B82R3S

which brand of hard disk wont fail

I've primarily used WD although have had a couple of Seagate drives, the only drive (in a desktop/server) I've had crash was a Seagate although that was years ago.

When I was building/selling PC's 5 or so years ago the only drives I had to replace where Samsung (in one case 3 in a row, the last time I put in a WD and the problems went away), in the end it's all anecdotal without facts. I talked to my supplier at the time who said that failure rates are in the low single digit percentiles and that Samsung actually had the lowest replacement rate. I've also read arguments that courier companies have more to do with failure rates than manufactures.

In the end if a manufacture has done you well stay with them unless you have a compelling reason to get something else, everybody has a horror story about one particular brand.

I recently purchased a WD 750GB and I whilst its empty I want to check it to make sure its OK. Im concerned about damage whilst in transit or some such affecting it.

Can someone please recommend a free program to do such a check to an empty HDD thoroughly?

I recently purchased a WD 750GB and I whilst its empty I want to check it to make sure its OK. Im concerned about damage whilst in transit or some such affecting it.

Can someone please recommend a free program to do such a check to an empty HDD thoroughly?

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...1=6&lang=en

Go to the above site and select your drive. The best tools to use are the ones supplied by the manufacturer. Run the most thorough scan and you can't go wrong. If there is a problem it will find it.