like. It's basically for email, listening to podcasts, texts and light browsing, nothing fancy. Just want to be well informed before I drop almost $700 on a phone.

Dont want to get one on contract? Shit I've been seeing HTC mozarts going for just over $300 aud on ebay for the last few weeks. if your going to be doing as you discribed then Winmo 7 will be great. Browing is nice and email intergration is a breeze.

Took me 5 mins to set-up from ripping it out of the box.

Dont want to get one on contract? Shit I've been seeing HTC mozarts going for just over $300 aud on ebay for the last few weeks. if your going to be doing as you discribed then Winmo 7 will be great. Browing is nice and email intergration is a breeze.

Took me 5 mins to set-up from ripping it out of the box.

Fuck contracts. With a TPG sim I can pay $20 month get 1GB of data and $700 of call/text credit. I've had a play with the Mozart and the Optimus but the Omnia is standing out to me the screen and the form factor are both appealing and the brief experience I've had with WP7 has been really excellent.

Edited by Aki54

Fair enough. I just went and picked one up on the telstra $49 plan because I was paying them $60 anyway so I saved some cash and got a free phone. Its true the screen on the Omina is nice but once you get a screen protector on it I swear they all look the same.

RE: "Fuck all cloud services in Australia"

I believe that windows live skydrive (ie. online storage for up to 25GB, if you have a windows live id you can use it) is meant to be linked to the phone and office app.

I believe that windows live skydrive (ie. online storage for up to 25GB, if you have a windows live id you can use it) is meant to be linked to the phone and office app.

Thanks for the heads up argotha, I had no idea about that. @ mudg3, I wasn't having a go at you. I just really hate contracts and being locked down to anything in those situations. I like being able to just drop everything and disappear if I want to.

Edited by Aki54

Thanks for the heads up argotha, I had no idea about that. @ mudg3, I wasn't having a go at you. I just really hate contracts and being locked down to anything in those situations. I like being able to just drop everything and disappear if I want to.

The WP7 Pictures app allows one to push your camera images into the Skydrive.

I know you wernt having a go at me mate. I didnt even think that :)

Those who have WP7 Mozart from Telstra on the 49 Cap plan. the usage has increased to 1GB which if better than having 500MB of data usage.

They were doing 50% data plan upgrades pretty well until they released their new plans anyway.

I got the $79 plan, then upgraded it to 3GB and am paying $84.

I got the upgrade from 500mb to 1gb and then I asked for another 1gb for free.

He said yes :)

What do the owners of these phones think?

Worth getting over Android?

How's the range/quality of apps?

App range is pretty limited still compared to Android or iPhone.

If you want lots of apps, get an iPhone or Android.

I got mine over my HTC Legend last November and I feel I've made the right choice..sure it is not perfect but its hell of a lot simpler to use and learn out of the box.. It perfect if your technical world is Microsoft :)

Apps seems to coming in more and more everyday, however it is nowhere near the amount of iPhone or Android.

As for quality.... its quite good. You'll find some unique Xbox live games,...apart from that the apps are pretty much the same on android and iphone.

The big shit i have with the apps through the marketplace is only price of the games or apps. Take...Bejeweled for example its costs i think $6.50 or $9.00 but on the iphone it is a 1.50 game. so if going with, windows phone be prepared to pay more for your apps.

Fruit Ninja on WP7 is $4.00 ... it's 99c on the iPhone. I guess it'll take time for prices to come down.

Edited by Jeruselem

Was playing with a demo unit in the local T-Life store, where does the address bar go in landscape mode for IE? I couldn't get it to come up :S

Wow I didn't notice that until just now.

Cheers, Win 7 phone it is.

It's for my missus and she doesn't really care about apps. Just wants a nice phone.

Plus I don't intend to pay money for apps - Especially since I own an N900. There's some sort of jailbreak like thing for this isn't there? Or set to be soon?

Was playing with a demo unit in the local T-Life store, where does the address bar go in landscape mode for IE? I couldn't get it to come up :S

Doesn't. Think it's meant to help keep landscape clean for reading. A scroll up and bounce type function like the iphone would be nice.

Two new updates early for this year. Rumors spreading indicate an update will come this month, will include cut and paste (wow!, lol...yes...I know). Bigger update in late August turning phone from 7 to 7.5.

WP7 Update 7.5