Midnighter

Galileo Was Wrong: The Church Was Right

Well, at least according to this lot! I thought it was meant to be a joke, but I'm missing it if so. Apparently it's a book. In this day and age, some still believe the heavens revolve around the earth?

http://www.galileowaswrong.com/galileowaswrong/

Posted Image

The Idea

Galileo Was Wrong is a detailed and comprehensive treatment of the scientific evidence supporting Geocentrism, the academic belief that the Earth is immobile in the center of the universe. Garnering scientific information from physics, astrophysics, astronomy and other sciences, Galileo Was Wrong shows that the debate between Galileo and the Catholic Church was much more than a difference of opinion about the interpretation of Scripture.

Scientific evidence available to us within the last 100 years that was not available during Galileo's confrontation shows that the Church's position on the immobility of the Earth is not only scientifically supportable, but it is the most stable model of the universe and the one which best answers all the evidence we see in the cosmos.

Galileo Was Wrong: The Church Was Right is one of the most unique and penetrating books you will ever read. Now complete in Volumes I and II, authors Robert Sungenis and Robert Bennett take you on a tour of science and history the likes of which you would have never believed possible unless it were told to you in detailed and graphic form. Has modern science led us down the primrose path and convinced us of something that they cannot prove and that is in actuality false? Were the Fathers, the Medievals, our popes and cardinals of the 17th century correct in believing that the Earth, based on a face value reading of Scripture, was standing still in the center of the universe? Come with an open mind and allow these two authors to show you facts and figures that have been hidden from the public for a very long time. This is a page turner that you will find hard to put down, once you get riveted by the astounding material these authors have assembled for you. Prepare yourself, however. Your world will be rocked, literally and figuratively. Not only will you see from Volume I how modern science has documented for us in bold fashion that the Earth is motionless in space and occupies the center of the universe (yet have done an equally remarkable job in keeping these important facts out of our educational system), you will now see in Volume II how deeply the popes of the 17th century were involved in condemning heliocentrism, guiding the process step-by-step and finally castigating it as "formally heretical." You will also see how effusive is the data in Scripture that teaches a geocentric universe in the most detailed exegesis of Holy Writ ever presented to the public on this topic. Lastly, Volume II offers detailed and comprehensive documentation of the consensus of the Church Fathers and Medieval theologians on geocentrism. It also covers all the statements and teachings of modern popes and councils, such as Gregory XVI, Benedict XIV, Pius VII, Leo XIII, Benedict XV, The Council of Trent, Vatican I, Vatican II, and a special section on John Paul II in his re-examination of the Galileo case. These are facts and analyses that every Catholic should avail himself. The most important thing you will receive from this astounding study is a very close relationship with God. For once you see that God, his Church, and Holy Scripture have given us the unadulterated truth, proven by modern science itself, you will have no choice but to put yourself completely in His trust and care for everything else in your life.

Posted Image

Galileo Was Wrong: The Church Was Right: Abridged Version - Did the Catholic Church make a grand and embarrassing mistake when it condemned the heliocentric system under Pope Urban VIII in 1633 as “formally heretical” and “opposed to Scripture”? Has modern science proven that heliocentrism is the correct system of cosmology? Did John Paul II officially concede that Galileo was right and the Church was wrong? To the surprise of many, the answer to all three is no. Now, abridged from the original two volume set of over 1200 pages, the essential facts and figures of one of the most controversial events in the history of man has been distilled down to 700 pages (350 pages of science and 350 pages of ecclesiastical history) and put in a comfortable 6 x 9 book frame in a less expensive paperback version.

With so many headfucks in the one place, all you can do is hope for a terrorist attack.

I wonder if it's possible to construct a mathematical algorithm which plots the trajectories of observable objects while treating Earth as the central 'immoveable' point...?

With so many headfucks in the one place, all you can do is hope for a terrorist attack.

I'd rather construct a giant slingshot, and launch them into the Sun.

According to some of their whackjob friends, the sun isn't actually hot and there are aliens living on it.

According to some of their whackjob friends, the sun isn't actually hot and there are aliens living on it.

That's just....well, crazy, crazier than I imagined any nutter could be.

Sheesh!

If these nutters keep raising the bar for being crazy, the average nutter is going to have buckley's of getting committed :P

Edited by datafast69

That's just....well, crazy, crazier than I imagined any nutter could be.

Sheesh!

If these nutters keep raising the bar for being crazy, the average nutter is going to have buckley's of getting committed :P

After all your time on here, you can still say that? :P

And Lecture 2 in the series:

The Earth Really Is Flat - The Cover-up that has Ensorcelled a Globe...

I actually did laugh. :)

Unfortunately I was having a drink at the time. :P

Uh-oh.....................

I wonder if it's possible to construct a mathematical algorithm which plots the trajectories of observable objects while treating Earth as the central 'immoveable' point...?

Ptolemy came up with an explanation based on the planets moving on a circular orbit on top of their orbit around the Earth to explain the retrograde motion of the planets as explained quite well here.

If you observe the outer planets they track a path across the sky which appears to loop backwards and then move forwards again. The ONLY way that could happen, for thinking rational sane people is if the Earth is on an orbit closer to the sun than they are and we are moving past them in their larger orbits. Of course if you're a complete mind fucked lunatic you would still think the Earth is at the centre of the universe.

Jesus titty fucking Christ are there really people dumb enough to take the Church back to BC? I'm not expecting the Spanish Inquisition but...

...AHA - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately free speech allows these people to get together and talk about all sorts of fiction.

Fortunately it doesn't give them the right to be taken seriously.

I'd like to see them explain the movement of the sun and planets. Actually, check that, perhaps they'd be willing to explain how we've managed to send interplanetary space craft, apparently past, the giant gravity well called the sun.

My understanding is ...

The Earth rotates once in a 24 hour period, but the planet revolves around the sun at 66,000 km/h (approx), giving the impression that it's the Sun that is moving and the earth is stationary, hence the belief that the Earth controls the galaxy, and the Sun and oh no I've gone cross-eyed!

Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor ... not a Physicist!!!

Edited by JediKnight

Come on guys, look at this seriously. This has the backing of a lot of people, including doctors. People who have gone to university and studied for their doctorate. How many of *you* have a doctorate? Are you really going to claim to be smarter than them? Clearly, the Earth is the centre of the universe, and only a fool would claim otherwise.

Clearly I dont know how ANYONE could make the call one way or the other? To do so you have to first discover and map the WHOLE universe and then you could get a guesstimate as to our place in it. As far as that goes it is my understanding that we've only discovered a poofteenth of it so far.

Come on guys, look at this seriously. This has the backing of a lot of people, including doctors. People who have gone to university and studied for their doctorate. How many of *you* have a doctorate? Are you really going to claim to be smarter than them? Clearly, the Earth is the centre of the universe, and only a fool would claim otherwise.

the key point is universe.

when looking at our solarsystem it is hard to see how the earth is the centre of it but, when you calculate things to include the universe (not forgettign the bits we cant see or calculate) then it is perfectly clear the earth is a fixed point in the universe.

I have a degree of crass, my partner says I'm working on the PhD.