njbignell

Replicated DFS Files opening as Read-Only

We've replicated some of our SAN folders to a secondary site using DFS. The replication is working great however we have one user who cannot open any files with write permissions, he simply clicks on an excel spreadsheet (for example) and it opens up in read-only mode without even prompting him.

Has anyone got any thoughts on why this might be? It's got us all stumped and it's holding up our project of putting more servers in remote sites.

Thanks in advance.

Easiest way to tell if it is DFS causing the problem is to get him to open via the UNC path to one of the shares that is part of the replication pool. If it opens as read only then you have a permissions problem. Have you looked at the "effective permissions" tab under the securty options on the folders he is trying to access?

How is user getting to file? A share?

Must check effective/real permissions and any share permissions used. Don't forget folder permissions affect inherited file permissions too.

Is the user running Office 2010? Sometimes this opens files in read only mode, but there should be a button up the top called "Edit" which will swap it to read write.

Otherwise, double check both NTFS and sharing permissions.

Is the user running Office 2010? Sometimes this opens files in read only mode, but there should be a button up the top called "Edit" which will swap it to read write.

Otherwise, double check both NTFS and sharing permissions.

I've done some more testing and managed to produce the following:

A user from a remote office with a SAN in their site (SVR1) can access everything without any issues. They move to the main site and DFS correctly points then to the SAN (SVR2) the main site, but they cannot get write permissions on any of the shares.

If I navigate to \\SVR1\Share I still have write permissions but if I navigate to \\SVR2\Share I don't have permissions. Could this be an issue with DFS not correctly replicating the ACLs?

Also, when using the to tool on the effective permissions tab the user is shown as having full access at both ends. I've checked both NTFS and Share permissions and both appear to be fine.

And no, we're using Office 2007 across the board.

Edited by njbignell

If I navigate to \\SVR1\Share I still have write permissions but if I navigate to \\SVR2\Share I don't have permissions. Could this be an issue with DFS not correctly replicating the ACLs?

I'm pretty confident in thinking that DFS would be replicating the ACLs correctly, I imagine you've set the permissions on the roots to be different. The only thing I could suggest would be comparing the NTFS and Share permissions on both roots, and check for differences.

I'm pretty confident in thinking that DFS would be replicating the ACLs correctly, I imagine you've set the permissions on the roots to be different. The only thing I could suggest would be comparing the NTFS and Share permissions on both roots, and check for differences.

I'll have another look at the permissions tomorrow now that I've got a better idea of the symptoms, maybe I've missed something.