Morgoth

Looking for a certain keyboard

I'm not sure what other section I'd post this in..

I'm after a new board, specifically for one reason.

To have the F keys directly above the number keys without the gap.

I play NeverwinterNights alot online in a persistant world PVP server, and quickslots are on the F keys, and the game requires very fast reflexes and I just find the keys on a normal board to be too far away.

So, I'd like something along the lines of THIS, but with normal keys, not laptop keys (I find the ultra flat keys lose my spot too often when I'm not looking, if that makes sense.)

Posted Image

As you can see, the F1 is above the 1 key, unlike normal boards which have it above the 2 key, I'd like just the same spot, but no gap, but I don't know if there is one.

Anyone have an idea of what board would suit?

Or alternatively, is it possible to remap my F keys to the numbers and numbers to the F keys I wonder?

Edited by morgoth

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/35545-920-001512 mebe? Bit hard to tell, but spacebar and CTRL etc look right (EDIT: Goes on to say "Flat design, low-profile keys" - Sorry)

Also this one http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/18154-sh-keyremote But wireless

Regarding losing your keys. I put a tiny little dab of araldite onto my W key so I know I'm on it - May be worth a go

Edited by Khirareq

Misunderstood what you wanted for a keyboard and don't know of anything like that off hand. But...

The other day I ran into a program (damned if I can remember what it was called) which programmed your keyboard and game controller for each game/app. I had a play with it but couldn't get steering to work correctly on a game with my Rumblepad. Everything else seemed to work pretty well, just didn't like the digital controllers, I think. Maybe look into something like that? :-)

Edited by darklife41

How about

Posted Image

I've got one, tried it but didn't really like it - the turnoff for me was the fact the F-keys were immediately adjacent.

If you want it, I'd let it go for about 8 bucks + post.

Note that although it's got a USB port (or two?) built in, they're only USB1 though.

I have this keyboard for my MythTV Media PC.

It does a good job for a wireless lounge chair keyboard on your lap - With the inbuilt trackball its a great choice for this task.

I can't recommend it at all for a gaming keyboard. It's just not responsive enough for gaming use.

The new aluminium mac keyboard. Try it. Love it.

Seriously go to a mac store; $50. You'll love it.

The keys arent smaller; they just have no slope on the edges, providing the look of space between keys. They are GOD

The keys arent smaller; they just have no slope on the edges, providing the look of space between keys. They are GOD

I love mine to bits for gaming and typing. Great response on the keys, minimal travel distance, and the CAPS key is excellent (need to press it and hold longer to activate it). The only thing is I have trouble binding print screen.

I'm giving Rybags board a try, if it doesn't fit, then I'll look into one of those.

Edited by morgoth

The board you picture is a logitech slim, I had one from officeworks, it was kinda woefull tho.

The coolermaster alloy I am using now has same layout although by the time you get to f7 it is no longer directly above, the coolermaster alloy keyboard is the best I have ever owned, even Dan likes it :)

I find the old apple ones pretty mushy and I don't like the keypress of the new ones but they'd probably be pretty well what you're after. Pretty hard to lose your place on because of the sharp key edges. I'm just finicky about keyboards. Yet to find one I actually like. Considering trying some cherry mx based ones as I program so I feel the investment is justified. Easily would have to do 50k keystrokes a day. Probably much more.

Edited by turk

Why are we still using Qwerty. Humans are silly :(

'Cuz finding a Natural in Dvorak is passing tricky. ;P

And yes, we are.

As far as I'm aware, Qwerty was introduced to slow down type-writers from the speed causing jams or something yes??

I wish Dvorak was the standard, also that I knew how to use it :P

Typewriters had issues with type heads colliding if certain keys were pressed in combination.

Dvorak was supposedly designed to be the optimal typing keyboard, placing most used keys in the home positions.

Considering trying some cherry mx based ones as I program so I feel the investment is justified. Easily would have to do 50k keystrokes a day. Probably much more.

Ye was looking through the Cherry stuff as thought they might have something that would meet Morgoth's needs, couldn't see one though. Currently using the Cherry Strait Corded

http://www.cherry.de/english/products/bran...ed_Keyboard.htm

Not too bad but I do like the laptop style keys. Will have to see how long the lettering lasts on the key faces though and not a programmer so my daily keystrokes would be a lot less than yours.

Posted Image

I love mine to bits for gaming and typing. Great response on the keys, minimal travel distance, and the CAPS key is excellent (need to press it and hold longer to activate it). The only thing is I have trouble binding print screen.

Is there a non-wireless version of that keyboard? Sounds fabulous and perfect for my computer desk needs. I need a compact good for gaming keyboard as well...

I just recently bought an Apple keyboard (the one with full NUM pad) for work and I freaken love it! You have to change the way you work a little bit (no Insert key is a pain vSphere) but you get used to it quick.

Now I need to shell out on another one for home!

Keytweak and 'half learn mode' will fix ALL your key issues.

I use F16-F19 as windows default media keys

Is there a non-wireless version of that keyboard? Sounds fabulous and perfect for my computer desk needs. I need a compact good for gaming keyboard as well...

Yes, its $50

Keytweak and 'half learn mode' will fix ALL your key issues.

I use F16-F19 as windows default media keys

Yes, its $50

Isnt there any good compact gaming keyboards? Ones that are shorter than 17.5 inches? I've been thinking of buying the sidewinder x6 and just getting rid of the numpad period.