B82R3S

which brand of hard disk wont fail

Long story short, i had a 500gb sata harddisk die after 2 months in a pc i built. the funny thing was he had a external backup routine set but the ext harddisk was unplugged by his son a month before the failure.. lol

seagate couldnt revive the disk so they sent out a clean one as expected.

Anyway since i dont want to have to explain how hard disks are sucky and they might fail so backups are essential, which harddisk brand should i go for. I have a feeling seagate are epic suck now but thats just a inkling. but also ive had 4 seagate 500gb NS drives running for a year, and ive had a set of 6 200gb drives running for around 4-5 years.

but yeah can someone re-instil me with confidence in the general harddisk so i dont start selling systems with raid1. I understand the MTBF but im looking for a harddisk thats less inclined to fail.

thanks

All brands have the odd bad drive so it is pot luck on how long they last. Having said that I have had a pretty good run with Samsungs.

Also raid 1 is not a substitute for backups.

First thing I check if a drive has totally failed early in a PC is how hot the drive is getting. High temps can drastically shorten a drives life.

Yeah i doubt i would be able to get a customer to want to have a external backup procedure in place. That said the software is getting pretty good these days i guess.

The disk wasnt getting hot afaik, was on its own infront of a 12cm intake fan.

if you guys build pc's for people do you suggest backup routines?

All brands have the odd bad drive so it is pot luck on how long they last. Having said that I have had a pretty good run with Samsungs.

Also raid 1 is not a substitute for backups.

First thing I check if a drive has totally failed early in a PC is how hot the drive is getting. High temps can drastically shorten a drives life.

How high temps are we talking here??? over 50degrees celcius?

From my personal experience I've found Seagate= solid as a rock.

From my personal experience I've found Seagate= solid as a rock.

see i would have said the same thing but that disk failed and another mate had a disk fail =\

They don't exist.

hence the subtitle how long is a piece of string.

What im asking for is, has one brand become associated with higher quality parts and what not, which would ensure longevity over other brands?

They don't exist.

What im asking for is, has one brand become associated with higher quality parts and what not, which would ensure longevity over other brands?

Generally, Seagate.

If you require higher reliability on HDD's, then buy the enterprise versions of the size you require.

They don't exist.

Not really, all brands have had bad drives, although as far as I know none as bad as the infamous IBM Deskstar 75GXP (deathstar)

I'm glad you were specific at pointing to the 75gxp aliali. My IBM 22GXP 9.1gb is still going strong. One thing I'll always remember about that drive when I got its was when I read the phrase "Made in Hungary" on it.

No I dont reccomend a backup procedure to people, they can either put on in themselves or risk their data, its up to them.

Lately I've been going with samsung drives though.

In Seagates defence I have a pair of 80gb cuda 4's that have been running in a media server for a bit over 6 years 24/7 and they were never spun down - no powersave features. They are still alive.

Might be worth considering the special 'video recording' versions of the big name drives you can get. These ones are apparently designed for 24/7 video recording operation, so you would assume that they are made to higher standards than the garden variety models.

I think it goes that the AV drives are good for being written to consistently but not by anything demanding.

The nearline drives are the ones that are designed to be thrashed over an extended period. Of course I wouldn't be surprised if they are all just the same drive, they just cost more for the better warranty.

Samsung, in a study about a year or so ago (dont make me dig it up, caus im not) Samsung was found to have the best overall speed (read & write) but didnt top any charts (though i preffer an overall good drive to one with a weakpoint anyway)

and was noted to give the shortest warranty of all drive manufacturers.

However was also voted as the most reliable drive by some ridiculously huge poll.

Saying that ive NEVER had a samsung drive fail on me, and ive had 4 WD's fail. all have been used in the same conditions.

the worst, in my opinion, are Maxtor - really noisy, I'd bought 3x 500G drives with the plan to build a RAID_5 array, and just couldn't stand the noise - death rattles x3! I ended up puttin 1x in another comp, and used the other two singly for storage - they're generally slow to respond to, I've found. Seagate make them, which has turned me off them as a brand.

I've always had a good run with WD, and I hear Samsung are very good/reliable. personally, I'd stick to those two brands.

the worst, in my opinion, are Maxtor - really noisy, I'd bought 3x 500G drives with the plan to build a RAID_5 array, and just couldn't stand the noise - death rattles x3! I ended up puttin 1x in another comp, and used the other two singly for storage - they're generally slow to respond to, I've found. Seagate make them, which has turned me off them as a brand.

I've always had a good run with WD, and I hear Samsung are very good/reliable. personally, I'd stick to those two brands.

+1 to that those maxtors are shocking.

I've had a 200Gb samsung, and 250GB WD for around 3 years now running pretty nuch 24/7 with no failure, i've found both brand to be more quiet and cooler than seagate and maxtor.

