Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
the_pest_xxvi

Windows phone 7

Who is looking forward t WP7?

I am, it seems so simple to get where you want to go, as i found when getting my HTC Legend, it was a pain to learn.

I am but not for the same reason as you.

It should be easy to learn though. but not in the way that you want to "learn" the phone :)

Anyway blah blah, WP7 is an awesome mobile development platform, from what I've seen. And I've dev'd for iPhone and Andriod too.

I think it'll be highly polished, and a dream to develop on. But at the same time, it'll be a very limited OS, much like the iPhone was and to an extent still is. I'm not a fan of Metro either. I used to be, but now that Android has matured, it looks overly simplistic and counter-productive. It doesn't stop OEM's from putting their junk on it either. Instead it forces them to link a tile to an app which itself is an alternate home screen - nasty!

I guess I'm feeling very much neutral over it. It could be good and as someone that has been wanting to upgrade to a smart phone for the better part of a year its definately something that looks kinda cool. But I dunno, Im trying to force myself to stick with the current piece of crap until it dies...lol

Im looking forward to its minimalist style and fingers crossed it'll be great to develop for. (couple of personal apps in mind)

I've just finished my iphone contract so I'm holding off now to decide between android and WP7 and so far 7 is looking closer to what I want.

When I first heard about windows mobile 7. I was excited about getting my heads on to it. Over the last couple of months that excitement has waned.

This is due to the excessive integration of social networking on windows 7. It seems it wants to link everything with everyone and I'm not particularly fond with having to my gallery filled with facebook images and my contacts exploding with information in front of me, begging me to check out their every move. I don't mind a bit of integration but at the same time it can be a little to much and 'suffocating'. Hopefully there's a good way to 'silent' most if not all all of it until you 'need it'.

the second thing that got to me, is something .:Cyb3rGlitch:. brought up. It seems with windows 7, it'll be limiting in comparison to the try and do it all Windows mobile 6. I'm pretty sure they stated that it won't even have copy/paste. It sounds like something apple did not to long ago. It definitely won't be supporting flash - are they following apple rule book here?

thirdly, again something .:Cyb3rGlitch:. brought up, is the tiles. As good as it sounds to keep the OS the same on different manufacturers, it really doesn't allow much differentiation now does it. This was until I saw a leak video of HTC showing us a very graphical Weather app. At first im thinking, this looks great until I realised its not very intuitive or user friendly. graphics covering certain texts and transitions surely waste more time than ought to give. This tile also gave an impression that this was a home screen within a home screen which just seems a little off putting for a OS thats trying to be as minimalistic as possible.

It looks good at first but I can't say having tiles as my main screen is something i'm overly thrilled about. Just you wait til all those tiles fill up with nonsense and little transistions. It won't look so clean now.

Can't wait to see it in person though and hopefully it'll prove me wrong and it'll actually be quite intuitive. Can't say Zune made its way far enough here for me to appreciate it.

Of course, the big plus will be the ability to develop with .NET and Silverlight. Perfect for the corporate environment, where I reckon it'll shine.

I'm looking forward to seeing it's success in the market. But I'd be just as happy with Android.

I agree, that all the linking to social networking and stuff would get one my nerves. Hopefully it has that certain personalized modularity windows has, and allows one to remove crap, keep it tight, and pretty.

ive heard that nokia is looking into using it on some of there phones... now that would be a WIN

(nokia+WP7 or Android =WIN)

Edited by jdog

When I first heard about windows mobile 7. I was excited about getting my heads on to it.

Cool! Another Tasmanian :)

*ends hijack*

If Nokia come out with a Windows 7 phone, I'd be interested. I was going to get the HTC Desire but I'll wait now since the HTC Desire HD is out and now Windows 7 Mobile phones.

Who has so far not been really phased by all the W7 mobiles that were shown off on the 11th???

They all have basically the same features and none really stand out from the crowd.

At the moment if I had to choose it would be between the HD7 and Omnia 7 but even then there isnt a huge WOW factor involved.

Who has so far not been really phased by all the W7 mobiles that were shown off on the 11th???

They all have basically the same features and none really stand out from the crowd.

At the moment if I had to choose it would be between the HD7 and Omnia 7 but even then there isnt a huge WOW factor involved.

I'm using an old Nokia 6131 at the moment, so any new W7, Android or iPhone is an improvement.

I'm using an old Nokia 6131 at the moment, so any new W7, Android or iPhone is an improvement.

Thats understandable :)

im just waiting for one with a really good screen and camera....

Edited by jdog

I'm looking forward to seeing how quickly it dies. I'll never trust a windows mobile device since having my own and getting rid of it after 1 month due to it being crap and nothing working. Omnia 2, worst phone i've ever had.

I especially would never buy a 1st gen windows phone. Bugs applenty i'm thinking.

Not to mention the windows marketplace is a damn big ripoff for all the apps. can't get a single decent free app from there.

I had a play with my boss's HTC WP7 phone yesterday. I really liked it, runs really smooth, easy to navigate and the handset itself was pretty good as well. I'm reserving final judgment but it's a pretty slick day one release.

I was looking forward to Windows Phone 7 and keen to be an early adopter.

Unfortunately the UK sites advertising the Dell Venue Pro for the 8th of November all just updated their specs removing 850mhz and I'm with Telstra.

Hopefully round 2 of devices will bring an 850mhz AMOLED device with expandable memory, because round 1 just looks like a bunch of low quality screen low onboard non expandable devices when it comes to Telstra.

God I wish I could be done with itunes and apple :(

God I wish I could be done with itunes and apple :(

Amen to that

I'm stuck in a limbo where I cant confidently pick either phone7 or android and so I must sit with my overly frustrating apple until the murky waters clear.

PIcked mine up yesterday from the local telstra shop. Absolutely shits all over my iphone. God that thing sucked so hard in the speed department.

Only problem is the lack of accessories. Playing podcasts through my car stereo can't happen atm. Need to upgrade to a BMW X5 or so my workmate tells me :p

so which is better a windows 7 phone or andriod (im currently on a nokia (which i do like) running some version of symbian,man is it slow...

nokia + W7 or aniroid =WIN