Sign in to follow this  
thesorehead

Cheap cooling on the cheap

Hi all,

AMD X2 4400+ / 8600GT (passive Zalman heatsink) / 500GB WD / 1TB Samsung / Antec Sonata III / Seasonic S12 II ... 430W I think. Maybe 520W... I forget.

EDIT: forgot to mention - the goal here is to make the machine quieter than it is now with a single case fan and stock AMD CPU HSF.

I'm really not sure what to get! I don't want to spend big on this machine, and I'm not comfortable with the performance "tower" style CPU HSF designs - so this Arctic Cooling unit for $17 incl thermal pad looks good.

There's a mounting point on the inside of the HDD cage for a 120mm fan - I'm thinking something like this $11 Arctic Cooling fan would be good. Working with cable ties I can do without a grille and I think PCCG has rubber fan-mount grommets and/or gaskets.

Since this box will host the FLAC and video (format undecided - suggestions?) collection, a Seagate 2TB HDD will finalise the system.

I don't care about brand (though I've had a good run with Zalman so far :--]), so if Arctic Cooling = fail, let me know!

Thanks!

Edited by thesorehead

I find the coolermaster ones pretty ugly so I'd reccommend a Hyper TX3 if you're on a real budget. It used to be about the best value for money you could get at about 30 bucks. Depends what you like.

Don't know why you don't like towers. They pretty well all are for a good reason. They work best.

I have the Arctic Cooler Freezer here with me. It does the job well (even with a hot and hungry Phenom 9500!) but unless you want to overclock, look elsewhere.

bnew - my big problem with Tower coolers is that they are typically heavy, and they sit far out from the MOBO itself. I don't like the idea of that weight wrenching at my MOBO each time I move my PC. I fully appreciate the performance advantages but IIRC the AM2 spec only supports HSF weights up to 500 g. One of the ones you linked to is in excess of 800 g!

turk - I use my computer by looking at the screen so looks aren't one of my concerns :--]. That Hyper TX3 looks simple and addresses the weight issue @ 470 g. Still not completely at ease, but it's true that the tower design is the most prevalent these days.

sora3 - not sure what you're saying there. I'm not interested in overclocking at all - I just want the machine to be silent. Are you saying that I should avoid this cooler because it's loud? It's too expensive for me anyway! :--]

Trouble is, the Hyper TX3 is $12 more than the Arctic Cooling CPU HSF in the OP, plus it looks like I'd have to dig out some thermal goop. This eats up the proposed $11 intake fan, which is bad for overall temps (esp. with a passive GPU) and means I can't run my exhaust fan on "silent".

Seeing some of the lighter-weight tower designs out there, I'll definitely consider it for my next build (most likely AMD X6). But I just can't justify spending more than is absolutely necessary on what should be the final upgrade for this box.

Given that I'm not overclocking and just want adequate, silent operation on the cheap, is there a better way than with the parts in the OP?