I suppose i just pulled a couple of good drives out of the heap.

If I'm helping out a business I will recommend they use a server and backup everything to a couple of drives on it, then build them one with hot-swappable drives and tell them to put one backup drive in the safe and take another one home. I recommend to home users to have a backup plan, but many users don't want to part with the money for even a small one-step backup solution, even if you set it up for them.

A couple years back I recovered 20 years of customer records that were deleted by a virus and the business still decided to stay with it's previous backup plan of doing virtually nothing. The records had all been placed on a system not much newer than a MicroBee, green screen and all that gave you a headache from it's low refresh.

An even worse story. A local business had a tape drive which they had been backing up to forever. One day disaster, their main PC went down with drive failure. They called in someone I know to replace the HDD, install new OS and recover their backups from the tape drive. Only their was no tape in the drive, they had been backing up to empty drive for years. How they even managed to backup to an empty drive I still don't know, but I bet it was fast. :D

- what the hack am I doing, could of sworn this was a thread about backing up, oh well. I use 3 Seagate drives and a Samsung. I've never had a Seagate drive fail on me, but I've seen drives of all types fail at work over the years. I've seen a few old Quantum Fireballs (Samsung aren't they) that have failed and have been brought in by customers. I had one for years that worked fine until I pulled it apart to get the platters out (I like seeing how things work).

Use multiple backups. DVD+/-Rs are crap so make multiple copies of anything on DVD, and don't use cheap crap ones like MTV. Buy another HDD (they are cheap as ATM) and back up all your backups to it then put it somewhere fire and water proof.

I still have a Seagate that's about 7 nearly 8 years old... and it's still going strong!

I only buy Seagate because I know they are excellent drives. Sure some people get the odd lemon from them... they aren't infallible. But generally they are quieter, faster and longer lasting then any other manufacturers drives and they are priced accordingly.

Don't go off Seagate... it can't be helped you got a bad one.

from what i can tell seagate is no more reliable that wd

samsung is very good but may have a few more failures than wd\samsung (not many more) on the up side they are normally cheaper and quieter

i have owned at least one of all hdd brands listed here and then some and never had one die yet.....

the loudest hdd was a 80g wd but then the other two i ordered were very quiet

server grade drives may fail a little less i know its very uncommon to hear of a dead raptor but then not that many people use them

I still have a Seagate that's about 7 nearly 8 years old... and it's still going strong!

I only buy Seagate because I know they are excellent drives. Sure some people get the odd lemon from them... they aren't infallible. But generally they are quieter, faster and longer lasting then any other manufacturers drives and they are priced accordingly.

Don't go off Seagate... it can't be helped you got a bad one.

And I've had 17 Seagate Momentus 5400.3 drives fail.

ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE!

Well I've had bunches of different drives, after about 5 years a lot of them fail. I've had Maxtors, Western Digitals, and lately Seagates. So far the quickest one to fail was a 120 gig Maxtor I had sitting on the shelf waiting for one of my drives to croak. It sat there for a year till one of my OLD drives croaked, then after less then a year in service it failed so hard I couldn't get anything outa it, it was all ready out of warranty just from sitting, and it was the older true Maxtor drives anyways. I had a 20 gig Maxtor that ran over 6 years, then it croaked hard, so it depends on when and who made it too for me.

I haven't had a Seagate of the newer .10 style fail yet, and one has been in service probably almost 2 years, the other one is a 500 gig Maxtor version that I found new at a garage sale for 20 US, so not going to sweat it to much if it dies soon, it is more noisy then the smaller 320.10 true Seagate I boot from.

I turn on the SMART stuff and use 4 drive with things spread out between them, every time I upgrade I leave the old OS on the other drive so if boot goes I can boot the older one so I start getting or repairing as the case may be. I really need to get a huge external sometime to backup the critical stuff, I used to use a tape drive but the things are slow and prone to not working just when you need them too, at least for me.

I've only used Seagates and this my experience

40GB, was in my first pc from 6 years ago. Still going strong, it's now in my download pc and runs 24/7 after having such a long service life (+Virtualisation work as well)

80GB, bought 5+ years ago still going strong. Never an issue with it. (+Virtualisation work as well)

320GB in my XBOX 1st gen, cops a flogging still works fine. again never an issue

320GB in my case, runs fine, cops a flogging including virtualisation work.

500GB, bought it from msy. The first one failed very quickly, I'd say it was dropped in transit or something. It was replaced and the new one runs fine.

Although samsung are really cheap I'm reluctant to purchase one, but I have to get a 1TB drive in the next few weeks.

Even though I've had a good run with Seagate it doesn't mean they are fault less I'm just lucky.