imp

wireless connected but no net.

After my modem died recently, I bought a new Netgear DGN 1000 all in one modem/router/wireless/expresso maker to finally venture into the world of "N" speeds.

Never had any problems with my Netgear WG614 so I thought Netgear was a safe bet.

HOWEVER...... After about 1 day of flawless connection, the internet to the wireless network dropped out. The laptops remains connected and I can log in to the router over the wireless. The wired connection works fine with internet and all functions. If I restarted alaptop, I got the message that my security key was not accepted and it would not let me connect. After trying various restarts and settings, I found that a reset of the modem bought everything back to life and all worked fine....for about another day when the same thing happened. 3 calls to Netgear later, changes to settings and stations, and they decided the router was faulty and I returned it for a replacement.

However, after 3 days, I have just had the new router do the same thing. This time, the reset only fixed it for 1 hour before I again lost connection- same symptoms.

I dont want to have to reset my router every day.

Any ideas?

Did you name your new wireless network the same as your old?

Vista and 7 remember wireless networks and their settings based on the SSID.

It can get quite messy when everything is just named NETGEAR.

Did you name your new wireless network the same as your old?

Vista and 7 remember wireless networks and their settings based on the SSID.

It can get quite messy when everything is just named NETGEAR.

Nope. New network name. deleted old network when latest router was installed and then recreated new network with a new name.

It seems like a strange problem to be having.

Have you got the latest firmware on your new modem?

Latest firmware on Modem/router. I can confirm it is a router issue as the conneciton is dropped on all wireless connections (mulitple laptops in this household).

Quite a few reports of the same issue on the netgear forum but no solutions.

Only thing I have noticed is that it seems to run very hot and has no airflow.

Latest firmware on Modem/router. I can confirm it is a router issue as the conneciton is dropped on all wireless connections (mulitple laptops in this household).

So If you connect to the network can to connection the web configuration page? Can you ping local address's on your network? Can you ping external network? Can you confirm the Netgear is syncing?

If all these work. Check DNS as that will be your issue.

So If you connect to the network can to connection the web configuration page? Can you ping local address's on your network? Can you ping external network? Can you confirm the Netgear is syncing?

If all these work. Check DNS as that will be your issue.

I can continue to connect to the router configuration page OK, but havent tried to ping the network. PCs connected via the wired ports operate as normal with full net etc access.

I can continue to connect to the router configuration page OK, but havent tried to ping the network. PCs connected via the wired ports operate as normal with full net etc access.

Not using P2P or something on the wireless computers are you? If so you may be overloading the wireless component of the modem. Hence the connection and security key issue.

If you don't mind voiding your warranty I would be opening up the case and trying the thing running "naked" and see if it is any better.

No P2P running. Not a heavy load on the network. might be a number of wireless connections though - laptop, Tivo, iphone. Old WGR614 was running with exactly the same setup and with the same connections and worked without any problems for years.

Doesnt seem to be anything happening on the PCs that is repeatable. Did it 4x yesterday. This AM no problems at all. Only issue today was that it refused to connect my iphone.

Have checked the 2.4 spectrum and have it running on the least crowded band.

Edited by imp

I have given up and returned it to the reseller and have a Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn instead. So far it is working flawlessly. I am registering a faster net connection and my laptop is connecting at N instead of G.

No more Netgear for me.